Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I hate these guys.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Everybody hates Illinois Nazis.

3. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

You beat me to it. Sweet.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, sounds good. Be interesting to see how the work Thor 2 in without spoiling it too much. Will work nicely in really forming this larger universe.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The other cute thing about doing an aftermath episode is it forces the viewers of the tv show to see the movie in theater rather than waiting for DVD :D

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

"Forced" is a strong word. I think "encourages" might even be overstating it. Unless they advertise the fact that it is a tie-in/follow-up episode for the preceding few weeks then even most fans will have no idea.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, I know. It certainly motivates me to watch it more promptly than I planned (I was probably going to see it in theaters no matter what, but now I'll see it sooner).

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very cool. I hadn't about it until now, but I think it's a cool idea. With it's heavy SHEILD focus, it'll be interesting to see exactly what they do around the release of The Winter Soldier.

10. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

And there you have it what everyone expected.. Shield is also a marketing tool for the main movies. Who is shocked and surprised? ;)

It feels a bit redundant as people who watch Shield are highly likely to see the movies too but it's got a nice sideeffect too namely that Shield is a bit more cancellation proof than most other shows because it's also designed as a marketing tool.

I don't have a problem with it as long as these episodes don't feel forced and have a good story instead of just going "Hey.. see the new movie!"

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I bet they do something similar after Captain America 2 comes out.

12. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

It'll be interesting to see how it works for people who haven't seen the movie compared with those who have.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They've already said the later episodes of Season One will lead into the situation that SHIELD is in in "Winter Soldier".

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

What's the betting the stinger for that episode will be the Winter Soldier trailer? ;)
    I had a feeling they'd be doing something like this. I mean what's the point of having an ongoing show take place in the same continuity as a series of movies you're putting out at a rate of about two or three a year if you're not going to cross-promote?

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think anyone has ever claimed that it would never tie into the films. Obviously what defines the MCU is its interconnectivity. The only thing I objected to was a claim that without the film promotion, the show would have no "point." I felt that was an oversimplification -- that, while it was obvious and axiomatic that the show would tie into the films, that didn't mean it was the only reason the show existed. As you say, the stories need to have merit on their own rather than existing exclusively as promotions.

Except that "people" are not a monolithic mass. A nationwide TV audience is a diverse thing. Yes, naturally the show is aimed at the people who are fans of the movies, but it's also aimed at bringing in a larger audience beyond that, people who are mainly TV viewers and haven't been interested in the movies, but who might be drawn into the MCU by the show -- say, people who like procedurals, or who watch their ABC affiliate's 7:30 programming and are too lazy to change the channel, or who are drawn in because they want to look at the extremely pretty people. It's a given that parts of a franchise in different media are going to attract different audiences; that's the whole point of doing them, so that you can expand the total reach of your franchise.

16. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't LIKE going to the theater, so I always wait for the DVDs. What this may "encourage" me to do is stop watching SHIELD to avoid spoilers!

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I expect the episode will avoid any huge spoilers for the movie, since it's a given that not everyone will be able or willing to see the movie before the episode.

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

They'll probably throw in just enough info about the movie to whet people's appetites to go see what everyone on the show is talking about.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I had wondered before it started the amount of tie-ins. However, given the heavy Extremis emphasis, I figured Iron Man 3 was a must. I think the surprise to me is the quick turnaround rather than the fact that there are references at all.

20. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Doing this is a no-brainer. They'd be nuts not to do it.