Comic Con 2009 sold out already!!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Darth_Pinche, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Darth_Pinche

Darth_Pinche Captain Captain

I just heard that the 4 day memberships are already sold out! Holy crap! It is only March! The single days are still available. My gods.

2. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Yes that's true. The 4-day passes sold out towards the end of last week. Saturday (single-day) is currently at 36% capacity, Friday is around 14%

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  3. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the heads up, Darth_Pinche. I should have purchased a 4-day membership already. I also procrastinated last year and it cost me. When will I learn my lesson? I'm going to start ordering the single-days that I need.

4. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty crazy considering they haven't even released the programming schedule yet

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Looks like fans want to be there for free stuff! :lol:

6. Darth_Pinche

I think all of my favorite t-shirts are all comic-con freeebies( Iron Man, Watchmen, Star Trek, Slusho/Cloverfield, Team America, Matrix, Sky Captain, It Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and a bunch of others). They do give out lots of junk, but also really cool stuff if you are at the right place and time.

I guess the crowds can't be worse than last years since they sold out as well, but not as early. I was not planning to go this year, but I always had the glimmer of maybe making a last minute trip. Looks like I'll have to plan for 2010!

7. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Some of you mother-frakkers were supposed to be coming with me. :mad:

You know who you are.

(I bought my tickets the day they went on sale. Now, I just need to polish my sombrero.)

8. Dark Gilligan

All the allocated hotel space sold out in less than two hours as well.

9. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The entire article:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...apism-triumphs-over-bad-economy/?zIndex=69920

10. Mr. Chubbykins

Mr. Chubbykins Captain Captain

I have my tickets and my hotel booked. "Excited" doesn't even cover it :techman:

11. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have mah passes, and I live 45 minutes upstream from the Convention Center.

Daaaw yeah.

12. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

I gots my plane tix, and my hotel, and my pass. :cool:

13. Autobot

Autobot Captain Captain

Comic Con is my favourite holiday of the year :) I love living 15 minutes away from it. Bring on the celebration of geekdom!

14. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Ah..ComicCon is OVERhyped & OVERpriced!

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

If it was cheap they wouldn't make much money now would they?;)

16. Autobot

Autobot Captain Captain

Actually, Comic-Con is rather inexpensive for attendees. 4-day passes were only $75 and single day passes are in the $20-$35 range. This is very affordable -- I spent $45 for a one day pass to Star Wars Celebration IV a couple years ago, basic Botcon tickets are $15/day this year, and Dragon*Con is $75-$100 for 4 days depending on when you buy your membership. Also, Comic Con is run by a non-profit organization, so it's not about making money.

17. Dark Gilligan

^^ Still though, there LOTS of money to be made. San Diego's entire downtown area gears up for this every year. $$$$

18. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

I meant the vendors selling there ''modern'' comics which would normaly sell for $5 they now sell it for $50!(not even rare or in demand issue's):eek: or toys that are still at retail, and they (vendors) turn aroud and sell them 4 or 5 times higher then they would be! I know comic shops do the same, but at comic-con they turned it in to an art!

19. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's why the internet was invented. Ye don't have to buy stuff at ComicCon, yanno.

20. Darth_Pinche

While there are over inflated prices, there are also some bargains. There is also competition among the vendors so if your are smart shopper you can get some deals. But I never think of Comic-con as a place to do a lot of shopping. The spectacle is the draw. That and the opportunity to just bump into famous writers, actors and directors, etc enjoys the show with you. I had a nice conversation with John Landis one year while we were in line buying pretzels.