The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Beyerstein, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

I liked the original connie, the refit, A, B, C and E, but just outright disliked the look of the D. To be fair to "D", it looked better than Ent-J

With the exception of the E, the only TNG era fed ship I've liked the look of was the Akira class.

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The Primary and Secondary hull is shaped like the Ambassador-class. The Pylons and neck are shaped like the Probert-C. The only thing massively not like either is the warp nacelles, which are close to what the NX-01 got.

As to the carrier model on the wall. It is one of the "soon to be" three carriers named Enterprise. That one was the CVN-65 as it looked during the 1960s. The bridge structure is a cube with a domed array on top and is extremely distinctive. No other carrier has that bridge stricture.

The more famous carrier is CV-6 USS Enterprise from World War II. The highest decorated ship of the war, serving in nearly every battle in the Pacific.

The CVN-80 USS Enterprise would definitely not show up, since it isn't finish yet in our world.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

His obsession with gaps and overlapping surfaces makes me crazy. ;)

4. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what's been bugging me! For some reason I couldn't lay my finger on it. What would be the in-universe justification for such a design I wonder?

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I think that design would make a nice 24th century version of the Constitution class, nacelles and all. Would look totally out of place as a ship that's supposed to be 100 years older than the TOS Enterprise, though.

6. KaineMorrison

KaineMorrison Lieutenant Commander

Even better would be a Hot Tub Time Machine type of scenario!!!!!

7. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, since we're talking about all the different ships, THIS is the one I would have loved to see replace the Enterprise D:

[​IMG]

8. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

It's the USS Enterprise, either way you look at it (WW II and present).

From a real-life perspective Andrew Probert stated that he included it for scale reference, as most spectators had an understanding of the aircraft carrier size.

Since he only provided the side view, the sculptor possibly wasn't that aware of the flight deck differences or it was a deliberate artistic decision (in-universe) to feature both with one sculpture. ;)

@ GalaxyX

Is there ANY chance you would share with us, how you got hold of what appears to be a Season Seven Blu-ray screencap? :eek:
    (Yes, I realize I might have to accept "No" for an answer)

Bob

9. GalaxyX

lol no magic my friend.

I don't believe that's a Season 7 screencap, but rather someone's retexturing of the original scene.

You can read about it here:

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9148

I though it was a pretty good job approximating what the true S7 Blu-Ray remaster will look like.

10. Maple Dog

Maple Dog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have to disagree,if you want to see one U G L Y starship,look at the NCC 1701-J from Star Trek Enterprise thats one ugly POS

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the J.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And some of the TOS fans would be happier with Star Trek Online.

13. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

In talking about Eaves, didn't he try to introduce a lot of things to the TNG movies that had heavy TOS influences, but was either told to change them or otherwise?

I remember some story about the communicator, and it was thought to have one like TOS, but that didn't work out.

In relation, does anyone know if the design of the 1701-E originally called for more TOS styling and was changed?

14. GalaxyX

Not only is it dog ugly, but makes zero sense from a ship evolution point of view.

Really, why the heck does the Enterprise J look like a more sleek NX-01?

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Because that's what it generally is, a stretched out and elongated NX-01. But designer Doug Drexler also said he used some elements from a couple of unused designs lying around too. The pizza cutter--sorry, Enterprise-J--design had to be created and ready to go very quickly and cheaply for ENT's "Azati Prime."

Drexler was able to go back later and refine the design for use on his old website and the 2005 Ships of the Line calendar.

16. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The story goes that the first task Eaves was given when he was employed was to update the communicator. Having never even watched TNG, but being a big fan of TOS, he drew up some 'flip top' style communicators. When he submitted them he was gently advised that maybe he should watch some TNG before doing the next pass at them... :guffaw:

Regarding 1701-E, it was designed to be something of a call-back, but more broadly. It carries through evolutionary elements from the TOS ship, the refit, the Excelsior and the 1701-D. The only design step back he had was in realligning the nacelles, as earlier versions made the ship look unbalanced (in his own words it was "Like a chicken in a pan").

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That has actually been fleshed out twice:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107926&d=1396853677
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/...-the-NX-01-with-a-twist&highlight=Declaration

Aridas Sophia has your back at least. His fed ref site is back BTW

It's a better fit.

I love the Enterprise E and the STO Excalibur--except for the top of the saucer that is.
    Heck, I love all the Enterprises--I just might have them in a different order.

TOS, The NX-01 concept next, then the JJ prize, the refit, the Excalibur, the Ent E, and then the Ent-D coming last but not least.

Sternbach's Ent-C would be a Vengeance type ship coming after TOS but before the Excelsior, not after it. Probert's Ent-C then after Excelsior, and the design house from that joining, say, the design house of the ENT-E joining forces to produce the Enterprise-D, which still seems the most futuristic.

I've warmed to all the ships over time.

18. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those meshes are great, but really hammer home how thick and heavy the saucer section is on that design. I miss the old undercut!

19. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still think of this post every time I see the thread title. :rommie:

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The drawings don't show an underside view, the undercut could've been there.