Twitter?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by IlogicalOne, Jun 1, 2009.

1. IlogicalOne

IlogicalOne Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just wondering if any of the cast from Voyager were on Twitter. Just thought that might be cool.

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Multi-Episode Director and One-Time Guest Star LeVar Burton -

http://twitter.com/levarburton

I think he may have some other Trek-related credits somewhere, too...

3. freak

freak Commodore Commodore

I have a dumb question..what the frak is this "Twitter"??? I mean is it a blog, a video? What? ;D

4. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

:cardie:

5. Madzilla

Madzilla Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't know of any others - Kate Mulgrew's official site has one; it's not actually her posting but she does occasionally send messages through to the site which get posted/linked there.

http://twitter.com/totallykate

6. IlogicalOne

7. freak

What is this twitter all about? I'm sorry..but I'm really new to this and was wondering. Thanks.

8. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

Its a phenomenon taking over the globe!
    Basically people write on their twitter accounts what they are up to, what they ate for breakfast or whatever and lots of people follow them if celebrities are the ones writing.

9. Searider Falcon

Searider Falcon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

freak, Twitter's just the latest web phenomenon. Basically, you can type up any little thoughts or status updates that are under 140 characters. While I admittedly do have an account myself, I promise you're not missing that much.

Some celebrities have them and use them as a way promoting their latest projects, others are a little more chatty and use it to announce anything from what they're having for lunch to whatever random statements they feel like making. Wil Wheaton's another Trek alum (albeit not a Voyager guest) that has one too. As far as I'm aware, the TotallyKate Twitter is the closest any of the Voyager regulars have gotten to the site.

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a message service that allows to to keep track of where your friends are.

For example: If I'm in the mall and you happen to be in the same mall I am. If you're in my Twitter account, my phone will chirp like a bird to let me know your in the same place I am. Then I can just call you and have you meet me somewhere in the mall.

At least, that's how it was explained to me.

11. IlogicalOne

I like Twitter better than FB beacuse it doesn't having all the annoying apps that friends like to send. Easier to use and more convienent.
    Some people like it, some people don't. To each their own.

:bolian:

12. freak

Thanks everyone for the explanation. I just wasn't sure about it. I've heard so much about it taking over the globe and everything and was wondering what the big fuss was about and just curious. I've never heard of it before.

13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I actually like every person that doesn't know what Twitter is even more. :D

14. freak

Well, thank you, NCC-1701. I think. :D I know when I asked the question I received this look-:wtf: from some posters. I mean some people don't know what it is..what harm is it to ask the question about it if you're curious? I don't get it. :vulcan:

15. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't get the point of Twitter.

Way back when, I had an account and it used to send updates from certain websites to my mobile phone. That was handy; it told me about political protests in my area, or neat stuff on the telly. AFAIK though, none of that works anymore. Logging on to the comp to check status updates just seems way too effortful, and pointless.

Also, wading through posts from my friends about their toe-nail polish or their thoughts on the ref of whatever match their watching makes me want to pull the plug on the internet entirely.

16. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

You're welcome. And I really meant it. One certainly shouldn't be obliged to know about such nonsense as Twitter. And I applaud everyone who doesn't fall victim to the newest trend. :techman:

17. freak

I don't fall victim to newest trends at all. Actually I'm a traitor to my generation anyway. :lol:

18. IlogicalOne

Sorry I asked.