My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, we have a second thanksgiving dinner in the spring...it kind of became an annual tradition.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind a second Christmas. Or two birthdays like hobbits have.. or is that breakfasts. Thanksgiving just sounds like a lot of work though, NO PRESENTS!!! Totally not worth it :lol:

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Christmas II was invented by John Litglow in 1985's Santa Claus The Movie.

Every damn movie.

4. teacake

Thank you for sharing the richness that is your vast mental library with us.

5. Qutluch

It is so worth it, but I love food! Plus, pictionary via the iPad/apple tv was hysterical!

6. Qutluch

Scorpion Part 1

Janeway and Leonardo Di Vinci, of course this would be Janeway’s holodeck ideal…how romantic. This was immediately followed up by the Borg cube. They need to find a way through Borg space. They nicknamed the passage the Northwest Passage….wasn’t the NW passage wrecked with chunks of Artic ice, which made it difficult to pass. Is this supposed to be a metaphor? It will be hard, packed with hazard, and you may need your safety raft at any given point??? Weapons, scanning, warning systems, medical issues, and food….yeah, they need to figure these things out because they will not be able to stop for a while…

Kes begins having telepathic visions of the Borg, and when Tuvok went to the bridge to tell them, they are intercepted by fifteen Borg vessels. The vessels go by VOY, except one which scanned them. When VOY caught up to the Borg vessels, they found them annihilated, which was Kes’ vision. They found one life form in the Borg destruction, and Chakotay takes a team to investigate. Kes has another vision while the away team is in the cube, and Janeway orders them out, they get out just as the team encounters a new alien race (the praying mantis looking creatures). The creatures used telepathy to tell Kes, “the weak will parish”. She tells Janeway to fear them rather than the Borg. Kim is infected by this new alien, and the Doctor is having a hard time stopping it. The crew cannot go through the NW passage because of the new aliens. They have to decide if they want to turn around and try to find a new way home, or settle on a planet. Janeway seeks Di Vinci for advice. Janeway decides to reach out to the Borg to make an alliance to fight the aliens. Chakotay offers one of his parabolas to help Janeway with her decision: a Scorpion Tale or Tail. The moral of the story was it is dangerous to create an alliance with the Borg because even if they negotiate a solution how can they trust the Borg to keep their agreement?

When Janeway tries to negotiate with the Borg they beam her onto the cube and she negotiates with them. Just as she is negotiating the new species attack the Borg and she is beamed onto her own ship.

Favorite part: When Janeway quotes Picard, and I liked the touching scene between Janeway and Chakotay when she tells him that three years ago she did not know his name and now she could not imagine life without him; the hand on his chest was very touching.

Least favorite part: When Janeway barked at Chakotay for offering different advice. She has always appreciated counter views and considered them carefully.

7. Guy Gardener

Picard would never use a word like evil or call the Borg evil unless it was in that mental period between Best of Both Worlds and First Contact... That's a really long period there son. Point is that he was unnaturally crazy in reference to the Borg then, and Janeway thought he was sane because she's crazy too.

The Borg are not evil.

To be Evil, you have to give a shit.

They're oblivious to the harm they are doing, but this a question of intent and motive.

Their intent is to help people, and their motive is to spread perfection.

They're no worse than any other fanatically religious missionaries.

Remember the Romans?

After they'd conquered your country, killing half of everyone you know, and you were lucky enough not to be a made a slave, if you didn't accept their gods, they would burn your village down and rape everyone in it... But the Borg are evil.

Even if Picard wasn't completely crazy, he could have been joking or trying to scare the cadets so that they would be suitably afraid not to be killed in their first engagement, and Janeway fell for it.

8. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just watched this episode the other day, and I found this a little odd as well. You'd think Janeway would be angry if he DIDN'T offer a different viewpoint or opinion about how they should proceed.

9. Guy Gardener

it was Chakotay who told B''Elanna to stop being disgruntled and accept that Captain knows best in the pilot.

That set the tone.

Chkotay and Tuvok say: "Dudeeeeeeee... Lets be pirates! We can kill everyone in our way and take what we want. Awesome?" And what was Kathryn's reaction? I'll (re?)read the Starfleet Charter to see if we can get away with being Klingons." And then she did! She spent hours looking for another justifiable loophole to be an asshole other than the one Ransom used.. HOURS!

