City of Heroes (Freedom)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JRS, Dec 11, 2011.

1. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was wondering If anyone else here is playing this superhero MMO:)?
    I have been playing this quite a lot since it went f2p sometime ago.

http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/

I have lots of fun playing this.
    Been playing Champions Online also..but I somehow like CoH better of the two.
    The slower fighting system suits me better and I prefer the more "realistic" looking graphics( though, I do admit that Champions has great look, too)
    Plus here you can play as hero of a villain.

Teaming up is lots of fun in this one and I have managed to do it quite a lot and the community seems to be very nice and friendly.
    Plus I think the F2P options are more generous than in many other MMOs.
    So, if you like superheroes or just want to play a good MMO..I think City of Heroes is worth trying:cool:

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I played the game from launch for 3 years. A lot. The grind was so bad I never made it past level 42. Did I say I played a lot? The grind sucked.

3. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I played COH around launch. It was great fun but most of the population vanished when WoW came on the scene. I still like COH more than WoW. I also had great fun with City Of Villains. I had around 5 characters at 50

4. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I played it for a duration of about 7 seven years. I had canceled my subscription for six months and then came back on around September 2010 and got CoH: Going Rogue. It was a fun game. I must have played up to 30 different characters/archetypes, mostly Controllers and Defenders (and Masterminds in CoV). I didn't like the occasional grindage, which is why some of my toons never got to Level 50 and beyond; I just deleted them. And for those toons that got to Level 50, I sort of outgrew the farming missions in Nova Praetoria. So I canceled my subscription again a few months ago.

5. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I played CoH at launch but have since stopped and I recently started playing Champions Online with a free-to-play account. Both games are made by largely the same company and share many common similarities. However, there are slight differences that make each game better in different areas.

City of Heroes tend to be more polished in terms of ease-of-play, graphics and freedom of choice (powersets, costumes and auras, hero/villain, mission types).

Champions Online on the other hand has more cohesive and interesting storylines as well as missions where you do interesting stuff. There is nothing in CoH that comes close to rivaling the stuff I've done in Champion Online's Adventure Packs and Comic Series missions. Another example is in CoH, you never get to play alongside their signature heroes like Statesman, Positron, etc.. whereas in Champions Online, I have both fought with AND fought against Defender, Witchcraft, Kinetik, etc..

6. Davros

I gave up on Champions Online. It was harder to get teams together than in COH/V.

7. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

True that, their Look For Group UI is so confusing that even though I have just hit max level, I still have not figured out how it works :P

Also, I find that the free archtypes are in general much, much weaker than the non-free archtypes. I initially tried a few non-free archtypes and had difficulty handling even single player missions. Then I paid for the Void archtype and now I find that I can sometimes even solo missions recommended for 5 players.

8. Davros

I liked how Champions online let you take powers from other archetypes. So blasters were not stuck only getting blaster powers they could take ones meant for tanks or control types, but I did not like how powers were boosted very much. Needing to have pouches and the like to hold them was a pain that added no flavor imo. COH/V just flowed better for me.

9. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As some of you may have heard/read NcSoft closed down Paragon studios couple of weeks ago.
    This means that City of Heroes will be closing down, apparently in November.

http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/news_archive/thank_you.php

This does suck, IMHO:borg:
    I had about a months break from the game and when I came back I saw the sad news.
    I have had really good times with this game:bolian: and I will particularly miss teaming up with other players.
    So, if you still want to play this game, is better to do it now, rather than later.

There is quite a big campaign to try to save the game all over the net and on facebook.
    You can sign a petition to save CoH here:cool::

http://www.change.org/petitions/ncsoft-keep-ncsoft-from-shutting-down-city-of-heroes

10. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I was really sad to see that CoH was going under. I was seriously addicted to this game back in 2005. I mean...SERIOUSLY...I was unemployed at the time and played it from sun up to sun down. I've never been addicted to something as intensely as I was CoH.

Right now I'm playing DCU Online on my PS3. Its fun, but it lacks the community that you found on CoH. Part of the issue is that its harder to chat on a PS3 than it was on my computer. Plus DCU Online's character creator is not nearly as cool as the one on CoH.

RIP CoH :(

11. sojourner

The CoH character creator is not nearly as cool as the Champions Online one.

12. Davros

I had more fun with COH/V than all other MMOs I tried combined. Sad to see it go. But fond memories of playing Blasterina, Amanda Reconwith, 1890s Man, Helen Handbasket, Diabolica, and Shooty McKillsalot will last me a while.

13. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

When I just saw that thread, I thought, "City of Heroes" is still up and running? Then I saw that it's closing down.

Never played it, but my wife did (it was her gateway into MMOs). At the time (this was probably 5 years ago) it seemed pretty repetitive to me, but it's still sad for the fans and loyal players to no longer be able to play a game they purchased.

14. sojourner

I'll miss the socializing the most. Our server had constant player run costume contests, comicbook trivia contests, games of hide and seek....

15. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Goodbye Reconball, Burning Flesh, Celtic Green, Black Facet, Madame Bones, The Grey Detective and so many others. I really enjoyed this game and loved the fact that new things were always being added in. Yes the mission were repetitive but the character creator was huge and let me create anything I wanted and they kept adding more parts. Damn shame it going out. Well another month to play anyway.