What continuity errors are there on Voyager?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Luther Sloan, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

There was no explanation why they found a colony of Talaxians so far away from Talaxia, especially with the many thousands of light year distance Voyager had travelled with all the shortcuts between Series 1 (when they were in the region of Talaxia) and series 7.

Same thing, to a lesser extent with the Hirogen too...

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why do we question why Talaxians can get that far in their own Quaderant but never question that Klingons are EVERYWHERE in the AQ but come from Beta?
    Shouldn't Sisko's trip to Kronos take just as long as Voyager's trek thru Kazon space?

The Hirogen are like sharks. Sharks cover allot of ground because they never sleep and just hunt. A Shark will follow it's prey/food great distances to feed. I think it makes sense with that obsessive mentality that the Hirogen can and do cover light years hunting.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  3. Dick_Valentine

On the first point, its more logical that Klingons could be everywhere in the AQ because at least in TNG times they're allies with the Federation and could use starbases and such to refuel if there wasn't a klingon outpost nearby, thereby extending their range significantly.

What was portrayed as a tiny settlement had no business being so impossibly far from the established homeland of Talaxia and smacked of the writers phoning it in at that point.
    "Lets give Neelix a happy ending with his own people...."
    ..."Whaddya mean the logistics and limitations of this show mean he wouldn't see his own people, I dunno make something up, I'm mentally on vacation already anyway..."

The second point is like a shark following its prey off the coast of Australia all the way around the world to the coast of Wales or something, again you'd think an unlikely premise.
    But again it was series 7 and the writers just wanted to re-use a fan favourite race without giving a damn that the Voyager should've been long past them by now.

I'm not a big fan of replying to Voyager specific examples with "yeah, well TNG/DS9 also did something stupid that's a bit like that" btw. We're here in the Voyager forum talking about Voyager issues, to drag other series in is just irrelevant imo.
    #Justsaying

Just thought of another example too as I typed all this:
    The Vaudwaaur.
    Dragon's Teeth was billed as a big game changer for Voyager, a race of Aliens older than the Borg with an ending that didn't so much as imply more PROMISED that they'd be back to threaten Voyager again, yet they vanished into the same black hole that got the Equinox Crew, the Borg Baby and that changed the timeline so there was suddenly an Ensign Lindsay Ballard that everyone suddenly remembered.

4. exodus

I would think the Talaxians would do just as well using the same system non-allies of the Federation do, barter & trade. Plus, I don't think we have any idea what makes Talaxian ships run or if their warp drives are faster.
    For a shark, agreed.
    For a Humanoid species in a good sea fairing vessel, not so much.
    Understood but I never consider what's said here, private personal conversation nor void of use of examples.:shrug::shrug::shrug:

5. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the writers just didn't care at that point, they just wanted to tell whatever story they wanted to tell. To hell with realism.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

This is also why the "Always on the move" premise severely limited what they could do with the show.

7. You_Will_Fail

The premise was that they were thrown 70,000 lightyears away TRYING to get home. That didn't mean that the ship always needed to be in perfect condition able to go to warp 9.9 and passing everything by. They still could have done a ton of things.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

And when they tried to do something like that, by having them run into the Kazon and Viidians for longer periods the fan reaction was bad enough to make the showrunners give up on the idea of VOY doing anything other than always "pass through" areas of space.

If they had done other stories where they stayed in one area for more than one episode, the reaction would still be negative in that they weren't always on the move.

They needed to get rid of the "always moving" thing completely, and have them stay in one big area of space for most of the series.

9. Dick_Valentine

Actually I think the fan reaction was more that the Kazon were rubbish knock off Klingons and they didn't want to see them rather than getting annoyed that Voyager was seeing the same species a lot.
    Heck, more of the Vidiians and less of the Kazon would've gone down better IMO

A whole year spent in Borg Space, (as long as it meant little to no direct contact with cubes but more the desperate non-Borg worlds and ships the Voyager was forced to deal with to survive) or the oft mentioned proper Year of Hell would've been well received by fans I imagine.

Its just each season had its recurring enemies (Kazon, Borg, Hirogen, Malon, Vaadwaur...oh wait, not them) and also the producers pushing the notion that they were getting closer to home (Transwarp Jumps, Slipstream corridors, Kes' Gift, Catapult, etc) without realising the two were mutually exclusive.
    If you want to show the ship getting closer to home, you'd better change up the alien threats a bit, and vice versa.

