Things I love about Kristen's "Eternal Tide"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JanewayRulz!, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I must confess that when I think of Q, 'ethical' is not exactly the first word that springs to mind...

If Janeway has Lady Q on her side, so to speak, I guess that's something. Assuming that Lady Q can act to reverse things that Q does (i.e. if Q turns Janeway into a snail, Lady Q can change her back), of course.

2. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Well yes, maybe "ethical" wasn't the best word, lol, but it seems that in the Q Continuum "lexicon" (hopefully better) it looks like there could be a few "don'ts" for their membership. After all, Q Sr. was suspended from his powers in TNG episode "QWho" for his previous actions, so even for those superior beings, there are maybe some sort of limit, however vague, to what they are overall allowed to do in the universe.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  3. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Those of you who might be interested in Q maybe should try the novel "Q and A" it is set just before "Before Dishonor" and explains a lot about Q's interest in both Picard and Janeway. And I think you all really should remember that Janeway wouldn't have been anywhere near the Borg Transwarp hub, or most likely the "other" continuum if not for Q giving Janeway a course correction at the end of the episode "Q2." So either a lot of back story got overlooked, or there is another twist we can't see right now for a future book.

4. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Boy, I would love to read this thread; but I'm still catching up on Children of the Storm. "I'll be back..."

5. Galekarens

LOL I did read Q&A, but have forgotten most of it, except for Picard laughing at the end (and KJ was briefly in it), guess now I have another book to maybe re-read, if I will have the time, heh; maybe should stop checking out the online sites (like this one, as interesting as it may be)!

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm reading it through my fingers.

I haven't read CoT yet, and it still hasn't arrived from the UK. One thing that has always irritated me about Treklit is the endless recapping, sometimes of useless things like stuff that happened in a season one episode, LOL.. but I knew it would serve me well this time since I went straight to TET.

7. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, there was that 1 time in TNG when he toyed with Picard and his crew by offering Riker to become Q, and in the end when he failed to get what he wanted and persisted, he was effectively 'contained' by the Continuum.

For that matter, its possible that due to Janeway's actions, lady Q and the rest of the Continuum might feel as if they owe their existence to Janeway - for the second time around... and might keep Q sr. in check not to harm her (lady Q at least said she will try to do that).
    But Q sr. was also acting very stupid... how can he possibly blame Janeway for what his son chose to do?

Granted, this might have been an attempt to keep things interesting.
    Q sr. might not be able to harm Janeway directly, but he could probably make things a lot more difficult for her if he chose to.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

8. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

teacake, ditto on the backgrounders -- they are a little awkward, but I'm grateful for them. It's sometimes years between reads.

9. Galekarens

10. teacake

I loved Destiny, very glad I read it. But really, you could figure out the facts from the recapping that goes on though you would miss out on the impact.

I'm still reading TET. I'm a slow reader though the book is very quick and nicely written, no "wade through" element at all.

I must add, I loved the Hernandez story in Destiny and the Borg story. There was a whole lot I bleeped over out of intense boredom but the Hernandez story was absolutely riveting.

11. Galekarens

I'm "saving" half of TET (read most of the Janeway parts) until I re-read Full Circle, Unworthy, and read the Voyager parts of COTS, but am stuck in FC at the really sad section. But since I kind of skimmed that part last time, want to read it more thoroughly for info. to make sure I understand better what was going on w/ all concerned before.

12. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't read this book yet but I actually plan to do that. I'm happy that Janeway is back.

But what about Kes in this book? No "Fury"-crap or killing off the character, I hope.

And why didn't she join the crew again? :confused:

13. teacake

Kes does something awesome in the book. No Fury crap takes place. Also, she's a tad too evolved to join the crew, but I still think you will like her.

I'm almost done with it.

14. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, as long as the character is not destroyed, killed off or humiliated in any way and as long as there are no "Fury" crap involved, then I'm quite happy.

But the scenario in my own stories are much better! ;)

15. teacake

I have now finished it.

Things I loved..

7 and Cambridge, can't wait to read more. Cambridge is such a familiar creature :lol: I'm very happy for 7, he's definitely a good match.

JANEWAY IS ALIVE.

The Q's were well written and interesting though Original Q being massively mad with the cloud of Q retribution hanging over the next book is tedious. I'm bored about that already. But that was just at the end, they were all a fun read being utterly Q and also individual.

JANEWAY IS ALIVE.

Icheb is going to be in the next book, finishing off his academy stuffs on Voyager. I really enjoy Icheb and he's on my list of who I want to see more of.

JANEWAY IS ALIVE.

Book did not contain too much angst. At no point did I want to throw it across the room, well there was this one half sentence but I knew that was inevitable so I sucked it up like a man. Yeah, go me. Oh you want too know what it was?

"She liked the way Chakotay held her as they slept,"

JANEWAY IS ALIVE.

The END of the klingon baby messiah storyline. THANK YOU omg I am so happy that shit is done with. And with no harm to the baby I hasten to add in case anyone is reading this who hasn't read the book. And it happened instantly with zero story about it happening! It was almost as though someone knew it was time to finish it. Though frankly how it happened is just a little creepy, Q just disappears all those cult Klingons?! Disappear as in.. DEAD? But who cares, a small price to pay never to have to read about it again.

JANEWAY IS ALIVE.

Tying it in to Endgame gets my hugs and kisses. Beyer certainly knows her Voyager. You know this makes Endgame Admiral Janeway a confirmed savior rather than possibly a self absorbed lunatic.. BOTH Janeways come out golden in this book. In fact all Janeways come out golden.

JANEWAY IS ALIVE.

I also really really really liked that Janeway is now alive!!!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  16. Galekarens

Janeway alive is the best thing ever (lol) and long may she live! Hopefully the next Voyager book will be a fun adventure story that gives KJ and crews something fascinating and/or meaningful to experience. BTW since the Voy. Books are behind the Alpha Quad. novels year-wise does anyone think it might be time to jump in time a little (maybe a year?). Could include maybe flashbacks if some catch-up is necessary for events etc. Well anyway just a thought.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  17. trekmom

trekmom Ensign Red Shirt

I liked how Q showed a sense of "humanity" by saving the Paris family from having to be on the run for the rest of Miral's life. I also like that in the Trek world, it is completely plausible that someone can come back from death after 14 months. The way that Chakotay found out that Janeway was dead was just tragic, and I'm pretty sure I cried like a baby when I read that part. I hope the next novel comes soon, because I don't want to wait to see how Janeway settles in and is excepted back into Starfleet. I'm going to have to go through the lit again to find out about Kes. I remember reading about her in some book, and how she evolved, her travels, and her settling on Ocampa again, but I don't remember what book it was!

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Over in the Trek lit forum, Kirsten said she's almost certainly writing the next Voyager novel, but that it won't be out until 2014.

I *think* the Kes stuff was referencing the Cold Equations trilogy, but I haven't gotten around to it yet!

19. Violet.Phoenix

Violet.Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

I think you mean the String Theory trilogy.

20. teacake

I've got that but I've never read it. Which I can say about a lot of things.