Star Trek Online: The Needs of the Many by Michael A. Martin

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Steve Roby, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Due March 2010. Anyone know anything about this? I assume it's a tie-in to the Star Trek Online MMORPG...

2. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

The game has its own timeline (it's set a bit ahead of canon), so I assume this book would be filling in some of those gaps.

The game's timeline is here: http://www.startrekonline.com/fiction

Sounds like a story more suited to KRAD, with the lashings of politics... ;)

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

It makes sense; Star Wars has had some success with videogame tie-ins. They did a (goddamn terrible) novel that connected with the Galaxies MMO called The Ruins of Dantooine, and of course the Republic Commando series has been a massive hit. And there's a tie-in novel scheduled to go along with The Old Republic MMO, too.

4. Steve Roby

Hmm... I'm intrigued by the Old Republic novel. We've got the Knights of the Old Republic games and the comics.

5. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I am intrigued, too. I haven't played the KotOR game, but I love the comics, as well as the era in general. I won't be playing this game, either, but I'll certainly pick the book up. There's also a The Old Republic prequel comic that runs for free online, which I haven't been reading... but I haven't heard a good thing about it.

6. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This could be a novelization of the game's story or a prequel but I don't remember seeing this announced as part of the 2010 Trek lineup..

7. Steve Roby

And that's why I started this thread. I hadn't heard of it before, didn't find anything through google, and wondered if anyone knew anything more.

8. Man of Steel

Is it possible it's a mistake that no one has realized yet or an addendum to the lineup which usually is tentative and subject to change...?

9. Steve Roby

Many such things are possible, hence my asking whether anyone else knew anything more.

10. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Eeek. I don't think I'll be reading that. Totally disbanding Cardassia's military? Making Macet a carbon copy of his cousin? I don't think so.

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of Star Trek Online: The Path to 2409's backstory has been full of arbitrary, poor choices.

(Which makes me all the more pissed off when they go and try to add it to Memory Beta without differentiating from the STO timeline and the novels' timeline.)

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was also one for The Force Unleashed.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is gonna get *really* screwy with the STO versions of Donatra, President Bacco and the rest conflicting with the versions in 'standard' TrekLit.

Why does STO use some elements of TrekLit but ignore others?

14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why? They're set in a different continuity. Doing a novelization of STO's history would no more screw with the main TrekLit continuity (which still needs a goddamn name) than doing a comics adaptation of The Dark Knight would screw with the plotlines of Detective Comics and Batman.

Because it has that creative freedom. Why should STO conform to TrekLit if its creators have different ideas?

Mind you, I think that most of STO's ideas have been bad ideas, but that doesn't mean they should sublimate themselves to TrekLit, especially since they're moving way past TrekLit as they go along. My only complaint is when people try to lump the STO and TrekLit continuities into one when they're obviously separate (as many contributors at Memory Beta try to).

15. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, I share that gripe. It irritates me, too :)

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

First off, Sci's right; an ST:O novel would be set in a different continuity from the others, which is why this book (assuming it's a real book and not some catalog glitch) is specifically labelled as ST:O.

Second, we don't know yet what this book will be about. It might not cover the "Path to 2409" stuff at all but simply be set in the game's timeframe. So there may not be any use of the Trek Lit characters you mention.

Whoever's responsible for putting together the "Path to 2409" pages has a lot of history to cover, so they're borrowing various ideas from other sources, including the novels and the Countdown comic, to help fill it all in. Personally, I suspect that the "Path" material won't have much direct impact on the game, but is more a sort of promotional thing to draw and hold the audience's interest and prime them for the eventual release of the game. I'm just speculating, of course, but I'd be very surprised to see any Trek Lit characters or elements showing up in the actual gameplay. I'm sure the game company has their own distinct set of ideas they intend to focus on. And I'd expect a novel based on ST:O to focus more on that original material than on borrowings from the Pocket continuity or the comics.

17. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Well, Amazon has it up for presale, so if it's a glitch, it's traveled pretty far.

Not that Amazon is infallible (far from it!) but they haven't "created" a non-existent Trek novel for 6 or 7 years, as I recall.

Incidentally, Alan Dean Foster's upcoming NuTrek novel is now available for presale on Amazon, but Christopher's (and subsequent titles) hasn't appeared yet.

18. Man of Steel

Daddy,

the book is available for pre order on SS's own site as well.