Chakotay and Seska (Spoilers if you haven't watched S2)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Janeway’s Girl, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After watching Basics Part 2 we find out that Seska's baby is not Chakotay's as everyone thought. Did the Doctor ever tell him? Or is it just assumed that he was told?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be hilarious if the EMH wasn't allowed to tell him because of doctor/patient confidentiality with Seska :lol:

Yes he found out!

There are a lot of developments with this storyline so I would not read this thread if you don't want to be spoiled.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Lol. If they ever brought Trek back to TV; I'd love a follow up to the Chakotay/Seska baby thing. The baby being grown up by now and seeking revenge on his Papa Chakotay. After that whole spirit visit Chakotay had with his dad over becoming a father, it seemed lame to pull the rug out from under the audience like they did in Basics Part 2. Chock the paternity issue to being a problem with the EMH mark I getting this wrong. A problem noted with them being taken out of service on Starfleet vessels and facilities later in VOY during the episode Life Line.

4. teacake

Why DID they pull it? I seem to remember hearing something about this, that originally the baby was intended to be Chak's.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

It's been so long since I've seen "Basics 1 & 2" that I thought the baby died with Seska.

6. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

No, Culluh took the baby with him when he left his dead mistress.

Re: the OP... since the entire Voyager crew was wrapped up into the mission to save Chak's son, it would have been negligence for the EMH to keep that knowledge from Chakotay and crew.

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Me too. Did they give the baby to the Kazon?

Edit: JanewayRulz beat me to it.

8. Janeway’s Girl

Thanks. I'm glad it wasn't his. It would have been awful if he resented the baby's existence because of his hatred towards Seska.

9. teacake

I doubt he would resent it. I think his family values would kick in and he would abandon Voyager if necessary to go and find it.

You know, like how Janeway and Tom did for their triplets.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If the baby was Chakotay's the writers would have been in an awkward position. If Cullah leaves the baby behind, now Chakotay has a half Cardassian baby. If Cullah takes him, Chakotay assumes that the baby will be mistreated because he is not Cullah's and has to rescue him. Again, either Chakotay has to find the baby, or the baby has to get killed which makes the audience uncomfortable.

Their only out to avoid doing stories they didn't want to do was to have the baby be Cullah's.

Now, the Borg baby. They took the same out only they hand-waved its existence. Canonically I guess they left it somewhere and forgot about it. Or Janeway had it removed from the records and ordered the Doctor to study it in Cerberusian fashion, after adding a subroutine to his program to ethically ignore what he was doing.

11. teacake

How 'bout if Q showed up and took the baby back to Cardassia and gave it to Seska's family. Oh wait, they don't really like half breed Cardassians so better if he went back to earth and gave it to Chak's sister or some relative I vaguely remember reading about in books.

12. Janeway’s Girl

Those poor little lizard babies:( I predict years of abandonment issues resulting in lifelong therapy sessions about why their parents left them.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Ooh, ooh, Voyager novel idea!

The lizards come and take over the AQ. They are about to destroy Earth when they get hailed by Janeway. "...Mom?"

14. teacake

OH MY GOD!!!!

I suddenly remember you are newish here Janeway's Girl and that means I get to post this for your love and enjoyment.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpJ6dVMYuzc[/yt]

15. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I was at a con 14? years ago and Braga basically laughed and admitted they just forgot the Borg baby. :rolleyes:

16. teacake

One. Little. Sentence.

In the captains log. That's all it would have taken.

"with the Borg baby safely back on its homeworld.. "

17. Janeway’s Girl

Sounds like a hell of a story! What's AQ?

18. teacake

Alpha Quadrant :)

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mike Piller wanted Chakotay to be a father to the child of a evil castrating #####, because he thought that would generate some interesting stories and developments but Michael stepped down as executive producer in season two, and Jeri Taylor took his job who hated the thought of arcs and continuity, so she exercised the baby immediately.

I never wondered before, but if Piller had stayed on, would that have meant that in some capacity Martha would still be chasing Voyager to get her baby back, baby back baby back, baby back bubs?

This is also the point where the the secondary character budget (Kullah and Seska) was liquidated and folded into the special effects budget for more spaceships going boom.

Was season 3 better than season 2?

Would th Kazon still chasing Voyager in season 3, or a new ongoing villain chasing Voyager, or even 2 or 3 reoccurring characters on the ship from the lower decks have been awful, or do we accept Jeri's vision as adequate?

Hmm?

Did Jeri Ryan get the job, because it'd piss off off Jeri Taylor to have another woman with her name on the crew?

Taylor: "Look, one of us has to be called Jeri 2, and I'm a producer so its - "

Ryan: "Don't you go make Jeri Ryan cut a bitch, don't you dare go make Jeri Ryan cut a bitch today."

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  20. teacake

All of that, Seska chasing Voyager to get back baby etc.. would have made Chak much more interesting.