Paramount officially announces Star Trek 3 for 2016

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Jun 19, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

OH so far..

Thank god SW will tide me over. And maybe sweep me away.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I suspect everyone in the industry and perhaps outside of it expected a 2016 release date.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I really can't see a Trek/Wars showdown taking place. You have to assume those at Paramount aren't that stupid? To use a phrase from Colonel West in The Undiscovered Country extended cut, Star Wars would clean Trek's chronometers - irrespective of individual movie quality.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The 50th mean more to a small group of fandom than it does to Paramount. If they think the best box office results will come from a delay, then they will delay it.

Yup.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thing is, after the big splash Doctor Who made with its 50th anniversary, I would imagine Paramount will want to do everything possible to replicate that for Star Trek's 50th. To do otherwise is dropping the ball in the most serious of ways.

6. BillJ

Putting a Trek film directly against a Star Wars movie would be dropping the ball in the most serious of ways. They can do other things to celebrate the 50th anniversary instead of putting a movie against the biggest space opera series ever.

We've already witness Trek struggle to a degree when dropped between Iron Man 3 and Fast and the Furious 6.

I'm a huge Trek fan, but I think it's franchise suicide to place any Trek movie, regardless of who it is made by, directly against a Star Wars film.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

In 2016 we already have the Batman/Superman movie being released on the same weekend as Captain America 3. For all we know, DC and Marvel facing off against each other will be box office gold with millions flocking to the theatres to see either movie, or perhaps even both movies on the same weekend. If that turns out to be a success, then some Hollywood bean counter is going to insist that Star Trek VS Star Wars is the natural step to take that affair.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

A November/December release seems fine. It doesn't have to be May or nothing.

9. BillJ

I believe one of those two movies will end up being moved.

10. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I think Trek vs Wars at the box office is a ridiculous idea. As much as I hate to admit it, Trek would get trounced, no matter how good the product. Even if Episode 7 sucks, it'll still do 1 billion dollars plus worldwide like the Phantom Menace did.

Look what happened to Nemesis, despite people's opinion of it. Trek needs as little competition as possible, if it doesn't do 500 mil plus the games over...

11. BillJ

With a reduced budget I think it will only have to do Into Darkness money to guarantee a sequel.

12. Smellmet

I'd still be slightly disappointed with that, look at the box office performance of say the Transformers series - each one has increased over its predecessor by a decent amount, standing still is not an option when it comes to a big budget movie franchise

13. BillJ

But it really isn't standing still if the production budget is smaller. With the competition that exists in 2016, I have a hard time seeing a Trek movie making more than $500 million.

14. Smellmet

You're probably right, but I still don't think that 500-550 is out of the question if they get the story and the marketing right. The marketing for STID was shite

15. BillJ

Can't argue that one! :techman:

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

The timing may not have been able to be helped, but if it had come out a year or so sooner, there might have been a better box office bounce coming off of ST09, too. Who knows?

Waiting another three years (from the release of STID) for ST3 is bad enough. In the meantime, Disney is getting ready to carpet-bomb theaters SW movies.

17. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How can I put this? There wasn't anything wrong with the amount of marketing. Trailers were epic and delivered too.

It was the mysterious approach they took. Khan... practically the worst kept secret in the history of secrets. The reveal was guessable from Day One and indeed most fans already knew. Going in to confirm the inevitable, suddenly the story needed to be something it wasn't. An incredible labyrinth of twists and turns, on the scale of The Usual Suspects... before Cumberbatch is finally caught and indentified. An hour and a half enough to make you completely forget what you basically already knew.

But since that was blown... Montalban's Khan was so iconic, just throw in an explanation why he now looked absolutely nothing like him. Worth attending repeated screenings to hear that one over and over again. Must've been a way...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  18. Smellmet

The trailers were great, but can you imagine the excitement they could have potentially delivered without the secrecy and the correct casting of the character? Hell they could have even included the Khaaaaan scream in it. I guess it's one of those things we'll never know.

I remember in the years between the two movies when the rumors circulated about Del Toro getting the role, I had visions of a fully realized Space Seed Khan wreaking havok in the new timeline, and I was excited about that fact to be honest, I fully expected at that point for the these new movies to be a sort of Trek's Greatest Hits to a degree. When it turned out as it did, it took me out of the film somewhat, especially the reactor room scene, but I've made my peace with it and can enjoy it for what it is, great popcorn entertainment.

19. BillJ

I seriously doubt the color of the characters skin played any part in Into Darkness underperforming. There was likely a good portion of the audience who had never seen the character before.

20. Smellmet

Maybe more fans would have turned out for it, I'm 90% pointing the finger at the secrecy more than anything else to be fair