Where do ordinary people relax?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Melakon, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

During TOS, we heard mention of Wrigley's Pleasure Planet and Argelius as popular rest stops for Starfleet personnel. In the TNG 24th century era, Risa is most frequently mentioned. And in ENT, we see Risa again, already a pleasure world before Wrigley's. We can assume that other people from other races who visit all these planets are comfortable financially.

But what about those Federation citizens on Earth, where there's no basic currency? And what if you're not even employed in government or the Federation News Service or some other important organization? What if you're just an ordinary person maybe living only off your monthly allotments, where your basic living expenses are covered?

Are those people also able to go to these exotic faraway worlds? Or is there some sort of Catskills Resort closer to the Sol system?

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Visit with friends, listen to music, play in the park, work in your garden, go to a play, run with your dog, hang out in a club and dance, take your sky-Harley to Sturgis.

Vegg out on your couch and watch holo-vision.

:)

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'm sure they have couches in the 23rd century. Don't they? ...don't they???

4. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I'm sure they do the same things people in our time do, only with more advanced toys.

--Sran

5. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Holodecks

6. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Earth is a paradise in the future, so the average Joe Lunchbox of 2265 would have plenty of fun places to visit without having to leave home. There won't be any wars, crime, or environmental problems, so maybe you could spend a week in the beautiful resort community of Chernobyl, or visit the botanical gardens of Baghdad, or the exciting metropolis of Pyongyang.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

An earth without graffiti is not an earth I'm going to like.

I picture it one big Federation theme park *yawn*

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

And anyone who dares to dispute this is shipped to a penal colony.

:)

9. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So if Earth's a paradise and there's no crime. Do the monkeys in CanCun still try to steal your beer? I think it's somewhere near CanCun.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are there any wild animals that can kill and eat you?

11. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure Risa and Wrigley's Pleasure Planet are open to civilians, too. Vash was on Risa, after all.

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Risa must have a good hospital with a dedicated STD wing as freely as they wave those horgahns.

13. vulcan redshirt

vulcan redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Since most travellers would likely use a transporter rather than a shuttle for at leas a portion of their transfer / journey, surely the biofilters would have eliminated all known STDs. However, Risa is probably the Federation's largest importer of contraceptives....

14. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Maybe they can hitch a ride to Quark's? :p

I would assume there are establishments on Earth (bars, clubs, spas, vacation spots) where you can use the public transporter to get to.

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

There's probably an extraordinary rendition agreement with the Klingon Empire where those malcontents are sent to Rura Penthe.

16. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

About the only such traveler we know about is Vash, and after parting ways with Q Spacetimelines Unltd, she "books passage" on a ship departing from Bajor, after which Sisko promises to "arrange passage" directly to Earth for this civilian he has never met before. If it's that easy out in the wilderness, explicitly outside UFP, then it's probably even easier within.

Timo Saloniemi

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

There's got to be tons of public parks and bars. Beaches, clubs, concerts, plays, etc.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm sure Joe Federate takes the space Winnebago out of the dock packs up the family and sees the sites of nearby sectors: The Andorian Ice Caves, the Plains of Gol and the lunar landing site on Luna. Or Perhaps he books passage on a starcruise and visits exotic ports further away, the Bajoran Wormhole or the mines of Delta Vega.

19. The Emissary

The Emissary Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good question. Hard to say, though. Considering that we see so little of what the regular joe on Earth does. Save for maybe Joseph (haha Joe....) Sisko does.

As others said, I bet Earth is so radically different and unique now that there are tons of stuff to do. Add in the holodeck. Besides, Risa is just Hawaii with multiple suns.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

But there must be some way to regulate the flow of people wanting to go there.

If something is free, then not only will everyone want it, everyone will (theoretically) get it, which will result in queues like you wouldn't believe. Billions of people in the Federation, all of whom wanted to visit the same one or two planets? The waiting list would last for generations.