Examples of times Troi was used well in the series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by DalekJim, Mar 12, 2013.

1. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

I suspect they thought it would short-circuit a lot of plots - it's one thing if Picard or Riker can read the poker face of the Romulan/Cardassian/whoever on the viewscreen and guess what they're up to, it's quite another if Troi can pipe up and say "Captain, the Romulan ship have planted mines at 020 mark 120". Spock wasn't afflicted by this primarily because they range-limited him - even when his mind-meld ability was introduced, it was only over short distances, and they soon limited it further to touch-only.

The problem with the character that emerged, however, was that her power was a horrible kludge of "still too powerful" and "too useless" - too powerful because she could sense deception at a million kilometres, and too useless because often they ignored this and, as everyone soon notices, just had her state the obvious - after all, if she did more than that, the plot would be over too soon. It was a simple failure of planning when they set up the show, and unlike other characters that were underplanned and didn't work in initial form (Worf, DS9's Bashir), they never really took steps to fix this. They should have depowered her, permanently, in the shuffle at the start of S2 when they moved Geordi to Engineering, retooled Worf, etc and worked from there.

2. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

I may be in the minority but I liked her subplot of having difficulty passing the command test.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I may be wrong, but I always thought that Gene Roddenberry came up with Deanna Troi, and he, not being a very experienced television writer, didn't realize that her powers were a nightmare to write for convincingly, and that you could only write two scenes where she's using her natural empathy: one in which she states the obvious and one in which she solves everything instantly.

4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I just watched "The Loss" last night (cosmic string). She is really effective in that episode, having to deal with a sudden and painful disability. Marina Sirtis can act, and when they gave her good opportunity to do so, she did very well.

5. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember reading some quotes from Gene around the beginning of the series explaining how it would be hard to make a full telepath work: a character who's constantly bombarded with everyone's thoughts, who sees their companions say one thing and think another, etc. They'd turn into a quivering neurotic in short order. This is supposedly the reason Deanna was made just an empath.

Of course, that doesn't explain why Lwaxana Troi had no problem with it.

I think those quotes are in an old fanzine article. I'll have to go home and dig it out.