Interesting interview on the state of science

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by gturner, Apr 8, 2014.

1. gturner

gturner Admiral

That's why the government shouldn't be allowed to do business with or employ married people - I guess.

But back to reality, Elon's divorce didn't hurt the company a bit (corporations have legal personhood, and thus their own separate love lives), and it hardly even made a blip in the news.

But inside big government entities like NASA, they instead had an astronaut put on diapers and drive from Florida to Houston to murder a romantic rival, an episode so bizarre that politicians canceled the entire Shuttle program, canceled its replacement because the Ares-I looked too phallic as a follow-on to a diaper-clad astronaut sex scandal, and then they decided to delay launching astronauts into space on a US government rocket until perhaps the year 2021, just to give an entire generation time to forget about the incident.

Private sector divorces are much less damaging.

Also, one of the best ways to mess up a giant aerospace company is to get it dependent on Pentagon contracts. Pick a letter, any letter. C is for Consolidated, Convair, and Chance-Vought.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. gturner

gturner Admiral

Can you provide a synopsis? None of my installed browsers has ever survived a trip to Huffpo for the past year or so, and they all lock up so quickly that I can't identify which URL's to block to keep it from happening.

4. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here you go

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

People go nuts in both public and private worlds, and as for Private sector divorces being less damaging, I give you the Dodgers: http://news.yahoo.com/ex-wife-wants-dodger-divorce-142907650.html

Now you mentioned Vought and other companies. They are gone, but the Air Force (sadly) remains. The tanker contract scandal shows how much Boeing is in bed with the USAF, as is ULA in general, much to Musk's disgust.

In the past, where polarization was less than now, we had the best of both worlds.

Kelly Johnson got money from Uncle Sam, but was allowed a free hand.

Everyone has more hoops to go through now--public and private.