Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

JMS had a very consistent pattern during the CW story and its aftermath of writing Iron Man as a cartoon villain. There were a number of writers who had that problem, but he was probably the most egregious instance; there are a number of times were the Spider-Man tie-ins that he wrote, in particular, completely undermine the main story.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Like a lot of early Marvel heroes he fought a fair amount of Communist villains, perhaps more than most. But as the sixties wore on that was played down. Stark also got out of the munitions business in comics decades before doing so in films. In the eighties his main character traits became alcoholism and losing his business.

3. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The degree to which Stark Industries was involved in military contracting varied considerably from run to run. Often it'd creep back in.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice. I love her on Revenge, so I'm really looking forward to seeing her in Winter Soldier. I wonder if she'll wear anything like her comic book outfit in other parts of the movie?

6. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

From what i remember about it Stark thought he would be best to control it from within to curtail the more extreme calls for measure, it was about the same reasoning Reed Richards had for joining the Pro-Registration camp (including directly borrowing from Asimovs Foundation with Psychohistory.. though i have lost track on how that storyline progressed).

Now obviously having heroes become defacto villains will lead to out of character behaviour and thus the whole storyline was flawed from the beginning but nevertheless i found it to be an exciting read and some one shots or side-storylines were truly great (i remember one issue where shortly before it really heats up Cap and Steve meet in the destroyed Avengers Mansion to try to find common ground and remembering the good old days) but what was best for me was the public discussion about the general theme of it.

You could easily discern where someone stood in real life on very important real life issues like civil rights, moral rights, law and the general state of society and that for that Civil War was a very good mirror for us (even if the execution was flawed).

I'm very curious to see how the movie develops and what comes out of the concerns Cap has about Shield (he already got a first glimpse in Avengers when he alongside Tony Stark uncovered the secret project). I have said it already but this is what is great about the Captain America character.. he is just so painfully black and white.. he doesn't do compromise on essential issues for the greater good. If something is wrong it is wrong.. period and you won't change his mind or even soften him uo.

I hope this comes through in the movie and it won't be a simple slugfest between him and the Winter Soldier (though them going hand to hand in the trailer was pure awesome!).

7. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have read this thread starting from the day of the new trailer. No one has talked about Cap jumping out of an aircraft without a parachute. I am certainly no expert on Captain America and I would like to know how Cap is able to do this. Does his shield act as a parachute?

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Cap did need a parachute in both his previous films. So the circumstances in that scene in the trailer must be different somehow. But we won't know until we see the film, unless it's given away in one of the later trailers or commercials.

9. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I remember rightly he withstood the impact of Mjolnir against his shield in Avengers, so I guess a water impact shield-first isn't much different. *shrugs*

10. Christopher

Good thought. Since the shield is made of a vibranium alloy, it should absorb the force of impact without transmitting it to Cap's arms/body.

Even so, though, I'd think he'd still be decelerated rather quickly from a fall into water at terminal velocity. So he'd still be feeling a lot of g-forces with or without the shield. But maybe the impact would be diminished enough that it would be survivable for his supersoldier anatomy.

11. Turtletrekker

I seem to remember reading a comic where Cap jumped out of an airplane, landed feet first on his shield, which absorbed the impact, and then he just dropped and rolled away any momentum.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Maybe he gets his shield under his feet just before he hits the water and surfs the rest of the way to wherever they're going. :shifty:

13. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe Cap has a flying apparatus of some sort, like the equipment Falcon will use in the film.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe we should just roll with it....he's Cap. Maybe?

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

While shooting bad guys alongside?

Nah.. that would look too dumb and ridiculous on film.

Oh wait..

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

They'd have to play "California Girls" during that sequence.

FWIW, we learned something new about the MCU Cap on this week's Agents of SHIELD...apparently he holds SHIELD's record for bulldozer-pushing. Didn't think he was supposed to be that strong, but whatever....

17. Christopher

I think it was clear from The Avengers that MCU Cap was stronger than comics Cap. He forced open a door on the Helicarrier and jumped up a whole story to a catwalk. That's a bit beyond peak human.

18. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Yea SHEILD is awesome the only way to test strength is push a bulldozer and do it enough that someone records the time it took.....lame in both concept and execution.

19. Christopher

It's not like this was a scientific measurement. It was part of Mike's training. The timings were for his benefit, to gauge whether his performance was improving. It's the same as training for any sport or physical activity -- you do it over and over and try to get better. And given how few superstrong people there currently are on Earth in the MCU, it stands to reason that their strength-training equipment for the superstrong would be kind of makeshift. So I don't see the problem.

20. Turtletrekker

Of course, the whole "Captain America's record" thing could be a freshman prank. Something to harass newbies. Or something like the Kobayashi Maru or fizbin or a snipe hunt. Something you're not let in on till you're level 3.