TrekBBS Academy Awards #16: Best Picture, 1982

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Star Treks, Feb 15, 2009.

?

Which Best Picture nominee in 1982 most deserved the Oscar?

1. E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Gandhi

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  3. Missing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Tootsie

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. The Verdict

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Star Treks

Star Treks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16th in a series of polls examining the opinion of you, the TrekBBS users. Which of the original five Academy Award nominees actually should have won? Up next: Best Picture, 1982... which nominee deserved the award most? Comments encouraged.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

For comparison, the top-rated English language feature films of 1982 on IMDB are:

Blade Runner (8.3)
    Gandhi (8.2)
    The Thing (8.1)
    Fitzcarraldo (8.0)
    E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (7.9)
    The Flight of Dragons (7.8)
    The Plague Dogs (7.8)
    The Grey Fox (7.7)
    Missing (7.7)
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (7.7)
    The Verdict (7.7)
    The King of Comedy (7.6)
    Sophie's Choice (7.6)

Tootsie scores a 7.4. Some other notable films from '82 are Poltergeist (7.4), Frances (7.3), Victor Victoria (7.3), Fast Times at Ridgemont High (7.2), My Favorite Year (7.2), Diner (7.1), and The World According to Garp (7.0).

I've seen all five nominated films and it's a very strong group, just as it was a strong year overall. Pretty much any one of the five would have been a worthy winner, but I'll stick with the film that did win and vote for Gandhi.

3. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

This was a great year for movies. IMO, E.T, Tootsie and The Verdict could all have won if they'd had the better fortune of coming out in another year.

But Gandhi is a masterpiece. A practically flawless picture.

4. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gandhi. It was amazing...and I saw it as a ten-year-old! At that time, I was more interested in sci-fi, but I was still absolutely drawn in by Gandhi.

5. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My favourite film from that year is unquestionably Blade Runner, but from the list of nominees, the only one I've seen is E.T. I do quite like E.T., but I'm going to abstain from naming a favourite until I see some of the other movies.

6. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

I've seen all those movies. Gandhi is by some distance the best of them.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'll vote for Tootsie, as comedies are often underrated. But Blade Runner is my absolute favorite, although I'll readily admit the theatrical release is not the best version of the film by any estimation.

8. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've gone for ET as it's my favourite, although Gandhi is probably the superior film.

9. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Gandhi got my vote-but ANY one of these movies is a contender-its really a shame when you look at other years and realize the winners weren't as good as the 'also rans' in this year. I'm particularly favorable towards The Verdict-an astounding portrayal of a flawed man by an actor 99% of the audience would expect to go for the "safe" roles because he could cruise on his looks. (Cruise, get it?) Instead, Newman makes you love and dislike his character-and feel just as strongly from both aspects, which is the mark of a true classic role, IMO. Hoffman in Tootsie was unbelievable, ET is so timeless that I showed my child last week for the first time and he was captivated(admittedly, he's just pushing 3, but still, he was fascinated!), and Missing is so tense I have a hard time watching it-I tend to grit my teeth until my jaw aches. What a year!

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gandhi. Good movie.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

If it was elligible, Blade Runner should have won.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Even the theatrical cut? I'd say the stupidity of the tacked on ending, the omission of the Unicorn dream sequence, and the redundant, insulting voice over narration knock the film out of serious contention.

13. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Gandhi, without a doubt.

A superb film.

14. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Hands down -- GANDHI. That film is an absolute masterpiece.

Good lord, I was 13 back then and thought E.T. was the biggest piece of crap I'd ever seen (I didn't see it until 1983), and my friend's mother wanted to argue with me that I liked it. :wtf: 'Scuse me, but I think I know what I like versus what I don't like, thankyouverymuch.

15. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

ahndi i my vote and Ricardo Monteblan hould have won a Best Supporting Actor award for hi portrayal of Khan.

16. adg

adg Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

^ Can I have what you're having? :lol: :p

Gandhi gets my vote....... a fantastic film!

17. Star Treks

Star Treks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dunno, I don't think Montalban would have been a terrible choice. It's certainly one of the most memorable supporting performances of all time.

Let's see, who actually won?

LOUIS GOSSETT, JR. in "An Officer and a Gentleman"

He's a fine actor, but I for one don't remember much about this role (andI actually saw the movie).

I'm just saying, I don't think it's crazy to say Montalban was worthy of consideration.

18. adg

adg Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

^No, I meant your typing. :p

I agree about Montalban, by the way.

19. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

Sorry. Tron Beats every film here. ;)

20. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am ashamed to say that I have never seen Gandhi! But Tootsie is one of my favourite all time movies, so I had to go with that!