The Typhon Pact

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Elemental, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

No, as I said above, I would not like to see the Federation do that. My point is to the effectiveness of tactics, not their morality. Above all, the Federation should be moral - else its not an optimistic future.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, okay then sorry for the miss understanding.

3. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

^ No worries. :)

4. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

I would think a good rule of thumb, as far as UFP foreign policy is concerned, would be:

No nation may initiate the use of force against another. When defending itself (and its allies) against aggressors, the Federation is perfectly justified in using force (as in the Dominion War), but only then.

Seems simple enough...in theory, of course. :)

In other words, if war ever breaks out between The Khitomer Alliance and The Typhon Pact, The UFP must take great pains to ensure that the Alliance does not start the war.

However...should war break out, common sense demands that the Alliance must be prepared to fight. Survival depends on it.

5. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Question is: Should that fight be limited to ship-to-ship combat? And should it only be defensive? During the Dominion War it was necessary to go on the offensive to end it quickly. Should direct battle be the only means of ensuring a quick end to war? More subtle and covert attempts (such as helping Cardassian dissidents against the Dominion) can be successful in ending conflict and bringing all sides to the negotiating table.

6. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

^ And in the mean-time while the Dominion are laying Seige to the entire Federation?

7. Rush Limborg

Of course.

But the war must be for the purpose of defense. Once an aggressor attacks, a nation must be willing to do (as the Constitution says) all that is Neccessary And Proper in order to defeat this enemy--through negotiation where possible, through military and covert action where neccessary.

And believe me...it often is neccessary.

8. rahullak

9. Rush Limborg

^Thank you! And :bolian: to you to, mate!

(Hey...I could get used to this "Fleet Captain" thing....)

10. Hartzilla2007

You like doing all the paperwork and other crap us Commodore's don't want to do. Or are you talking about either going insane or being horribly disfigured :evil:

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the answer to most of those question would entirely depend on the direction of the war, and the actions of the Typhon Pact.

12. Hartzilla2007

And if any conflict with the Pact evolves beyond the Cold War stage.

13. rahullak

^
    True. True.

14. Rush Limborg

Both...and neither! :angel:

15. Rush Limborg

Agreed. As I've stated, I'm thinking the Pact will be trying to test the nerve of the Alliance via "torpedo drills", non-violent dogfighting (think the first scene of Top Gun), and diplomatic bullying--and perhaps, every once in a while, the starting of some border wars, a la Korea and Vietnam....

(Gee, hope I'm not taking the Cold War analogy too seriously again....)

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was simply responding to rahullak, I really don't think there will be a war. My thinking is that there might be a few little fights, but probably nothing even close to an actual war.

17. rahullak

^
    For what it's worth, I don't think there will be a war either. But its stimulating to consider other possibilities. It is fictional exploration after all.

18. Hartzilla2007

Personally I'm hoping for something like A Singular Destiny only on a way larger scale.

19. Rush Limborg

Speaking of the Typhon Pact, and how unsure everyone is over whether it's "bad" or not....

It would be interesting if Nan Bacco would use something similar to the following as a campaign ad for a second term--with her face replacing Reagan's at the end, of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpwdcmjBgNA&feature=related

Just sayin'....;)

20. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

If Bacco was going to go the paranoid, fear-culling warmonger route, I think she has enough piss and vinegar in her to cut to the chase and just flood the Typhon powers with Genesis bombs, trilithium devices, planetbuster charges, and thus generally nuke and pave that whole half of the quadrant. If she was going to.

I really have such a lack of patience for those who have rhetoric painting a picture of an existential threat, but whose actions show they believe it to be anything but.