Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I wouldn't say 'excellent', October is a long way away. I was hoping it would be out before the summer.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uhh... actually, I'd expect it to be later. The last individual issue isn't out until December.

5. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

but it saves me the hassle of finding out where & when individual comics are sold, and that I can take care of the entire series, with one easy purchase, from a internet site I actually know.

Of all the things to criticise me for, this is a tad unfair, when the comic comes out, is not something I can do anything about.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Assimilation-Squared is an eight issue series, and IDW's compilation graphic novels usually contain four issues. So I think we'll likely be getting two compilations here.

7. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

ooh, I am going to have to look out for that

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Will make a nice Christmas gift. For me.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the Classic GI Joe trades IDW's doing of the Marvel run have averaged 10 issues. i suspect they'd be more likely to do one 8-issue collection of the entire series than 2.

10. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I see on amazon it say 104 pages, if that helps anybody, so 13 pages per comic, sounds low to me.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was expecting it to be later as well, like December or even Jan. Maybe the hardcover will be collected next year. Or Omnibus I guess.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I wasn't criticising you, I was just expressing some disappointment that it won't be out earlier. Why take it personally?!

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

But if the compilation is released in October than there's no possible way it could be all 8 issues since by then only six issues will have been released. I therefore maintain my belief that the October compilation will only be the first four with the next four being released sometime after December, and an omnibus edition being released sometime later. There are precedents for this pattern.

14. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I twigged to this too. Best to take that October date with a grain of salt. Unless it's only a 4-issue mini-series in which case the date works.

You certainly wouldn't see Assimilation released before October in any event because even if the mini-series is only 4 issues, it would still be underway. Possible they're planning to issue it in two halves as noted above. An October release date would allow IDW to capitalize on TNG's 25th anniversary.

Page count given by Amazon is 102 pages. Anyone want to do the math and see how that tallies with the average page count of IDW titles? That might be your answer right there.

And remember, Amazon has been wrong before. For years they listed a William Burroughs novel for sale, even though it had long been cancelled. If the October date is correct, we should be able to confirm via comic store solicitations almost immediately (tomorrow is new releases day, so ask your shop).

Alex

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

An October book wouldn't be listed until the August Previews, which would be in comic shops on the last Wednesday in July. Suffice it to say, a comic retailer isn't going to be able to confirm or deny. :)

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that IDW is publishing two volumes -- the first (in October) with issues #1-4, the second (presumably in February 2013) with issues #5-8, and then a hardcover omnibus (since Star Trek/Legion is getting a hardcover collection) later in 2013, probably September.

A volume in October will get IDW some Christmastime sales. An omnibus next fall will be able to take advantage of the excitement for Who's 50th anniversary and more Christmastime sales. :)

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i'd bet dollars to donuts it's a wrong date on Amazon, they've flubbed plenty of release dates in the past

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

It's been a while since I collected comic books so bear with me. They release them monthly right?

18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Aye

Knowing IDW tt'll be two TPB's (or hardcovers) I bet you. They did the same with the Spike miniseries last year, it was 8 issues long, and rather than just waiting and having them all in one big collection, they split them up into 2 thin ones of 4 issues each.

Why? $$$$

19. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I guess 2 is better than 8, but still im not sure I want to read the first half and then wait a few months for the second, it defeats the point of buying them as a collective.

20. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I believe the schedule is a monthly release, yes.

Not really. It's still a collective with the 4 issues and the intent is then for you to buy the individual issues thereafter. It makes sense to me.

The good news about omnibuses is they don't go out of print as quickly as regular comics. Plus, while you can buy them in comic shops, they also get wider distribution (usually a few weeks later) via Amazon, Book Depository, etc. So you can choose to wait till both books are out if you like.

Remember IDW didn't have to put out two volumes if that's what they're doing. They could have made you wait till the summer of 2013 before seeing anything, if you weren't interested in buying the monthly comic. I say just buy the monthly comic and if you like it, get the collection. That's what I'm doing. That also goes for the numerous Doctor Who story arcs which IDW have already published in omnibus, all of which I believe are still in print.

It's a matter of patience. If you want to see patience in action, do some research regarding the "Cerebus Phone Books". These were omnibuses of Dave Sim's "Cerebus the Aardvark that usually collected anywhere from 15 to 24 monthly issues at a time, generally by story arc. As Cerebus is a single complete story that was originally published over 300 monthly issues, if you wanted to wait for the full collective, it was a 30-year wait.

Alex