Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by Kirsten Beyer, Jan 2014!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Madzilla, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yes!

And yes - great interview. I liked reading a bit more about the process behind Eternal Tide, which definitely seemed a bit different from the other novels thus far, and how she's planning to address the changes moving forward. Could not be more excited about the next (3!) books in this series.

2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I liked the fact that she said the next book would cover more ground than the previous books, time wise. I love the series, but at three years behind the rest of the 24th century, i don't want to see another DS9 situation crop up. Can't wait for all three books and hopefully more in the future :techman:

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

That's one thing I'm starting to dislike with the books since Marco Palmieri left. Lets do two or three books in this year and now we'll jump ahead 5 or 10 years and do two or three more books and then jump ahead some more.

4. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's something I hate too. I enjoyed the pace the original DS9 Relaunch was going at.

5. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

When it comes down to it, I don't really care either way. As long as the stories continue to be of a high quality. 5 books for a calendar year isn't bad though. So much can be covered in a book. Full Circle could have been half a tv season in itself. Just sayin :)

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too, I definitely preferred it when the books were closer together.
    Although the jumps haven't been that bad. I believe most of the books have only jumped ahead about a year. The only big jumps of multiple years have been DS9 and NF. If they were actually jumping ahead that far we'd be well into the 25th century by now.

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Don't forget that with Voyager "Full Circle" jumped the series from about a year after "Endgame" to just after "Destiny" about 3-4 years later. Sure there were a few chapters that picked up a few small incidents. And now it appears "Protectors" is going to be used to, possible, catch Voyager up with TNG/DS9.

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I'd guess that Protectors is going in a similar direction as Full Circle, i.e. covering time instead of 'just' jumping ahead. However, I don't believe it will bring VOY on par with the current edge of the novelverse timeline, for two reasons:

Firstly, it seems likelier that the novel covers a span of about a year and shows the fleet doing different missions, reminiscent of The Eternal Tide.

Secondly, the DQ mission is slated to run 3 years and would either be over or prolonged by 2385.

9. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

No, no, no.

When I said in the interview that it had a lot of ground to cover, I didn't mean in time as much as in story. FC was really long...almost three years. Unworthy, not so long, a few weeks. CotS, longer...maybe a few months given the length of time for repairs to Quirinal, and I guess TET all happened in a week to ten days or so.

Protectors returns to more a CotS thing in terms of time. I think maybe three months total. In my mind I was comparing it mainly to TET. (I think I had actually forgotten how much time we covered in CotS.) Because...you know...me and math.

Anyway, no one has asked that I bring Voyager up to the timeline of the other series. I'm not even thinking about that right now. As of the end of TET we're 5 months into what is supposed to be a three year mission, so yes, some of the other books are past that by now. The "big" story that beings with Protectors and plays out (crosses fingers hopefully - still nothing solid that I can announce officially) through the next two books would at the very most take us to the end of year one, but that's an outside estimate right now.

So on that front, anyway...calm down. I've got this.

Best,
    Kirsten Beyer

10. Thrawn

:cool:

11. ryan123450

We trust you, Kirsten! Keep up the great work!

Jinn likes this.
  12. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

I had the feeling that Protectors was going to be a "set-up" kind of book. :)

Or, as I like to think of it, Kirsten has a Bachelor of Fine Arts and knows how to use it. :cool:

Between this and some other fantastic news I got today in my alter ego as a political activist, this really has been an excellent day.

13. Madzilla

Madzilla Lieutenant Red Shirt

I apologise for bumping the thread without any info to add - I know how irritating that can be - but ... is there any news? I've been checking almost daily for any updates or info, and now we're just over a couple of months away from release I was wondering if we were going to hear anything soon, see the cover, perhaps an excerpt, etc. (I wasn't able to go to Shore Leave so didn't hear the excerpt from there, or hear anyone report on it.)

I wondered if we might get something in Star Trek Magazine like a few other recent titles, but I think the next issue of that is now out after Protectors is released.

14. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

I'm not sure what sort of news you were hoping for but...I finished my final pass on Protectors a few weeks ago so it's all but done now.

It has a cover. I've seen a version of it, though not the final one, which I'm told will be released shortly with a blurb on Startrek.com.

No one has mentioned an excerpt being released, so I can't help you there. I did a reading at Shore Leave which was cut a little short due to time constraints. We had a lot to talk about re: TET and by the time all of the questions were answered we only had about 15 minutes left for reading.

The scene I read from was between Janeway and Picard. It comes roughly 1/3 of the way into the novel and I chose it because it is one of my favorites and is also the first time I've ever written Picard. Reactions from the panel were great, so, I guess I didn't make a complete mess of it.

In that scene, Janeway comes to Picard seekeing a little perspective from somoene with whom she has shared many common experiences. One of the oddest realities to confront while writing it was that despite the fact that these two have a great deal in common, they really don't know each other all that well.

The rest will have to wait another couple of months. It sounds like everyone has been really loving The Fall series so you've got plenty to enjoy until then.

I'm looking forward to reading them as well, but haven't had a moment to do so because....I guess this is the first official announcement here....

I am now in the process of finishing up the first draft of the Voyager novel which will follow Protectors. It doesn't have a release date that I know of, but it it due to be complete mid-December and is called Acts of Contrition.

Acts picks up right where Protectors leaves off and continues the "bigger" story I've mentioned before which is set to be concluded in one more novel after Acts that is not yet "official." As soon as it is, I'll share more on that front.

So, there you go.

Best,
    Kirsten Beyer

15. Thrawn

:p:hugegrin::biggrin:

:beer:

Here's hoping for Acts of Contrition on next year's schedule too! Two Voyager books next year, that's what I'm talking about. There's space...

16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking forward to this very much Kirsten. Sofar, you work on Voyager has made me enjoy its character more then I ever have.

17. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Colour me excited! :bolian:

VOY has been my favourite ST show since childhood and to see the beloved characters and ship continue in an excitingly new (Full Circle fleet) and yet cozily familiar (back in the DQ) environment is a true joy.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, and here's hoping that the cover will finally reveal Voyager's refit look. I know Mark Rademaker has been very busy lately with loads of other projects, but we can still hope. :)

19. ryan123450

Thanks for the updates and the teaser, Kirsten. We love you atound here and really appreciate you when you pop in.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

First of all more Kirsten Beyer Voyager. Yay!!!!
    And as for the question about news, I've noticed over the last couple years that they seem to be releasing stuff like the blurbs, covers, ect. later than they use to. I don't know if that is from the editors or marketing people, but it is a definite trend.