Dylan Walsh and Poppy Montgomery Team Up For Formulaic Cop Show Pilot

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Starbreaker, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well... CBS knows what works. Simply having two cops isn't cool anyone. One has to be a consultant.

e.g.

Monk
    The Mentalist
    Eleventh Hour
    Fringe

Dylan Walsh (Nip/Tuck), one of my favorite actors, is going to be a detective paired up with Poppy Montgomery (Without a Trace). Montgomery will play a woman who remembers everything.

Link

Just from the sound of things, it doesn't seem like it has anything to differentiate it from the other 45 shows on CBS.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Dylan Walsh and Poppy Montgomery Team Up For Formulaic Cop Show Pi

Just ignore CBS. Maybe they'll go away.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's too bad sci-fi isn't big on network TV, otherwise we might have four different Star Trek spinoffs all playing together on CBS. One with Andy Garcia, one with Harvey Keitel, one with Cuba Gooding Jr. and one with Kim Delaney. :lol:

4. Witterquick

Witterquick Captain Captain

Are cop shows popular outside America? I don't get this obsession. I heard CSI is a big hit in many countries. Maybe they get a sizable profit marketing these shows outside America.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

CSI and similar shows are still big hits in America.

6. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

The UK has plenty of cop\detective shows, so far as I know.

7. ElBurro

ElBurro Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm a cop show junkie, but even I'm getting fed up the whole consultant thing. Cop shows tend to go through phases in character relationships. In the early 70s, it was usually a lone cop who was the star (Columbo, Kojak, The Rockford Files). Then came the mid 70s/80s and pairs of cops (Starsky and Hutch, Cagney and Lacey, CHiPS). In the late 80s/early 90s, it was about whole precincts (Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue, Homicide). Then in the late 90s/early 00s, they moved onto focusing on a particular unit of crime solving (Without a Trace, Criminal Minds, the CSI franchise). And in the past few years, they've latched onto the consultant idea.

I don't know why they all seem to go with the same basic premise, but it's probably that whoever did it first had a hit, so everyone followed suit. I reckon they'll find some new idea soon and move on.

I don't know how popular these shows are outside of America, though. All I know is that when I get chance to watch an episode of L&O:SVU, I watch it, no matter how many times I've already seen it :lol: but I'm probably not the norm. Like I said, I'm an addict :)

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

And I'd watch them all. :rommie:

Especially Harvey Keitel!!! :eek: Is that the Klingon-centric one???

Supposedly the most popular show in the world. That alone will keep CBS motivated to keep churning this crap out.