If you were bitten by a zombie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by EmoBorg, Jan 2, 2014.

?

What would you do after getting bitten by a zombie

Poll closed Jan 16, 2014.
  1. Run away and let the infection take effect, thus you become a walker.

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Inform your groupmates and let them decide your fate.

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Kill yourself with a shot to the head.

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  4. Keep quiet and stay in the group.

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Let say that you are a character who inhabits The Walking Dead universe . You are bitten by a walker during an encounter. The wound is unnoticeable under your clothes. What would you do ?

2. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Regenerate

3. EmoBorg

I don't think that you are a borg.

4. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Take my weapon and walk into the nearest infected population center, against the walking dead's shamblers I could kill a hundred before being over ran

5. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not Borg, Timelord! :cool:

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

How long do you have until you get turned? Haven't seen the show. I also assume hanky-panky is a no-no?

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

You don't turn until after you die.

Once you die, it could be rather quick in a few minutes, up to many hours before you re-animate.

No, Hanky Panky is fine, but, a complicated birth could become extremely complicated and dangerous without proper sterilized Medical facilities (Which would of course go for sexually transmitted or any other diseases/viruses as well)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  8. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

What? No option for "Bite back"?

9. Gaith

But how long would that take? Are you saying the bite itself isn't poisonous/fatal? Because if it isn't, and everyone who dies turns anyway, not sure I see the point of the question...

10. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

While true, once bitten your time is incredibly limited. We're talking a few hours before you croak, then re-animation time on top of that.

Outside of the Walking Dead, in an game of All Flesh Must Be Eaten, my character was bitten. In game you have three stages to hold off changing. From that point on, I was first through every door, all care went out the window as I saw my job now was to get everyone else somewhere safe. Stage 2 set in (and knowing Stage 3 would be the death of me) I stepped outside and blew my brains out.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'd assume "become a zombie" is the usual answer...

12. Sindatur

You generally die fairly quickly, from a bite, but, it could be a whole day before you actually reanimate from death (IE: Turn).

13. EmoBorg

In the Walking Dead Universe, Everyone turns once they die. That could take years or even decades if you live that long. But with a zombie bite, you have limited time. You only have a few hours before you die from the infected bite.

The poll is about about your immediate actions after you are bitten, knowing that you will die soon.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  14. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Turn and be put down.

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'd prefer an option for "keep quiet and infiltrate a rival group filled with people I don't like. Om nom nom."

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Using Jim from season 1 as an example it would seem from a bite you survive on the infection for probably around 12 hours (which tells me that you die from more than a simple infection from an open wound and the "zombie virus" is doing something more especially given some of the symptoms of a bitten/about to turn person. The pain in the bones, very high fever, the "zombie visions.") and then, as said, from dead to zombie is anywhere between minutes to several hours.

If I were bitten I'd probably ask those I'm with to put me down once the illness got too bad. Probably similar to what happened with Jim in TWD. It seems you reach a point where it's too painful/miserable to go on and even up to then it doesn't seem like you're capable of much.

Mythbusters tested this in an episode back in October. They tested it with a ranged weapon (paint ball guns to stand in for real guns) and a foam ax (to stand in for a melee weapon/ax or other blade.) The armed person stood in the middle of a circle and could not attack any "zombies" before they got to the edge of an outer circle. The melee weapon proved more effective as it didn't have the reloading, re-cocking (single action weapon) and re-aiming of the gun but it still didn't offer much help. They were only able to "kill" a dozen or so "zombies" (of several dozen) before being overwhelmed with the melee weapon and about half as many with the ranged weapon. Pure numbers overwhelm you pretty quickly and that's not even taking into consideration the fact an ax isn't going to be something you just tap someone in the head with again, draw back and go again.

And even with a double-action gun you're not going to get very far short of having something fully automatic (pretty rare and hard to get a hold of I imagine.)

So while going to the nearest population center to take out whatever you can in numbers isn't going to do you a whole lot of good. Best case case scenario you take out maybe a dozen or even a couple dozen if we allow for you to have a lot of room, time, and a fully automatic weapon with which you get all head-shots. But taking out a couple dozen or even 100 zombies isn't going to mean much in a world with 1000s or millions of them.

17. Gaith

If all that's left is a few hours, and it were safe for all involved, I'd invite offers for charitable hanky-panky before voluntary euthanization, I suppose. Boys will be boys... :shrug:

18. Sindatur

Oh, you meant hanky panky after being bitten? I wouldn't advise that. If it were a quick reanimation, and it was a long sex act, that you were quite into, the victim might die and reanimate before you noticed, and a sexy nibble could turn into something quite different.

19. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

If it's a limb wound there's always the Herschel option.

20. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

My weapon would be my M40A3, I'd set up about a half mile from a "herd" and start shooting, and I have a good polearm come melee time