Yesterday's Enterprise battle

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Unicron, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I always felt that fight scene was very strange if not even ridiculous. The Klingons are steadily shooting but the Enterprise did mostly not (return) fire. Some (rare) faint shots at best. When they started at one time REALLY to shoot they blew immediately one bird of prey away. If they had done this from the start, instead of just taking the blows, they would have easily destroyed all three enemy ships. Okay it was probably a question of (production) cost, but still.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Star Trek writers are not known for their knowledge of sensible military tactics. :)

3. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I've always felt this way too, which is why I wouldn't mind an extra phaser shot or two added in. I'm not talking dramatic barrel rolls or anything though.

4. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

That's all I want. Extra phaser shots. Keep it static, just make the shot flare up with phaser fire.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Duh, I'm not talking about space battles, they rarely had those in TNG, I'm talking about improving composition, perspective, motion and detail in FX shots. I LIKE much of the model recompositing they are doing, but there certainly ARE scenes that could be improved upon that they don't because of some silly notion that it will change the "art" of a technical side of film making, when it could better.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Again... better to whom? The episode survived just fine now for DECADES with what's happened on screen. There's no need to add in extra phaser shots or torpedo bolts or whatever simply so weapons-philles can get a couple extra wanks in. That's not the point of the scene, or the episode. It would add nothing! So why change it? Because it looks cool? Not good enough.

7. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

It doesn't make or break the episode - but to me I've always felt that final shot just before the timeline corrects itself lacked all the kinetic energy that sequence had built up until that point - the shot just before it of Picard frantically pushing the buttons at tactical with fire all around him is far more energetic than the shot immediately after, of the Enterprise-D's "last stand".

The two split second phaser shots we got were laughable in the face of the Klingon's assault. The Enterprise still had power - why not show a barrage of phaser fire coming from all over the ship from its various emitters? I don't want a photon/quantum/tricobolt torpedo/device orgy with the camera doing summersaults in time to requiem for a dream - just more urgency in the rate/amount of phaser fire coming from the Enterprise. From what we've seen in the Trailer for season 3, it appears the battle at the end of Yesterdays Enterprise has been beefed up a bit - at least in the shot of the Enterprise firing phasers at a bird of prey in the trailer the phasers look and feel far more substantial their power than they did before.

EDIT: I a word.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  8. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

You don't get it. The reason is not "making it look cool" but "making the fight a bit believable and realistic". As it was done originally, it just felt unrealistic and even ridiculous. Why did the Enterprise not fire its weapons? Of course, it would not have a bit impact on the whole since it already is a brilliant episode. However, if any effect remastering would make sense and improve the visuals and the episode coherence, I really feel, IT SHOULD BE HERE.

9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yet it would feel even more so with the ships dancing a fast-paced ballet.

There's no benchmark for "realistic" when it comes to space battles. There are only artistic choices. Star Wars, BSG and Star Trek all made their own choices, and sticking to them is elemental to them maintaining their identity. Science fiction is a fundamentally visual thing: the writing, the characters and the acting performances are almost incidental compared with the sets, the props and the space battle VFX. To give up the TNG style would mean giving up Star Trek.

Timo Saloniemi

10. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Making one battle a little more exciting (and in the process, making YE Starfleet a thousand times more competent) wouldn't be giving up the TNG style (having the Enterprise engage in nBSG Viper maneuvers would be), nor does giving up on the style of a show's action scenes means that you have to give up Star Trek. It just means that the show's way of conveying action wasn't effective all the time.