10. Qutluch

Scorpion Part 2

Janeway is on the cube and has Tuvok come over to help. They have formed an alliance, tricky as it may be. The Borg tries to force a neural link onto Tuvok and Janeway in order to make them communicate more efficiently. Janeway threatens to back out of the agreement if they do that and she suggests that they choose a representative from the Borg to work with them and I finally meet 7 of 9!

Janeway tries to talk with 7 of 9, but she refuses to discuss anything that is not relevant to the creation of a weapon. The new aliens attack the cube, but Janeway, Tuvok, and a few Borg were beamed onto VOY before the cube was destroyed. Janeway was unfortunately injured and hands over her command to Chakotay with the insistence that he make the alliance with the Borg work in order to get the crew home. Eventually the other aliens….I forget their number designation….attack, a few Borg, Janeway, and Tuvok are beamed back onto VOY and the cube destroys the alien ship and itself in the process in order to keep the weapon that VOY is creating safe.

Based on a few discussions with the Borg they figure out that the Borg started the war, not the other species. However, Janeway still wants to keep her peace with the Borg and tells Chakotay to stay the course (when she was in sickbay after being injured in the previous attack). Chakotay disagrees with Janeway’s decision and after the Borg demand he turn back, five days into Borg space, and meet with another cube he takes his own course of action and decides to leave the Borg at the next planet they encounter. In the meantime, Janeway miraculously gets better and awakens with perfect hair and makeup. Janeway and Chakotay have a bit of a disagreement and their discussion is left off unsettled.

Janeway meets with 7 of 9 again and tells her that she put Chakotay in the brig for his disobedience...(at this point I thought one of three things: 1. Somehow Janeway was corrupted by the Borg and that may have led to her increased brain trauma, 2. Her and Chakotay were plotting, or 3. She did not really put him in the brig, but had him stay in his quarters in order to appease the Borg and make it look like she was punishing him).

In the end, 7 of 9 is left on the ship by herself and she tries to assimilate the ship and Janeway tells Chakotay the word Scorpion through the com link and their back up plan goes into effect. Chakotay links with 7 of 9 and tries to convince her that she was once human and that her humanity is still there. It is just a decoy to stall her until B’Elanna has a chance to overload her circuits and separate her link from the rest of the Borg.

Favorite parts: I appreciate it that Janeway and Chakotay finished the 2-part episode by banning together. I did not like it when she barked at him in the previous episode for having a different idea. I also decided I ultimately like the title (even though I loathe, and I mean loathe, scorpions). The parable Chakotay offered was actually quite significant. I enjoy that aspect of his character. He does not share his Native American history and background often, but when he does it really is quite insightful and relevant to the episode. I am happy to see a new crew member too!

(Possible) Least favorite part: I know people love 7 of 9, but I am concerned that they have started her character with extreme limits. She has spent more time as a Borg than a human, and I feel like it is going to be a long road to recovery, and I question whether she will even be able to cope with her human emotions and instincts as her human physiology takes over. I just hope that her personality is not too limited, and that she does not bounce back too quickly, which I feel would probably be unrealistic.

11. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, I don't think I'm doing a spoiler number by assuring you that TPTB will give 7/9 A LOT of space to "cope with her human emotions and instincts as her human physiology takes over."

Welcome to Season 4!!

12. Qutluch

Great to hear it! I am really looking forward to this Season!

13. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, the parable is of West African or European origin, not Native American.

So he was not sharing his Native American background.

14. Guy Gardener

His tribe could have briefly conquered Africa during world war 3 when all the superpowers were in complete disarray from multiple nukings?

15. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The real problem is that the writers didn't give a shit about actual Native American culture (starting with the Maori facial markings ...). They seemed to think that all they needed to do is make Beltran look soulful and spout some Hallmarkian inanity, and it would sell. ("Dances With Aliens", anyone?)

16. teacake

At this point it all becomes my most adored Trek.

17. teacake

:guffaw:

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My only issue with Displaced is that it took them way too long to suspect that the aliens, perhaps, were intentionally trying to replace their crew. It seems like any competent captain's first assumption.

Don't worry about 7 of 9, she's one of the things the series got right.

It's pretty clear the writers did not do any actual research about Native Americans.

19. teacake

I think it is so sweet she is worrying about 7 of 9, my favorite ever Trek character.. :adore:

Well to be fair there was no google in those days.

20. Guy Gardener

All they needed to say was "Hey Rob!? Do you want a writing credit? tell us about yourself?"

IndoMexican... "My people were building cities of gold when your lot were Roman slaves."