A Vulcan raised by elves

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Mars, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Here's an interesting twist. What if there was a holodeck program called Lord of the Rings, and inside one of the holodecks a vulcan grew up in Rivendell, and when he reached adulthood, suddenly the program ended and the doors opened up to the rest of the ship? The Vulcan of course thinks he's an elf, he looks just like them, but all the other elves he knew were holodeck characters and only he were real. What do you suppose would happen next?

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

People on the ship would wonder how no one ever noticed there was a kid was trapped in a holodeck that apparently was running round the clock for several years.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Without the training needed to suppress his emotions the Vulcan kid would have shoved a loaf of lembas down an elf's throat first time he got riled.

What is the Elven punishment for murder? Exile? The kid would never have found his way out.

4. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

A vulcan would probably be no worse than a Romulan with telepathy, if he had emotions. Romulans are more distinguishable by their form of government, the Romulan Star Empire, than any racial characteristics.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Enough with the crossover fanfic nonsense.

6. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Actually the Holodecks allow for crossover as an integral part of the setting, that's what they're there for! So sure, there could be a "Lord of the Rings" Holodeck program, this is not crossover, as the worlds simulated in the Holodeck are not real relative to the Star Trek setting, but any characters stuck in the Holodeck don't know that.

7. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Spock is equally bemused and disturbed by this thread

M

8. Nerys Myk

The problem is the idea that a child would be trapped in a holo program for most of his life and that nobody would notice that a child was missing and there was holo program running non stop for years.

9. teacake

Methos, that is oddly attractive.

Raising a child in a holodeck program and never telling him.. we got that in The Truman Show. But with holoprogramming you really could do a "what if.. LOTR?" and anything else. It would be pretty interesting.

I suggest we use Ocampans for this plan since they only live 9 years and rapidly mature.

10. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Maybe he was the only one left alive on the ship, and say for instance the warp drive was destroyed and only impulse engines are working. The ship has one holodeck for family entertainment, and something happened to the child's parents.

Stranger things have happened in Star Trek.

11. teacake

Yeah and when the ship is eventually found and boarded by rescuers they have to remove this poor kid from middle earth and explain it all to him. Maybe a Vulcan could cope with that, I doubt a human could.

There was that ENT ep where a kid was raised in a holodeck program by her father iirc.. and a DS9 ep but I think that was a solo thing. But those holo-worlds were at least set in those people's real worlds, not complete fiction.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  12. Nerys Myk

Why would a Vulcan child young enough to forget his parents and background be in this holodeck? Would the impulse engines stay online long enough to keep this holoprogram going? Are holoprograms sophisticated enough to last and adjust for the 20 or so years it would take for a Vulcan to reach maturity? What about Ponn Farr? Why would Vulcans be in a LOTR holoprogram? Doesn't sound like their type of "family entertainment".

13. teacake

Kid could have wandered in out of curiosity at the wrong time.

As to Pon Farr, well there were probably plenty of Elven ladies. Or Legolas.

14. Nerys Myk

Not sure holo elves would know what to do in Plak Tow nor would they have the telepathic skills needed to calm it.

15. teacake

Tuvok's holo-wife didn't exactly have those skills either.

Heck if fightin' can rid you of Pon Farr I'm sure the elves can come up with something.

16. Nerys Myk

Holo wife is a holo Vulcan. The holograms are limited by their programming.

17. teacake

I mean holo-wife could not do the telepathy deal either.

But okay, how about if when he goes through Pon Farr he obviously has NO idea what is going on, goes psychotic and kills a bunch of elves. That would be what leads to his banishment, deep into the program.

18. Nerys Myk

What happens to Vulcans who don't get bonded?

Is banishment part of the program? Does the computer know who's real and who's holo?

19. teacake

I think the only ones that don't get bonded have some reason their society would not want them to not breed. Marriages are arranged so everybody gets somebody. There are probably drugs, meditation techniques and V'shar style brainwashing to get the duds through the pon farr cycle. Or perhaps they just eunuch-ize them.

I'm going to assume that the LOTR program is organically developing according to events. Perhaps there is a timetable for programmed "random" events but these can be interrupted. For instance say the Uruk-hai are scheduled to descend upon a forest glade and slay everyone.. but if the living players in this holoprogram happened to kill that nest of Uruk-hai before this programmed event occurred it would not occur. While our Vulcan is only one person and not "playing" with any guidelines he will still interact in ways which change the environment, such as going pyscho during pon farr.

I was only suggesting banishment would make sense as a punitive measure chosen by elves, though I do recall some chose a kind of self-banishment in the books which involved departing across the sea never to return.

20. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Plenty of elven women I think, if the vulcan is rather handsome, it should not be a problem. Most holodeck programs have safety protocols as well, so even if he does get in trouble with the elves, he'll survive and perhaps attribute it to either luck or skill.