Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Aatrek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

It could be worse. No one seems to give a sh*t at all about the ENT blu-ray sets. :)

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Honestly, I think they're releasing the TNG sets too close together. There's no time to build up hype or fans appetite between releases.

I'm not even sure I'm going to pick up season five at this point. Just too much of an overload.

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Are going picking up the ENT sets, too, or just the TNG sets?

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've just been buying the TNG sets. Paid way too much for the Enterprise DVD's that I own and have barely watched to justify repurchasing.

5. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I've been only getting TNG as well. Would like to get the first two seasons of ENT for all that VAM, but having revisited the show on Netflix I just didn't enjoy the show that much, and great bonus material isn't enough for me to justify spending all those bucks. Maybe when I find them real cheap, maybe. I'm definitely getting the third and fourth seasons for next year.

6. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has anyone seen any retailers mention a $59.99 price yet? Retailers all seem to have it at $79.99 right now.

7. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Best Buy ad here:

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 5 $57.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation Unification $14.99

8. jimbotron

9. MakeshiftPython

Comparing some of the screencaps between the old DVDs and blu-ray really shows the benefits of this remastering. For such a long time the show used to look flat and as a result sometimes felt unremarkable, even when compared to the 2004 DVD release of TOS as that was at least produced on film rather than video. This screen comparison I put here really sums it up for me, and this is only when the HD cap is resized to the DVD's native 480.

DVD 2002
    [​IMG]

Blu-ray 2013
    [​IMG]

The TNG cast were not kidding when they say the show now looks like it was shot yesterday. It really does. This kind of clarity adds something to these TNG viewings. Now looking just as good as its written.

10. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

I love the colour correction and the improved clarity. Even season 5 had a yellowish tinge to most of its scenes. Glad to see in the remastering that it's no longer present!

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love to see a proper remastering of the Star Trek movies. The TNG blu rays blow the movie blu ray releases out of the stars.

12. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Both Picard (head top) & Data's (forehead) are blown out on the remaster...and didn't need to be...but it is what it is. (One of my day to day jobs is color correction)

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I'll accept this, and even some minor crushing, as long as the horrible, ultra drab, washed out visual sheen of Season 5 is alleviated.

14. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

^^I'm with ya.

I had no idea just how bad/inconsistent the DVD sets were until the Remastering was done. Though I did know Season 1 looked just bad from the getgo on DVD & Broadcast.

15. jimbotron

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just curious for those who have the set for review (I believe that would be Frontier), was there a trailer for Season 6? I'm sure it's coming out sometime early next year but just curious if we have our first bit of information on that season. Also, it will be interesting to see DS9 in High Definition for that set, which might be a preview to what's to come with that series.

17. MakeshiftPython

Unfortunately, TrekCore said there is no S6 trailer.

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pity. I wonder what they are going to do for Season 6. You've got the start of DS9, the great Cardassian two parter in Chain of Command (I hope they chat with the guy who played Jellico, Ronnie Cox is it?), and this is the second to last season of the series. What was going on in 1992-1993 that was Star Trek based other than the Start of DS9?

As for season 5, I found out they are including the Best Buy features on this set. That is awesome as I've never seen them.

19. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Superb! Thank-you for letting us know. I have wanted to see the 1987 CGI test E-D ever since it was announced as Best Buy only VAM.

:bolian:

20. MakeshiftPython

I'm sure when a trailer is released it will definitely highlight the appearance of Scotty, "Tapestry", "Birthright", "A Fistful of Datas", "Descent".

It's too bad commentaries will only be done for best received episodes, because from what I understand Moore and Braga are eager to rip on bad ones such as "Aquiel", the one that infamously ended with "the dog did it".