Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 18, 2011.

?

How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2012.
  1. A+

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. A

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. A-

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. B+

27 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

I haven't read the agreements, but it's seemed to me like the movie studios have rights to the original license they sought plus anything derivative of that license. For example, Sony has Spider-man and thus also right to make a Venom movie (Venom having been created for and first appeared in Spider-man). Interestingly, this is why a Fantastic Four movie couldn't feature Namor. The Namor license is / was owned by Universal, and Namor is an independent creation from decades before the Fantastic Four.

Given that, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver first appeared in X-men #4 (1964), and they were created for the X-men stories. I think 20th Century Fox has the rights. On the same token, Beast couldn't appear in Avengers even though he's just as notable for that team.

I think the Avengers movie will give some further insight. There have been rumors that...

the Avengers movie will feature the Skrull, but the Skrull are completely derivative of The Fantastic Four. However, the Avengers movie could circumvent this by using Mark Millar's Chitauri from the Ultimate Universe.

We'll wait and see how they handle that potential situation; it could give some further clarification to how these movie rights shake things out.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I've heard that Marvel actually owns the rights to the Skrulls, and Fox only owns the rights to the Super-Skrull. I don't have a link to support that, unfortunately. It's just what I've been told by others elsewhere.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

This is in line with the comics: Schmidt considers himself to be superior to the Nazis as the highest form of human life, and Hitler was afraid of him. So HYDRA has the same goals as the Nazis, but think they are the better people than the Aryan race.

Cap was part of the Proto-SHIELD group that fought against HYDRA, but Cap DID fight in normal WWII battles against the Axis powers too (they just didn't have time to show us these battles without disrupting the narrative). The movie takes place over a few years (I think), it just goes so fast you'd think it was just months.

4. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A few months for the Captain in combat. The Allied invasion of Italy was late 1943 and the war was over by the middle of 1945. Just much more intense then Vietnam or the Global War on Terror

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't FOX already use Pietro in X-Men Origins Wolverine? The speculation is that the white haired teen to the right is Quicksilver.
    [​IMG]

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

They first appeared in X-men comics so would be with the X-licence right?

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

thing is, a lot of those background mutants weren't named and some of the background mutants in the x-flicks have one character's name and another's powers...

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if the case around a lot of those background mutants was "Okay, you are suppose to be [this guy], but not really."

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

There was a kid who could run on water in the first X-Men movie, that could be Quicksilver. There was a kid who was Pyro in the first movie, but it wasn't the same actor as X2 and Last Stand.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

DVD and BluRay gets released tomorrow. I'll be picking it up for sure. :techman:

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

According to the Marvel movie wiki, this character from X-Men Origins: Wolverine was Quicksilver.

And don't forget that the first three movies had three different Kitty Prydes.

On Topic: I ordered Captain America: The First Avenger on Amazon today.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

So anyone know what Target,Walmart,Kmart will be doing for this release?

I don't want to miss a special 19.99 deal.

Last time someone on a X-men First class forum alerted me to a Kmart special 2 day $19.99 sale on the blu-ray. I quickly drove to my Kmart and purchased it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  13. Turtletrekker

As of this writing, Amazon has the 2-disk DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital version selling for $21.00.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll have to wait until later this week or possibly next to pick up the DVD. Also Wanda and Pietro were mentioned of course in X2 on Stryker's files along with a bunch of other mutants.

15. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shopped around and found the cheapest deal on the Blu-ray for Captain America today at Best Buy. Just watched the pointless deleted scenes and am listening to a pretty lively commentary right now.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Watched it on On Demand last night, and loved it. A-

I don't understand the complaints about how did he learn to fight and all that.

The movie clearly showed Skinny Steve had alot of Spirit and tried regardless of failure. Gaining muscle wouldn't change that, he'd still strive to succeed with all the "Manly Soldier things". We see when he first leaves the lab, how uncoordinated he is and he keeps at it, and by the time he catches up to the guy, he's starting to get coordinated. I think it goes without saying (or showing) that he could keep at it day after day, night after night until he became all he could be.

Shame about Bucky, though apparently everyone in the know believes he'll be revived later in the Series. If he undergoes a personality change (IE: Goes evil), I hope it doesn't ruin the character, and that he can be enjoyed as that new personality.

17. Captain Craig

Bought the bare bones edition over the weekend and watched it last night. The movie holds up extremely well in my opinion. I think Hugo did a great job with the material he had with Skull. Red Skull is a much more 'mustache spinning' baddie and for that Hugo gave him gravitas and presence where a lesser actor I think would've exposed the two dimensionality of the character.

Knowing, based on statements, the next film will have a present day focus I do enjoy knowing where the gaps are that we can have flashbacks to this era for future films.

The gal I was watching with asked the obvious question that arises, "Why does the shield come back? It's not a boomerang." Instead of trying a few of the explanations the comics have tried I just told her it was more about angles and positioning, not so much it comes back. It helped that a few times it wouldn't, like when it hits Red Skull. She was also curious about Bucky returning and the possible set up for that in this film once I laid that out.

Film is a solid B+, maybe A- imo.

18. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The extended version of the final scene (which was much better cut down, incidentally; good editing) confirmed something that I had thought from the theatrical release, namely, that SHIELD is a continuation of the SSR.

19. Turtletrekker

^When I first saw the movie I felt that there wasn't adequate explanation for Steve's survival. I felt that some of the cut dialogue that addressed that should have been kept.

20. Captain Craig

^^^^
    So there is cut dialogue that explains survival in the ice?!
    I for one wouldn't mind hearing that in some spoiler code, please.