Yet Ironically over on DS9 you did get the impression that the Dominion controlled the majority of the Gamma Quadrant and if any ship got stranded over there they'd be dealing with them for the majority of their trip back.
    The producers were seemingly unwilling to talk up a permanent alien threat like that for the Delta quadrant so were left in a pickle: recurring aliens or giant leaps home....hmmmm why not both and to hell with the fans?

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Pax Dominion, for lack of a better term.

(The Pax Romana was such that if a Roman Citizen was killed by a barbarian, a hundred of those same barbarians, preferably family members of the murderer,and the murderer him/herself would be crucified.)

They were alpowerful and didn't feel the need to advertise or revel in it, on the ther hand they didn't take shit form anyone.

If anyone pissed them off, that person/faction's planet was annihilated in one way or another.

They didn't need to maintain an illusion of strength.

They had strength.

Remember Iraq before the war? All those statues and buildings with Saddam's face painted on the side? For me to notice, I assume it was every other building that had his face painted on it.

By comparison, the Dominion does not have a small penis.

I also think that forcing American School children to pledge allegiance to their flag every morning, is pushing it a bit as far as social programming brainwashing goes.... On the other hand if 5 minutes were put to one side where children who voluntarily "wanted/needed" to pledge allegiance to their flag were allowed to do so...

An idea like that is what starts school yard lynchings.

You know like how Jewish kids are (used to be?) victimized at boarding school until they got into line and said grace with the "normal" children.

11. Dick_Valentine

Have I had too much of a Christmas tipple or is that....not in English? :wtf:

12. Guy Gardener

Nipple. Christmas Nipple.

Never mind.

Christmas is full of unexplainable mysteries and magic.

13. You_Will_Fail

They just needed better villains than the Kazon, I think it was the Kazon they were reacting negatively to for good reason - they were crap. I think people would have loved a Year of Hell season but I guess that's where they suffered from studio involvement and then Brannon lost all ambition.

14. Guy Gardener

The story/history/motives of the kazon was interesting and extensive...

The costume, and make-up departments screwed the pooch.

15. You_Will_Fail

16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, this is from wiki: Ship's complement, the number of persons in a Ship's Company, including both commissioned officers and crew.

As I understand it, a Captain might speak of "his crew," and colloquially include the officers in that group, but strictly speaking, the crew would be the enlisted personnel only.

A bit of guess work here, the Voyager was shown from time to time carrying passagers, Harry's 150 figure could be reflecting that.

:)

17. You_Will_Fail

You can't explain away the crew numbers fluctuating logically, without absurd leaps of logic, heaps of delusion ridiculous and fanwankage such as suggesting the ship was carrying passengers in "Timeless" (on the way to earth? Really?)

In The 37s, there are 154 crew members
    In Distant Origin, there are 147 lifesigns detected on the ship
    In In the Flesh, there is said to be 127 crewmembers
    In Dark Frontier, there are 143 lifesigns on Voyager
    In Gravity, there are said to be 154 people on Voyager
    In Someone to Watch Over me, there are 146 crewmembers
    In Author, Author, there are still 146 despite deaths

The showrunners just didn't care about "little details" like the number of crew, that's what it came down to.

18. exodus

I assumed when the ship is being scanned by other species, their counting lifesigns onboard. If crewmen are on away missions for supplies, their lifesigns wouldn't show up. That's my reasoning on why the crew compliment shifts.

19. Guy Gardener

And some sections like engineering are heavily shielded.

Then of course against some opponents, it may have been wise to fake sensor readings and her crew manifest for larger and smaller totals.

Also.

I'm sure that we actually viewed many timelines/mirror universes and not a continuous story.

Because for every happy outcome, it will allso all lead to disaster, and the story telling would have to back up a couple months to a branch in the itmelines where that balls up was less inevitable no matter what other conflicitng changes were in places as well.

Cherry picking the multiverse.

Like in Community a few months back.

20. millertj

millertj Cadet Newbie

Has anyone ever noticed how at the end of "The Killing Game, Part 2", when the WWII holodeck program is finally shut down, that only the characters in the program disappear but NOT the holographic environment (buildings, streets, etc.)? There should have been nothing visible except for the Voyager crew members and a black room with a grid of yellow lines.