New Making of TMP book

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Khan 2.0, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

http://trekmovie.com/2014/07/18/fir...-on-making-of-star-trek-tmp-coming-this-fall/
    This looks interesting... as the article states there was no big TMP Cinefantastique like there was for the other films (II issue, II/III/IV trilogy issue, VI issue, but I don't think there was one for V). Sounds like it will be similar to 'Charting the Undiscovered Country The Making of Trek VI' by Ed Gross/Mark Altman which was based on the Trek VI Cinefantastique issue and is one of the best Trek books (along with The Making of the Trek Films book..but which was lacking in TMP section)

2. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Really wish it had an ebook release

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I was just coming here to pass on this info. This books appears to be the long-awaited feature article by Preston Neal Jones that was supposed to follow the first "Cinefantastique" issue I ever bought. It was excitedly promoted in "The Black Hole" double-issue of CFQ (Vol. 9, issue 3/4) as being the next one to be published, but it was delayed by numerous problems and then never arrived. There was even a full page ad, featuring the unused cover art in b/w, in CFQ Vol. 10, issue 1.

Neither did the Image Publishing trade paperbook book(s) version of 1991 materialize. (Three volumes!?)

Woo hoo! At last!

Just pre-ordered mine.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Finally, a making of book that I can get behind. Pre-ordered.

5. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Gotta have a copy of this! Preordered before they run out. I would think this one will sell out before release being limited to a run of only 1000 copies.

Kevin

6. Therin of Andor

7. Malformed

Malformed Lieutenant Red Shirt

Totally pre-ordered. I really wonder how fast this will sell out?

8. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Thinking about it but the LV con is coming up soon.

9. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't believe I almost missed out on ordering this one -- just saw the thread for this a short while ago (and also over in the ST I-X Movies forum). Must've been blind.

Got my order in a few minutes ago:

[​IMG]

10. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That looks interesting

-Chris

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Well, I get ticked that there are e-books that aren't on shelves for display.

print finally wins one for a change.

12. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Just ordered mine.

Dude, I was LITERALLY just thinking about how I'd love to see an in-depth "Making of" book on Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Having read (and listened to) Shatner's Movie Memories, it sounds as if there's tons of interesting stories to be told from the Roddenberry vs. Livingston battles alone.

Of course, I read Susan Sackett's making of the movie, which is good on its own terms too, and I gleaned some details from the various biographies out there too, but I've been interested in a definitive version.

13. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Even at that price, instant pre-order!

14. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Anyone ordering from UK?

15. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Normally, I'd be all over this... but shipping charges are 83% of the price of the item? Sorry, can't justify that. (And they don't say whether they ship via courier or not... if so, add another 25% - 200% for "brokerage fees".) If I was in the US and only had to pay $6.50, or even better, if it was available from Amazon... but alas.

And in general, I'm not a fan of the whole "artificial scarcity" thing.

(And what's with the title? TMP's plot was a lot closer to The Changeling than it was to Return to Tomorrow... ;))

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I guess it's in the sense that TMP was our return to the "world of tomorrow" portrayed in Star Trek. Still, it is a weird title choice for a book about TMP.

17. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I ordered it, and the shipping charges make sense for USPS. We are talking about a 650 page book that, from the measurements, sounds like something along the lines of the DS9 and Voyager Companions, but the thickness and weight of the two Scriptbooks.

As for the title, if this was the original title from 1979, then from that era it would be a "Return" to the future, since it had been 6 years since TAS ended and 10 since TOS ended.

18. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I went ahead and ordered this. The fact that it is a 650 page book and a first-hand account of the making of the film from the cast and crew, I think it will be worth it.

19. Therin of Andor

Australians are used to paying triple US cover price for most Trek books airfreighted Down Under (luckily, since about 2009, Simon & Schuster Australia is air-freighting the monthly novels at the old sea-freight price scale), so I happily ordered mine with a mere blink at the postage.

You could always have a US friend order it for you, and ship it independently, but you may find that any saving is minimal. World package postage rates have been jumping wildly recently, as email has replaced local letter services and many post office systems are in financial crises. Heavy books are often very expensive to post overseas. Australia no longer even offers a "surface mail" rate!

With many small-press publishers, a set amount has to be predicted in advance in order to get a price per unit, so a print run of 1000 is very sensible. Imagine printing 2000 copies and only 1000 sold, with the remainder being non-returnable and requiring longterm storage?

The same Return to Tomorrow title was promoted when the Image Publishing version was announced in the 90s. I assume it was the author's decision to use a known TOS title that was evocative of TMP (and Vejur) being the return of a futuristic old TV show (and space probe) in a new and improved (immortal) form. Certainly the android bodies in the episode Return to Tomorrow were supposed to be less mortal than carbon-based humanoid bodies, and TMP ended up, after a few hiccups, cementing TOS's immortality as a franchise.

20. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Ordered mine. It goes against my better judgment to order something like this without having any reviews available, but given the limited run... Well, I suppose if I don't care for it there's always eBay...

It would be nice to think I'm in the first 100, but I somehow doubt it. Failing that I'd like to think they'll at least be numbered, but I didn't see any mention of that either. Alas.