What The Hell? What Is Up With The Side Hull Torpedo Bays?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shilliam Watner, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Mostly because Marcus fired his more and better weapons first from is more combat oriented vessel while Kirk tried to use the Picardian talk your way out of a fight maneuver against and opponent who wasn't having any of that and promptly blew the crap out of him. :)

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, but how was Marcus defeated? By beaming over a superweapon in humanoid form to covertly take over the ship.

Our message for today, kids: at your Wheaties, wear black, and try eugenics for a change! Starfleet shouldn't be a war machine, it should be pro-CIA/NSA. Don't forget your cloaks and daggers :) (I keed, I keed)

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Shouldn't makeone blind bit of difference, Photon torpedeos aren't fire and forget weapons that only continue to move in the direction they are fired. They could in theroy track a target and adjust their course. Of course that does mean the enemy has a greater chance of being able to intercept them.

4. Hartzilla2007

funny that torpedo in Star Trek 6 seemed to have no trouble changing course when it locked on to Chang's ship.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

To be fair, the poor thing just had major bypass surgery, a lot of that could have been spasms.

6. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

The STVI-TUC torpedo was the only thing that to me was deserving of the name. Although looking up the official definition, I now see that a weapon can be called a torpedo yet be neither self-propelled nor self-maneuvering. IMO, you need both to be called a torpedo, though, but I have seen Hunt for Red October too many times.

7. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I liked it. It's a big ship so she can fit extra tubes on the side. I've never liked the idea that entire sections of a ship were simply empty, waiting for a mission so that they can be used. It seemed like such a waste. With those side torpedo tubes, now she can defend herself 360 degrees!

They did a good job in giving the Enterprise crew actual jobs and purpose, instead of just a bunch of people wandering lovely hallways.

8. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

I still don't like the way they launched Mudd's ship out the side of the ship.

9. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My only problem with the side tubes is that they're stuck in the engineering section, which is already cram packed with machinery and presumably storage. Plus it's a bit risky to line both sides of that section with weapons that could chain-detonate and destroy the ship if the enemy gets a lucky hit on the tubes before the torps launch. (Yeah, I know the Vengeance manages to somehow not get reduced to atoms, but that's the power of plot for you).

10. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

There's your answer to EVERYTHING Star Trek.
    [/thread]

11. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

I agree. Remember the Vengeance did score a big hit on the side of the Enterprise in front of the nacelle pylon and people along with R2-D2 were sucked out into space. That was where the torpedoes were in their launchers and they didn't detonate. The writers just didn't think this thing through.

12. Hartzilla2007

Or there was some form of saftey system to keep that from happening.

13. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Thanks! :)

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

No worse than the vertical intermix shaft (depending on which diagram you use) of the refit from TMP through TSFS passing right through the center of the torpedo launcher and topped off with a nice glowing dome.

The reboot Enterprise's engineering systems seem a little more robust that we're used to see. More along the line of TOS and the TOS movies: The ship can get carved to pieces and the reactors don't go book like a Ford Pinto on a bad day.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They were hit in engineering, a few floors up from the weapons bay (in he middle of the hull). Also, and most importantly, the torpedoes were not armed at the time.

16. bullethead

That doesn't seem to matter, because the torpedoes chain-detonated just fine on the Vengeance when only one was actually armed and detonated. So it seems that you need a lot of heat to get those things to blow up, which means a single hit within a few feet of the tubes might set them off (which would be the kind of thing Admiral Marcus's weapons officer should've been focusing on, but didn't for reasons). The Enterprise got really, really lucky in that encounter.

17. Mycroft Maxwell

Mycroft Maxwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually, It passes between the photon bays, not the launcher's themselves. THe launchers are only a small forward section of the bay. But I was looking, where are all the 94 photon torpedoes on the Enterprise-A stored? (Yes I counted scotty's inventory on screen. There were 94 photon torpedoes listed on his display in STVI). I mean you got that big loader on Wrath of Khan, but where are the Torpedoes stored? Oh and Did anyone else notice that the torpedo bay on the Enterprise was not as tall as the set used in wrath of khan?

I am one of the people who likes to think of this JJprise as being relativly the same size of the original (People at ILM are dumb, give Bernd Schneider some credit, he really thinks these things through, and gives perfectly logical explanations, people just dont want to pay attention to what he says). The Windows and Hatches would all be way out of size for a 700 meter vessel. -so In conclusion, it all comes down to this. Starfleet vessels got Harry Potter Magic space expanders. Like the one that allows Voyager to hold 17 shuttles. (and allows the Delta flyer which is bigger than the shuttlebay doors, to fly out of VOyagers shuttle bay). Lets not forget in Nemesis Riker being on the Enterprise E's non existant deck 29, and almost falls down at least 15 more non existant decks in the Ent-E's own pit of doom.

I guess what I am trying to say here, Star Trek has always had issues with Infinite stuff fitting in Finite space.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Read the Starship Size Argument thread trough, it includes refutations of everyhing in Bernd's article, including window rows, deck spacings and the airlock hatches. Basically, his argument boils down to "I think it should be the same size as the original" rather than what's in the two movies actually being that size.

19. bullethead

It's sad how many of his articles about AbramsTrek are marred by what he thinks should be, instead of just sticking to what's in the movies. He makes many valid points in his inconsistencies article, but then undermines himself by including stuff like "Spock shouldn't be angry" or something.

20. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

My reaction to the side torpedo bay doors opening.... "Arrrrrrrrrr.... we be at broadsides, cap'm!"