STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's impossible to predict. The important thing is that they are alive. They are an intelligent species - I see no reason not to trust them to work things out eventually.

One question, though: At one point, Kirk and McCoy are running from the aliens and Kirk suddenly slaps a tapestry with alien-looking writing on it, on a tree. Why does he do this? To slow the aliens down? :confused:

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

According to the novel it was a religious scroll Kirk stole from a temple near the base of the volcano. He used it to lure them away from their village which was getting pulverized by volcanic debris.

3. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

It's pretty obvious (to me anyway) that Khan was given plastic surgery, since he's still a wanted war criminal in the 23rd century and his face is most likely very recognizable from historical texts.:vulcan:

Oh please. This movie isn't any different than the last twelve ones, or the various series itself! Here's a reminder:

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  4. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

There is lots of pew pew in Star Trek, certainly on a par with that other Star thing.

They only don't pew pew in the TV show when they can't afford it ;)

pew pew sells

5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

This article at Trekmovie says that the females weren't served well by the movie:

Sexy or Sexist? How Star Trek Into Darkness turned Heroines into Damsels in Distress

6. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Except, of course, in this film, the Enterprise doesn't pew pew. Not even once. Its crew pew pews only four times: at Starfleet command after being ambushed; on Kronos; to stun baddies and Khan on the Vengeance; and to stun Khan in San Fran.

So while the Enterprise does get pummeled for a bit ... this is hardly a shoot-em-up flick.

7. elric428

elric428 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Neither Kirk nor Spock had any idea who Khan was in "Space Seed," either - it most of the first half of the episode for them to arrive at that tentatively and then try to draw him out in conversation.

9. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's nothing interesting about that kind of fanboy ranting, sorry. Since reviews are running about nine to one positive for this flick, whatever little damage a bad fan review might do to some hypothetical movie is completely meaningless here.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sure do!
    http://www.cinefex.com/

Something I've noticed the four screenings I've seen: Kirk stumbles over Carol's surname in the last scene, calling her "Dr Marius". Makes me wonder if it was just Chris Pine slurring, or if the script actually indicated that Carol was again avoiding the Marcus name, being tainted as it is now.

The novelization says "Marcus" in the passage.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  12. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

But even if the Wars did happen, Khan and his cryogenic "army" wasn't an open secret or anything. The only reason the Prime Universe/Timeline got to know about Khan was because the Enterprise encountered them.

13. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you SEE STID?

STID engineering was not filmed at the "brewery". It was filmed at NIF.

https://www.llnl.gov/news/newsreleases/2013/May/NR-13-05-05.html

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

But the area where Uhura worked in the first movie, before her promotion to the bridge, did appear again in STiD. ie, filmed at the brewery.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Today when I watched the movie for the fifth time I noticed that McCoy manages to get those 72 cryo tubes out of the torpedoes in about 5 minutes. Spock did order all the medical and engineering staff to the bay though so maybe there are soooo many of them they just did one tube each with people shouting instructions.

16. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Admiral Buzzkill

If you are a fan of Star Trek, then automatically you are a fanboy and a fangirl. This name calling doesn't help anyone.

Considering that the majority of people who have seen the film are Star Trek fans, I think it's important to consider that, if the franchise is to grow, that it will need them. I agree that some fans are overly critical of the film. However, some fans have raised legitimate concerns. I would think it would be wise for those who make the next film to consider some of these concerns, not all, and address them for the next film.

Legitimate concerns - This film is repeating what has happen before in the last film, and is having a villain that seeks revenge for a wrong committed against him. We had Shinzon, Nero, and Khan. We have seen the same story arc for Kirk twice. Do something new.

Illegitimate concerns - The escape pods from the last movie are forgotten. Now the crew has to escape by means of evac shuttles.

I have seen gushing reviews for products that are seriously flawed in video games. Skyrim was a beta test product that was released to the general public and required many patches for it to work decently, yet it won Game of the Year accolades. Mass Effect 3 was a game that alienated some of the fan base with its contrived and non-nonsensical ending, yet it was rated very highly. My point is, reviews by professional reviewers should be viewed skeptically. My point is, if someone is gushing about a film, taking that opinion of it to an extreme - this is the greatest thing since sliced bread territory, that person should be viewed skeptically. Everything is flawed, even the great works of Homer and Shakespeare are flawed.

I think if we examine the flaws, raise legitimate concerns, and, the people who are in charge, actually pay attention to those concerns and address them, that the process works. I think sometimes that the people in charge sometimes dismiss those who support their product and I think this goes to their detriment.

I would like to see in the next film a new story arc for Kirk. I would like to see in the next film a villain with a different motivation.

17. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I disagree. You agree that the Prime Directive is ridiculous. I say, not because it's unenforceable, but because it's a silly principle. What does "destiny" mean anyway ? I agree you shouldn't make contact with non-warp-capable planets, but between letting all life on a world die, I think that was a minor offense. Calling it "monstrous" is a bloated hyperbole, at best.

Would you have let them die ? Not me.

18. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i always like the prologues because you had a Kirk involved in the event.

19. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

The Classic Trek establishes that a captain does have discretionary powers with the Prime Directive. Captain Kirk took a liberal view of the PD, and he was recognized by later historians for the saving of at least two civilizations from destruction. Captain Picard took a more conservative view of the PD, and he was content to let a civilization die.

I think focusing on the PD as one of the reasons for Captain Kirk's demotion was a misreading of the complexities of the PD by the writers. I think sometimes these writers live in a world of extremes, it has to be one way or another.

(On a side note, I didn't find the civilization on Nibiru convincing. Ancient civilizations built their cities around temples. A lone temple, it didn't read "real" to me.)

20. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Actually it was filmed there _in addition_ to the brewery. Watch closely.

No. The term "fanboy" refers to someone who is seen as obsessed or at least unealthily concerned with their favourite franchise or passtime. Fan is just someone who enjoys said passtime and is interested in knowing about it.

You just made that up. Source for that statistics, please.