‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The most difficult aspect of seeing both on screen, is that many folks who watch this mythos play out, have not taken the time to understand the dynamics between the characters.

On the other hand, some fans have read the comics faithfully over many decades, and so a pairing and conflict between the two iconic figures will be welcomed.

Both characters began as very benign superheroes with a deep respect and friendship, but through revisionism became warped and haunted. Superman now is in the very alienated role of a creature who can never be himself, only a patriotic symbol, and in comic history reduced to emasculating himself to hide his identity.

Batman becomes a tragic antihero, with sufficient wealth to create any personna, but becomes so immersed in revenge that he never can have a healthy relationship.

This is why the natural conclusion of The Dark Knight Returns trashes Superman as being used to become a Dr. Manhattan-like character who allows the illegalization of superheroes as vigillantees, and so arouses the ire of characters like Green Arrow and Batman. He's become ruinous to their personna. Without their identity as superheroes, they don't exist and so are annihilated by his actions. The climatic battle becomes about what is justice under those circumstances for self-preservation and autonomy.

I hope that the director and stars make something new and fresh but consider all of that. Showing CGI effects that add to the story, not merely resulting in mass destruction antithetical to the spirit of the comics.

During the nineties very interesting changes were made to lesser known characters like Swamp Thing and Animal Man. Both would be better if written in a similar vein.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'm just gonna leave this here again:

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If this is true then I'm up for it.
    As for the Momoa as Aquaman rumor, I could see it working.

4. Lawrence B

Lawrence B Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Variety reporting "Superman-Batman" getting pushed back to 2016:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/superm-1201062720/

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Not surprising at all. I don't see how they could have gotten a movie out that quickly without back-to-back shooting. (I know that was a rumor, but I was doubtful.)

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Apparently Affleck injured his leg and needs about 6 weeks to recuperate. That probably didn't help matters.

7. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's a matter of giving the production more time. Aren't they supposed to start shooting in a few weeks, anyway?! So, let's say, 6 months shooting, still would have left almost a year in post-production.

No, I think it's the competition. 2015 is full of announced would-be blockbusters, like Avengers 2, Star Wars VII, Jurassic World, Bond 24, etc.. WB propably thought the movie might perform better in 2016, since there haven't been that many big movies announced for that year, yet.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The first weekend of May is very valuable box office real estate. Marvel has tried to lay claim to it on an ongoing basis either for one of their MCU films or for a licensed film made by another studio. The last time the first weekend of May didn't feature the release of a Marvel film was 2006. It's generally thought that Marvel's untitled 6th May 2016 release will turn out to be Doctor Strange, so Warners looking to shoulder Marvel aside and grab that release date is a very interesting turn of events.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Maybe they'll push back the release date until the second Tuesday of next week....

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought maybe this was for production time, but I looked and most of the 2015 movies haven't started filming yet, so it must not be that. I wonder if they have run into some kind of an issue?

11. The Old Mixer

The issue: They're scaredy-fraid of going up against the Avengers. Always have been.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

A two-year turnaround for a major FX-heavy sequel is tough. Not impossible - it has certainly been done, such as with Spider-Man 2 - but tough. You factor in a script that's been in quite a bit of flux over the last few months and a delay makes sense. Plus 2016 isn't looking as competitive as 2015, although it would shake things up further if Star Wars, Episode VII gets delayed to summer 2016, too.

Another thing to bear in mind: if the rumors are true that they want to follow up with a Justice League movie very quickly after the release of Superman/Batman then this delay gives them the time to get both productions ready for release in 2016 and 2017 respectively.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  13. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Always? Then why did Warner Bros. release The Dark Knight Rises just two months after Marvel's The Avengers?

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It would be kind of amusing if Marvel doesn't back down and move their untitled project out of that same weekend. Right now their brand is far stronger; I think Warner Bros. would be quicker to swerve aside in a game of chicken than Marvel would.

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Marvel brand doesn't apply equally to every Marvel movie. Most of the prospective Phase 3 titles would lose to Superman/Batman.

Disney's strongest countermove would be to move the untitled Marvel film from that weekend and move Star Wars there instead, laying claim to the first weekend of May as theirs and theirs alone and forcing Warner to move Superman/Batman.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm all for that idea. Star Wars belongs in May anyway. :p

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see Disney moving Star Wars: Episode VII again to May 2016 after Bob Iger promised to deliver a Star Wars movie in 2015. Then again, J.J. Abrams was hired over a year ago to direct Episode VII and there hasn't been much progress as of yet, so who knows. Last I heard, they are suppose to film in the spring and there hasn't been any official casting announcements yet, so anything is possible.

As for the news that Batman/Superman is getting pushed into May 2016, this is probably a good thing. It moves the film away from an already crowded summer and as many others have said already, allows the film to open the summer 2016 movie season. Plus, this allows them more time to hone the script and figure out what exactly they are doing in terms of setting up Justice League or just sticking to the planned Batman/Superman story.

Then again, Man of Steel was originally slated for Christmas 2012 and was consequently pushed back to June 2013, and that didn't really have any impact on the quality of the movie, so who knows. I am definitely more hopeful after hearing Argo scribe Chris Terrio has been brought on to polish the script, but I'm still very skeptical of the movie's chances. Hopefully this added 10 months allows them to make the best movie possible.

18. The Old Mixer

I was referring to their hesitant, timid attempts to get a competing Justice League franchise going.

19. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I don't know why many are seeing this delay as a good thing since this will no doubt push every other DC property Warner Bros. is trying to do by roughly three years. That's what? At least six Marvel Universe movies by the time the Superman/Batman film is released?

That fact that this supposedly new franchise spawns from one of the most widely mixed super hero movies in a long time isn't really a confidence booster, nor is having everyone who were largely responsible for that film's problems still in charge of the next entry.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Where do you get that from? This move is actually moving Justice League to an Earlier date, since they are taking more time on Superman/Batman, so it and Justice League can be filmed back to back, and released the following year (Rather than 2 or 3 years after Superman/Batman)