Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Aatrek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did they swap out the early CGI Enterprise for the revised CGI model at the beginning of the episode? I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did.

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I never understood that back in the day, and I still don't.

3. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

I'm afraid they didn't :(

4. jimbotron

That's disappointing. They went back to revise the opening credits already, so it's not like they ignored the episode. It couldn't have taken more than 5 minutes to make that change.

5. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Though amusingly (or frustratingly, take your pick), they DID replace it with the new CG shot for the deleted scenes for "The Inner Light," available on the same disc. And I'm not exactly sure what that's supposed to mean. It seems as if CBS Digital's attitude is, "If it's not missing or a mistake, we're not going to change what we've already done... even if a better shot is available!"

6. jimbotron

Weaksauce. The sampler episodes have left kind of a messy footprint on the season sets.

But I guess this is the drawback of having CBS-D working on seasons 5-7 themselves while maintaining the same schedule. They don't have time to redo stuff that's already "good enough".

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  7. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Jay Chattaway did "Tin Man". Shocking, as it sounds NOTHING like any of the work he put in after, and likely because after that episode he was told by producers to "tone it down, make it bland, don't stir up my emotions". Actually telling a music composer "don't make music that manipulates my emotions" has got to be one of the most face palming things I've ever heard. I can understand a part of it, as Rick Berman wanted "let drama to be drama" rather than have the music carry it, but Jesus. You can tell how frustrated they sounded over being so restrained, but it payed the bills and fed the family I guess.

8. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Watching Imaginary Friend and noticed that a blue screen shot was never filled. You can clearly see it when Troi and Clara leave ten forward. I don't know if it was original or not but seems to be a mistake none the less.

9. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These season sets are coming out far too quickly for my liking, and my reasons for that are now becoming evident. Before season 1 was issued, I remember a few people including myself being concerned at how CBS would get through seven seasons of restoration in a year and a half. We had the season one re-issue debacle due to video and audio errors, and there now seem to be unfilled bits of blue screen on the season 5 set.

I'd gladly have seen a 6 monthly schedule for these sets if it meant that CBS did the job properly. After farming out season 2 to a bunch of rank amateurs, you just know CBS will redo the season at some point, and that fans will have to shell out more cash.

10. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well the shorter period between releases of S1-5 was due to the two-team approach CBS opted for. Expect the wait between S5-6 and S6-7 to be slightly longer, as the last two seasons are squarely on the shoulders of CBS-D.

11. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just checked Netflix and the original was done properly as seen in the screencap provided.

[​IMG]

Either way, I think a mistake like this is inexcusable...

12. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

In the original episode, there was another shot of the blue screen visible through the Ten Forward doors. This either wasn't fixed.

[​IMG]

13. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

That blue really stands out. I can't believe they missed that.

14. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is something that CBS-D likely weren't aware of. If the FX were not detailed in the Okuda Notes supplied to CBS-D, then it wouldn't be on their radar.

Nevertheless, I'll flag it with them and perhaps it can be corrected for future broadcasts.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I ordered the set late, it should be here by Tuesday. Looking forward to it and sharing some thoughts.

RAMA

16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Makes me think of the scene in "Amadeus" when Mozart is told his music has "too many notes."

17. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The heavy usage of the blurry fly by is really dissappointing for me. It always takes me out of an episode. :(

18. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Beginning in "Conundrum", it no longer appears.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finally started actually watching the episodes tonight and I still want to commend CBS-D for this effort, especially the outside shots. I watched both Darmok and Ensign Ro (Two terrific episodes) and the outside shots (especially the one of the beast on El a'dril) are spectacular.

As for the blurry shots, they don't bother me as much as they probably should. It's such a quick shot that if you blink you'll miss it. Looking forward to going deeper into this set and revisiting these episodes, which I haven't seen in a long while.

20. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was surprised at how much location shooting was done in season 5. The first 3 episodes (Darmok, Ensign Ro, and Silicon Avatar) all had the cast going on location (granted Darmok and Ro were to the same location and filming was able to overlap).

No wonder they needed Disaster as a bottle show to recoup some costs, but it still turned out to be a great episode!