STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I remember fondly when this thread was about the box office numbers of Star Trek Into Darkness. :rommie:

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Been a fan since 1975. Abrams Trek looks like the Trek I grew up with. :shrug:

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And I remember fondly the days when people cared about the content of a film and if they personally liked it, and not if that content appealed to a majority of other people.

I personally don't give a flying fuck about the box office of a film. There are so many films that I didn't like that make a gazillion of dollars, and just as many films that I love that totally bombed.

4. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Then why are you in this thread.....people care about box office because it tells us if we're going to get more movies.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

If you don't care about the box office, why post in a thread that's all about...the box office?

There's plenty of room in this forum to talk about other things (and, indeed, most of the forum is devoted to other things).

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's more than "a few". CBS expected interest in the 2009 movies to increase sales of TOS boxed sets of DVDs in stores. They reported a huge spike in sales for all the spin-off series.

7. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

It's phenomenal, no question. But that and $28M will get your sci-fi, action-adventure franchise mothballed for a decade or so at least.

8. BillJ

For someone that doesn't care, you've posted in this thread eight times and have likely read a bunch of it. :p

9. JarodRussell

What thread would be the right one to state that I don't care about box office then, if not a thread about box office? Point me to it, please. Or shall I randomly state it in random threads?

But it would give me one phenomenal film instead of 10 mediocre ones, wouldn't it? Are you sad that Shawshank Redemption didn't get a sequel, or a prequel, or a reboot?

10. BillJ

So you need other people to know that you don't care about the box office totals? :lol:

11. Greylock Crescent

Not one bit. But it's not a franchise, either. I'm not curious about the further adventures of Andy Dufresne and Red - or other stories at Shawshank prison. I am, however, curious to see the friendship of Spock and Kirk continue. I'm curious about other adventures of the Starship Enterprise and how the Federation struggles to maintain its ideals in an imperfect, dangerous galaxy. And I'm not alone in that curiosity.

So you'd prefer one last glorious incarnation of Trek - one that you, personally love more than any other film, but no others for anyone else ... in perpetuity?

If so, it would seem a rather self-centered position.

12. JarodRussell

Huh? I'm part of the audience, why should I care what other people like? Of course it's a self centered position. I want what I like. Doesn't the very same apply for you as well, or anyone else? Do you want them to make Trek films that you don't like so others can like it? That would be quite... generous.

And yes, I'd indeed prefer one really good Trek film over a couple mediocre ones.

Same goes for the next Star Wars films. They want to bombard us with three more episodes AND with additional films centered on the characters. Just give me one really good film I like, that's enough.

13. Greylock Crescent

I want them to make Star Trek films. Some of them I like very much (Into Darkness), others not so much (Nemesis, The Final Frontier). But, and here's the thing, I'm grateful for each one. One can apply personal taste to Star Trek without the wholly and myopically unrealistic comparison between it (as a sci-fi, action-adventure franchise) and a one-off prison-based, historical fiction, character drama.

14. Therin of Andor

Do you really want new Treks to play in poky little "art house" cinemas?

It's still kinda disappointing to me that the one ST film that "spoke" to the inner Trekkie within me, in December 1979, was ST:TMP - and yet when I tried to discuss it with diehard Trek fans, friends, work colleagues or family members, they dismissed as being slow and boring or "not real Star Trek". I wanted to chat Trek and had to live with naysayers telling me I didn't know quality.

I "personally liked" TMP, but it seemed like its content had NOT "appealed to a majority of other people". Devastating! And TMP was a huge financial success? It seemed to me, at the time, that the only reason 60s TOS fans even went to see TMP (often over and over!) was because TOS wasn't running on TV.

Later, as much as "ST IV: The Voyage Home" would often be touted as the "crowd pleaser" Trek movie - another huge money spinner for the franchise, I well remember longstanding members of our club walking away from all of Star Trek fandom grumbling about "the dumbing down of the franchise". And then came TNG, to spook off even more. Luckily, their absence was quickly overwhelmed by brand new, often younger, fans racing to take their place.

Our club would have died a fast death without waves of new, entusiastic people discovering the next new Trek, then investigating previous Treks from their unique perspectives.

But without commercial appeal you get... ST V. Or "Nemesis".

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  15. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

The questions are...

How will it open in the dozen countries left?

And in the US, what will the final figures be?

230 or 240 MM?

16. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although action isn't my preference, I don't mind STID being an action film. I just want it to be a good film. Is that too much to ask? Just because it's an action movie doesn't mean there has to be huge plot holes, terrible dialog ect.

Action or not, STID was terrible.

Some reviewers are now calling it "Star Trek Into Dumbness." A fitting title.

17. Therin of Andor

And most reviewers have loved it. It's rating on "Rotten Tomatoes" is still very respectable. I've seen it four times now and have new things to like about it each time. Is it perfect? No. What ST movie is?

I thought Shatner's ST V was pretty dumb most of the time; others say it's their favourite ST movie.

IDIC = Infinite diversity, infinite combinations.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Which reviewers are those? Rotton Tomatoes has it at 87% based on critics reviews and 92% base customer ratings.

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Well, they still air reruns of that. Have at it.

20. Therin of Andor