Paranormal Activity 4: News, Discussion, etc

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah cool. Apart from "they're making it and its out at the usual time of year" I haven't heard anything about PA4, can't wait for the proper trailer/teaser

3. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

So, the fourth one is goin' to be a sequel to the first prequel?

4. Ethros

I would have thought it would be a sequel to the prequel of the prequel.

ie. in timeline order they currently go 3, 2, 1, end of 2

There seems to be room in between 3 and 2 for what happened next to young Katie and Kristi (the house fire etc)

5. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I still haven't gotten around to seein' the third one...maybe before the fourth comes out.

6. Admiral_Young

This would appear to be the sequel to the first one. The previous two kind of were set up to evolve and build the mythology further. Kind of an unique way of developing a franchise. This would seem to be the pay off fans have been waiting for.

We haven't heard much from the production because frankly...there hasn't been much news at all. Dianna Agorn (Glee) was cast about a month or so ago, I think other than that we've not had much casting information or real news at all. This was pretty much the norm for last year's "Paranormal Activity 3". They waited until the summer time to start their marketing for the movie. They've released a banner on their facebook page which is just the movie title you see in the teaser preview.

7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does it matter whats in the trailer anyway? Last time most of the trailer didn't make it to the final version of the film.

8. Admiral_Young

I think it matters to some what's in the trailer yes. I don't know that it will matter much to hardcore PA fans like myself. I dunno. It gives us a sense of at least who will be in the film, that's pretty much what is important to me. I can't speak for the rest of the fandom.

9. Ethros

Well it's here--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5XOG1lXjM4

Like Mike Farley said, I'll take it with a pinch of salt anyway as most of the stuff in the PA3 trailer wasn't in the final movie. Which actually I think is maybe a good thing, you don't want all the jumps ruined for a horror/scary movie by the trailer.

10. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks ok.
    But, just like with the previous 3, I'll wait for the blu-ray. This is the kind of movie you watch with a couple of people in a dark quiet house, not in a theater.

11. Admiral_Young

Interesting indeed. Looks like Dianna Agorn's character family lives in a house with automated systems. Interesting to note that once again it would seem we're dealing with a couple again. It didn't excite me, but I'm a sucker for this franchise so I'll be seeing it. I just love the mythology that they've built up.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I like how they are utilizing web cams via a Skype type video chat.
    How it is at last a sequel to the first two films.

I'm ready. I will say that if your theater audience is into it like I've been lucky than a full theater, engaged in the film is a great experience to watch one of these with.

13. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've worked my way through the first three... I'll go ahead and check this one out just to see if the story gets some sort of conclusion.

14. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

As long as they are cheap to produce & turn a hefty profit, there won't be a conclusion. Look at how many Saw movies came out before those finally stopped...

15. Admiral_Young

Most fans have thought that if they want to continue the franchise they could do so with an entirely new family and ghost, but after concluding the opening arc and current mythology. It really makes no sense for them to keep dragging it on after this movie. If this turns out to be yet another set up film rather than a pay off film, I'm out come 5 next year. I personally believe this is a conclusion to the first movie.

16. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I'll keep seeing them as long as they remain enjoyable. So far, I've preferred each installment over the previous one.

17. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Try five teenaged girls in a haunted hotel room... Seriously.

For my daughter's 15th birthday this year, we got a very good deal on a room at a new hotel here in Albuquerque that used to be a hospital/mental institution dating back to the 20's. Extremely cool achitecture and they don't downplay the haunted angle.. After taking them on the Old Town Ghost Tour, we went back to the hotel and the girls watched parts 1, 2 and 3. From what my wife tells me, they were freaked out more by each other than the movies. LOL

Link: Hotel Parq Central

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    LOL, every creak, gust of wind or flicker of a light must've had them scaling the walls!!
    The mind can be a cruel trickster some times.

19. Admiral_Young

I actually watched the first movie by myself in the dead of night with no one home and the door open the whole time (possibly have told this story before in other threads). Really an incredible experience lol. Later found out my friend had done the exact same thing and had the exact same experience! Sadly as I've said before too...the subsequent films have not had this affect on me as the first one has for whatever reason.

The theatre experience was not as great as the DVD watching experience. The theatre experience I had reminded me of the audience that saw "The Blair Witch" project...sigh. Too many teenagers talking and making fun of the movie, which of course made the adults yell to them to shut up!!! LOL

20. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first one had me pretty freaked out the first time I watched it alone. It was over Christmas break a few years ago. I was an RA at my old college and I stuck around during the break to guard the dorms and the few people who couldn't leave. The few friends who stayed in town were all unavailable the night I wanted to watch it, so I went down to the main lobby, plugged it into the big TV, and watched it in this basically empty dorm building with all the lights off. I actually had to turn the movie off for 15 minutes right before the point where the demon really started getting pissy because I got so freaked out. The next two are noticeably less effective.