Vanguard the next TV series.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by GalaxyClass1701, Oct 11, 2011.

1. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

IMO this would be the best possible move. Besides the fact that it's the best thing to come out of Trek since DS9 it takes place during the same time frame that JJ Trek is set in.

Besides that there its just so different than any Trek we have seen before by having so many non Starfleet main characters.

What do you think?

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The biggest issue is getting CBS to commit to a new series more so than what it will be about. The plot and direction will depend on whoever CBS hires as the showrunner, and where they want to take it. Otherwise, Vangaurd is just as good as some of the other stories out there.

3. GalaxyClass1701

I think it would be a lit easier to pitch Vangaurd to CBS than other things because it's got a much more moder and edgy feel to it.

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

There was already a show set on a space station. We need something new.

5. GalaxyClass1701

There was also 6 movies and three season of Kirk and they made a new film.

There was also 17 seasons of Starships.

If you read Vangaurd you know how differen it is. It doesn't even focus on the crew of the Space Station at all besides Tpyrn Reyes. Most of the stories revolve around non Starfleet members.

The Srarfleet Officers it does are different to. Ranna Desai is a Jag officer.

Non Star Fleet main characters.

Reporter Tim Pennington.
    Cervantes Quinn
    Ambassador Jetenian
    Crime boss Gantz
    Lugock Klingon Ambassador
    Carol Marcus

There are also 3-4 Star ships assigned to the station.

To say it's like DS9 just because there is a space station doesn't work. It's like saying we can't do TNG there was already a show about the Enterprise.

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I've read the Vanguard novels. They're ok. But IMHO they're not so great that I'd want to watch a show about it. If you do, good for you.

7. GalaxyClass1701

See I have no problem with this if you don't like it that's fine with me. I just didn't think your previous point was valid about being too simlar to DS9.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you seen CBS's lineup? "Edgy" is not the first phrase that comes to mind. :rommie:

But just for fun, give us your elevator pitch. In 30 words or less, why should the CBS suits greenlight your idea?

9. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

I don't even know about Vanguard, but just from the description of the characters it sounds like nBSG. Does this space station have Marines?

From what I have been reading here abouts, there really shouldn't be any suggestion for a new TV show because of CBS' demeanor towards Trek. If that changes THEN people can go hog wild about ideas for a new show.

10. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I'd watch it.

But I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. And there isn't ten million of me.

11. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

This sums up my opinion on it. There's plenty of shows I'd love to see, but they'd end up as bottomless pits for producers to throw money into.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I only read the first Vanguard book and half of the second one. The first was okay, but I couldn't get through the second and gave up. I have read vague plot descriptions for the rest of the series, however.

First of all, there's no way CBS is going to do a new series that takes place at the same time as TOS of the prime timeline. I suspect that if a Vanguard series did happen, it would be in the Abrams timeline.

But more importantly, everything in it's been done in sci-fi. The space station setting's been done in DS9 and B5, as have all the poilitical intrigue among the various superpowers. They mysterious ancient alien race that has left its technology laying around is the basis for the entire Stargate franchise.

And finally, later books of Vanguard seem really into Trek continuity. Admiral Nogura's a main character for fuck sakes.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If someone with credibility in the entertainment industry comes along and presents a compelling case to CBS why this Star Trek: Vanguard series is a good risk for them vs whatever else they could be doing with their time and money, then that could easily happen.

I doubt CBS suits actually understand that Abrams' movies are in an alternate reality or if they understand, that they care. Would the TV and movie audience be confused? Only if they're paying enough attention to be confused. I wouldn't be anything on that being the case.

But I still haven't seen any indication why anyone with credibility in the entertainment industry, even those like Kurtzman and Orci or Seth McFarlane, who have expressed interest in doing a Star Trek series, should be interested in adapting Vanguard in particular, or that CBS would respond favorably to that pitch in lieu of any other than could be made.