The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ah OK, I thought "Thanks..." indicated sincerity, and the eye roll was directed at nobody having created one before now. :alienblush:

2. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a really good point about Season 2-Part A. But Season 2- Part B was really slow.
    fact that Shane turned. And then the Farm was over run.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The slowness of the first half of season 2 is nothing compared to the awfulness of the second half of season 3. The last half of season 3 felt like the writers had stopped caring.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The thing with Sophia is that I *knew* she had turned and she was going to show up at some point, especially once we found out what was in the barn. She had to have been turned once a day passed on the show because if she hadn't then the zombies were no longer a credible threat if an 8-year-old girl managed to avoid them and not get bit after DAYS. Weeks, likely, given the recovery of Rick's kid and him changing to a little shit that needs a good smack across the head.

It seemed to me after a while every episode was this:

Rick: "We need to find Sophia!"
    Shane: "We need to get movin'!"
    Hershel: "You need to get off my land!"

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No hey problema. And it's not exactly like I'm outraged at the OP not searching for the original thread. It was more like gentle teasing. :cool:

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

In my opinion the eye roll emoticon does not make it seem like gentle teasing. It just looks like you're coming into this thread for the sole purpose of dumping on the OP.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I consider:

:rolleyes: = Thinking something is stupid or someone is a moron
    :p = Gentle Teasing
    ;) = Sarcasm

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^Pretty much. The eye roll has got to be the most irritating emoticon on the BBS.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That's a perfect description of the first half of season 2!:techman:

10. Trekker4747

I just wish Season 3 was available, but it's not OnDemand or on Netflix or anything so I have to wait on it. :( Even though the series is available on NetFlix I might look into buying the DVD sets. Because it is an enjoyable show. :)

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

AMC will probably do a marathon of season 3 in the next couple of months just to keep interest up for season 4.

12. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they are doing one July 4 but I could be wrong.

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

it should be on Netflix soon. If memory serves, Season 2 was available last August or September at least over a month before season 3 premiere. They want to get as many people caught up before a new season begins, yet they want to sell dvd's as well so it's a balancing act.

14. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the record, I thought season 3 was much better than season 2, which may have been largely because of the lack of one extremely annoying subplot from the first 2 seasons, which ended in season 2. However, I have some real problems with season 3 as well. It's more exciting than season 2, but there were moments when I thought the characters were behaving inconsistently because the writers changed their traits or skills level just to force a plot.

I wonder how you will feel about
    Rick in season 3. I'm willing to bet that you'll find him super-annoying most of the time. But it's a character arc that makes sense for him. On the other hand, Hershell becomes the most level-headed person in season 3.

15. Trekker4747

Looks like there's something of a marathon between Thursday and Sunday of the series on AMC, with S3 playing at the end of the week. DVR already set to record!

16. Trekker4747

Well, between Netflix and the July 4th weekend I've finished all three seasons of The Walking Dead.

I quite like it, especially after most of the more annoying characters died in the second season or improved enough for me to really like them (Daryl.)

The Governor storyline was a bit tedious sometimes and he came across a bit too much as a mustache-twirling villain but still the season ended good. Look forward to where it goes, likely will join in for the discussions!

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Well, since you said you are finished with all three seasons. I'll say I hated what they did with the Andrea character in season three. Talk about character assassination! :(

Really, the best run that this show has done was second half of season two all the way to the first half of season three. I really hope season four will be able to bounce back in terms of great writing.

18. Trekker4747

Eh, I never liked Andrea much ever since she bitched out Dale for saving her life. She was suicidal and depressed because she lost her sister, Dale saved her and she acted sort of bitchy about that. (Granted, he did it kind of in an asshatty way.) But she was all over the road in Season 3 on where her loyalties lied and you'd think after seeing aquariums full of heads and the keeping of his zombified daughter The Governor was keeping she would've ran screaming for the hills. The glass shard to The Governor's eye (and seeing the injury a few times afterwards) gives me the illy willies. I hate eye stuff.

But, no, she was almost a "typical TV woman" who sees past a man's obvious instability and loves him in spite of that. Her and Padmé Amidala would get along well.

I look forward to S4, but hope to see more stuff with zombies and survival and not season-long arcs dealing with psychos like The Governor. Glad to see Maggie sticking around. :)

I knew Lori died this season but was surprised to see it happen so early in the season and afterwards knew it'd push Rick more into the Dark Side, which he comes back from by the end by welcoming in other survivors.

And I know it's a production/mood thing but the survivors could at least buy some paint and spruce up the dull gray walls of the prison a bit, make it look more livable! ;)

And, probably little surprose, Daryl is my favorite character, man can rock a crossbow, that's for sure!

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

You should check out the Walking Dead comics if you like the show. They have mostly the same cast, but the plots are quite different along with what happens to certain characters. The first two Walking Dead compendiums have been released, each compendium collects about 50 issues.

I find the most interesting part about the show to be its prison setting right now. Pretty different from the farmhouse and mall location of iconic zombie fiction.

Not surprised you think Daryl is cool. His fanbase has really grown over the years.

20. Trekker4747

I bought the Vol. trade paperback of TWD a couple weeks a go, pretty decent. I may pick up other volumes down the road but there's plot elements I know I won't like/can't handle (Rick losing his hand for example. Stuff like that just squicks me out.)