The Art of Star Trek: Reanimated - The Sequel

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Kagan

Kagan Commodore Commodore

Soooo....are the eyes going to have green blood vessels and the eyelid edges...will they be green cast as well. If so, that makes you one kewl dude!

2. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Yep, the 'soft parts' will be colored accordingly - hey, if Filmation can eliminate the whites of the characters' eyes entirely, it's no less 'non-canon' to make them appear to be biologically unique and not just California actors in makeup ;)

3. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow! That's amazing! Can't wait to see more.

4. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Say, Ptrope? Someone inquired about your project and I intended to share the link you post within your signature line. Unfortunately, it seems to access nothing more than a "holding Page". Did the site "expire"? And reviewing this thread, many of the renders you hotlinked from your domain no longer appear, possibly due to same issue, whatever it may be.

Can you provide a "heads up"?

Sincerely,

Bill

5. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, now I'm intrigued to wonder what's going on here myself!

6. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Thanks for the heads-up, Redfern - you've always got my back! I changed my web host, and even though the paths were right, the new host is case-sensitive, unlike the previous one, so "images" is not the same thing as "Images." I've tried to fix all the image links I could find. Hey, it's almost like a whole new thread now! :)

7. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Ptrope, the link in your sig. still does not work....

Q2

8. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since two scenes in "The Time Trap" take place within engineering (the first when the Klingon Kara places the bomb behind a hardware access panel and the second when Spock and Scotty discover the capsule), obviously that section of the ship will have to be depicted. Now, Ptrope will probably want to go with his own model-work, a "wild" set that can have bulkheads and components moved about for maximum cinematography.

However, just to get a rough idea how such a "stage set" might appear, allow me to present two shots using a model constructed by one Alt1701. I replaced the supplied "binocular island" with a slightly more accurate one modeled by Xcalpro, and to fill some of the "wasted" deck-plan, I included his "dynamo" units, those huge hardware "blocks" used more during the first season. The engineering staff are all based upon the Poser 4 male figure. (Cary L. Brown uses a Polo shirted version to represent scale in his latest Enterprise modeling project.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No, this isn't an official part of Ptrope's project. Consider them nothing more than unsolicited "conceptual" renders.

Sincerely,

Bill

9. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

A couple more great renders of this set, Redfern! I continue to be impressed by how good it looks, and it's most likely what will be used for the project.

Let me add, too, especially after how long this project has gone virtually (no pun intended) nowhere, that I've never intended to do this alone, nor to build all the sets; I've just been building the ones that I thought needed to be built, and shared them with the rest of the community, because I've always seen this as a community project. Think of me as "the director/producer"; it's always been my hope to bring together volunteers who have skills far greater than mine, and who all share my enthusiasm for the idea of recreating the visual aspects of "The Time Trap" (and, if that succeeds, maybe more episodes) in 3D, for release back to the fan community. I know almost nothing about animation, so I hope to gather those who do have the skills, the time and the enthusiasm; the same goes for those who wish to model the sets and props that are unique to "The Time Trap" and want to contribute that to a larger project capable of demonstrating the viability of updating the animation of TAS to modern standards. For now, the website is offline (I've updated my sig so the link no longer leads one to a brick - or any wall), but I am working to completely revamp it so it can function as it was intended, as a community clearing house and project management tool, as well as simply a place to discuss Trek and relax, someplace where folks can volunteer and contribute, where elements can be discussed, assigned, explored and tested, ultimately to result in the first episode of "Star Trek: Reanimated." Who knows - maybe someone associated with Filmation will find a way to put us in touch with the original recordings so the best quality of the soundtrack can be achieved - but first, we'll need to produce something that moves :). And that's my responsibility - to create a proof of concept so maybe folks will want to join in and show me and everyone else how it should and can be done. :bolian:

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Inspired by Redfern's post above, I've started 'upgrading' alt1701's already-excellent engineering set to what I'm calling the '4th season'; this is the direction I hope to take the set for "The Time Trap," even though the scene which takes place here is a short one. As with the modification to the bridge (the MSD over the engineering station), these changes assume a 4th season with an expanded budget; in a way, it's also a response to Trek XI - rather than relabeling a brewery as 'engineering,' I thought it would be an interesting exercise to start with the right set, and add a bit more mechanical detailing to it, so that the pipes and catwalks actually related to familiar areas and weren't just there to look like a lot of, well, pipes and catwalks. This is just a WIP, not the finished piece, but it's an idea of how this room might've looked if Matt Jefferies had been tasked with making it look a little more 'industrial.' (the lighting, btw, is only for mood, not for actual use ;))

[​IMG]

The bulk of the set is still alt1701's, but I've replaced the bulkhead, ceiling and the central island (which now has some additional detail, as well, as evidenced by this short AVI), as well as adding the various pipes and conduits above and below, breaking through the floor so that the island is now clearly part of a system that continues below-deck, and adding the 'tower' that continues up through the ceiling. I still need to build the framework for the catwalk, add a monitoring station at the end of it (there's got to be some reason for it to be there, right ;)?), and open up the upper decks where the catwalk stairs connect; there's also the entire forward section to detail. But it's a start!

11. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

Holy Crap! You put the TARDIS Time Rotor into the island. Nice! :bolian:

12. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great work! Send this to J.J. and tell him this is more like we wanna see next time!

13. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ptrope, what are the orange tubings behind the rastering? Is that the actual core? Like in "this is the part that can be shot out when need be"?

14. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Love that engineering section Ptrope! Awesome work!

15. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Well, I don't know about being 'shot out,' but that section behind the big screen has always been there from the beginning:

[​IMG]
    (Screen cap from "Court Martial" - s.1)

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

OK, gotta say it. You know that pic supports the use of cement floors for engineering in the Trek XI?:lol:

17. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

The screen cap? Yeah, possibly. But what kind of floors do we expect a starship to have? Metal? Once it's painted, one material looks pretty much like another; I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the floors made of some sort of laminate or composite, or even poured, whether that would be concrete, plascrete, or some other synthetic material, the same way most modern buildings are constructed; we never saw floor panels that would allow access to the ship's infrastructure, but it's just as likely that they weren't there, with access being gained through the ceiling, instead, again as with modern building techniques. I didn't have a problem with the idea of concrete floors in the new film, frankly, only with them having giant fermentation vats bolted to them ;)

18. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Wow. The engine room is looking fab.

What is that guy on catwalk up to? Naked jumping jacks?

19. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Looks like the maid got really serious with the floor wax.

20. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Well, yeah - it was Future ... :D