‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's a case of them being disappointed with Man of Steel's box office exactly. It's on track to make $675-700 million worldwide. But they don't want to settle for "just" $700 million. They want to ensure that the next one makes one point whatever billion dollars, and to get to that level superhero franchises usually need a special extra ingredient. For the Batman films it was Heath Ledger's Joker. For the Iron Man films it was the "Avengers effect". They're banking on Batman being that special ingredient for the Superman franchise.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

If it was just for THIS movie, I could actually see Bale being talked back. But Warners clearly wants to have this same Batman show up in Justice League and further Batman adventures as well, and it's obvious Bale has no interest whatsoever in that.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I think Warners would delay further Batman solo films for a significant time if Bale would agree to appear in Superman vs. Batman and a couple of Justice League films. He probably won't agree to it, though.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup, I think that's the most likely explanation behind this. Simply throwing a villain like Brainiac or Luthor into the sequel wouldn't really do enough to grab people's attention.

But Batman? That's something that takes it to an entirely different level.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM JOHN HAMM

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Regarding the amount of exposure that Batman's gotten on the big screen over the past quarter century, I'd be fine if they just used him in JL and team-up films for the time being....We really don't need another Batfilm franchise anytime soon.

And most Bond films have much cooler-sounding titles than "World's Finest"...one of the examples you brought up being a noteworthy exception....

As someone who does have the comic book background, I'm generally very pleased that they're going in this direction....Superman and Batman together onscreen could be huge...WB's best shot at bringing in Avengers-type box office to date...so they might as well strike while the iron is hot and make up for lost time, rather than risk taking the time to do additional set-up movies.

That is the big potential weak link here.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Do you mean JON Hamm?

8. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

He may well be. I guess I'm just too old to geek out with joy over the whole pairing/Justic League thing going on. :lol: Batman may be what the franchise needs to go over a billion, but how many charismatic actors like Ledger are there who can catch that lightning in a bottle? A billion dollars in box office receipts isn't come by easily. You've got to have repeat viewers for that. Bale's not interested and casting is going to be beyond critical. I was wrong. Snyder is only writing the story. Goyer is writing the screenplay. He wrote MoS. The script had some positives but there were some significant negatives, too.

This could be wonderful, or it could go completely south if the right balance isn't there between the characters and there's too much focus again on battles. Iron Man had the Avengers thing going on, but Iron Man was a stronger original film, IMO.

9. Dick Whitman

SHIT! I more than anyone should know that! I was wondering if I spelled it wrong but after I did all that cut and pasting I did not want to edit it.

Should I do another post like that with the right spelling???

No I won't.;)

10. Dick Whitman

I think his age would work. This would not be an origin story. Bruce should have been Batman for awhile when this happens.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

If they go for a Batman in his early to mid-40s then Hamm or Timothy Olyphant would be good picks.

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

My theory is that Bale will do this.

He said he wouldn't work with anyone but Nolan. True. But Nolan is the producer, and often times, the producer's main job is to set the creative vision and, while not replacing the job of the person doing the casting, they often set the tone and direction and that can include finding the main actorsfor the job, leaving the casting director to fine-tune and finalize their contracts. I would guess that Blake would be Batman for a while, but he needs more experience and when Superman comes on the scene, Wayne is called into action. Wayne won't overshadow the current Batman that the public sees, so he creates a newer, rawer version of Batman that can work in the shadow the Blake version, surprising even Supes himself by breaking pattern.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Too much backstory for what is being described up as the follow-up to MOS.That would end up with too much emphasis on Batman and Not-Batman.

Reboots between movie characters are happening with shorter and shorter gaps. A 2007 Spider-man film was followed by a 2012 reboot. I think 2015's Batman will be a new actor and new continuity but it won't be an origin story like Amazing Spider-man. I'd expect that this Batman will be about the same distance into his career as Superman will be but the makers will expect us to know the background. After all, David Goyer is hardly going to rewrite Batman Begins!

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    Nolan is an Executive Producer on the next one. That's a much more mercurial title in films than Producer. Executive Producers are often very hands off. Sometimes it's even just an honorary title with the person having almost no involvement in the film. I think Nolan will sit in on some of the script meetings and give input into casting ideas, but not much more than that.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's just that Bruce Wayne and Bale are almost inseparable. Since The Superman backstory is already done, all it would take is one or two sequences where Bruce works against the current to bring him back from that cafe! A good writer can do it.

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'll roll the Brinks truck up to Bale's house. I have faith.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

They could do it very easily, but whether Bale would agree to it is the big question. It looks like he won't.

18. Dick Whitman

Bale would be my preference. The press release says the New Batman has not been cast yet. But to the average person this announcement this will mean Bale is Batman. He just played him last year.

19. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just read an article that said Snyder announced the movie at SDCC, and repeatedly referred to the "rebooted" Batman.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Snyder didn't actually refer to Batman by name at all. The press release said they have yet to cast the new Batman. There's no information beyond that so far.