These Are The Voyages: Season 2...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Any further word on when These Are The Voyages: TOS Season 2 will be released?

I missed the excerpt in Geek Magazine.

2. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

Last I heard it was next month

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

That would be nice. Despite the flubs of Volume 1 I still found it to be an enjoyable read. And it adds the fascinating narrative that is the story of the making of TOS.

4. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since almost all of my favorite episodes are from Season Two, I am (re)learning the meaning of patience.....

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Yes, despite the errors in book 1. I am eagerly waiting to get my hands on book 2.

6. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see T'Bonz added some information in Trektoday News Items.

Cushman can add a lot of value in covering Season 2. Inside Star Trek didn't have much detail of the goings on beyond the point where Desilu was sold.

I see Cushman promises to reveal why Gene Coon suddenly quit the show. I have heard that he had a massive fight with Roddenberry over Bread and Circuses, but we shall see what the memo's say.

Here's hoping for a much improved editing job for Season 2, but there can be no faulting the volume of research the author did for the Season 1 book - hopefully the new book will be similarly impressive.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Assuming he's not again passing off his extrapolations as fact.

8. Botany Bay

Well, that would be nice too :lol:

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen any memos from "Bread and Circuses" indicating a massive fight. There's a letter for WGA arbitration in which the two indicate they want to share credit 50-50 for the episode which suggests the opposite.

Inside Star Trek went into rather intimate detail about Coon's departure, anyway (and it wasn't a fight). I'm not sure Cushman can present much more than that. Considering the two collaborated on Questor only a few years later, as well as other correspondence, I find the idea that they had a blow-up pretty suspect. But, we'll see...

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm going to have to pull it off the shelf and read Inside Star Trek again.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's not without its flaws, but it's still the best book about the making of the series out there (and its astonishing, really, how much Cushman pulls directly from it).

12. Botany Bay

Agreed. Putting my copy in storage was not a good move in hindsight! Bob Justman signed it for me, so I wanted to preserve it.

Might have to find another second hand copy somewhere for reading.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

There are plenty of second-hand copies on Amazon these days.

14. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

From Ralph Senesky's Blog, Director of some TOS episodes and a boatload of other beloved episodic TV:

This was my first STAR TREK without Gene Coon as producer (and of course as writer). He stated he was leaving because he was burned out. I’ve wondered if Paramount’s purchase of Desilu Studio, with the subsequent shortening of the shooting schedule (and whatever other restrictions the new regime brought) could have contributed to Gene’s burnout. I for one certainly missed This was my first STAR TREK without Gene Coon as producer (and of course as writer). He stated he was leaving because he was burned out. I’ve wondered if Paramount’s purchase of Desilu Studio, with the subsequent shortening of the shooting schedule (and whatever other restrictions the new regime brought) could have contributed to Gene’s burnout. I for one certainly missed him.

I always thought it had to do with his bringing the Klingons on board, or creative differences with the POB...

15. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I'm in the middle of reading an eBook of it to review, hopefully next week. Damn thing is 700 pages long and even though I'm a natural speedreader, that takes a bit of time, because I'm also a fan who wants to read the stuff, not just super skim it! :lol:

16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Look I'm just putting this out there. I don't know if its true but I heard somewhere that Gene Coon (I think) had some marital difficulties - a broken heart. Maybe that affected his decision ?

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Over the years the most oft reason I've heard for Coon leaving was extreme fatigue. It was just too exhausting for him and his health was suffering.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Coon's marital troubles which led to his departure from the show are thoroughly documented in Inside Star Trek.

19. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The book is now available for pre-order on the publisher's website.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I don't think you can actually order or pre-order it until March 3rd. There's no link there yet for pre-ordering.