Been to a convention? You can really help me.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Trek_researcher, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Trek_researcher

Trek_researcher Cadet Newbie

Hi,

I'm a psychologist (and Trekkie/Trekker) and I'm conducting a study on involvement in fandoms and need people to take my survey. The survey takes about 15 minutes but you must have attended a Star Trek convention!

Here is an announcement of my survey http://imgur.com/uwpaQI2

and here is the link you can go to to take the survey www.surveymonkey.com/s/Star-Trek

Doing so would really help me out and also help some interesting research on what it means to be a fan.

Also, you could forward my message to other people who make want to take the survey. That would also help.

Thanks!

Best wishes,

Bill

2. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Limited to US residents/former residents? Then you, sir, have no idea what the sense of community in the global Star Trek fandom really is. Star Trek is all about looking outward, not inward, and cooperating with other cultures. Fan communities mirror that.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I've been to about 15 cons but none in the US.

4. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

So some of the questions are indeed about Trek fandom, but the rest are about attitudes toward the US government. Not exactly what I thought I'd agreed to talk about! I'll bet I'm not the only one who chose to exit without completing the survey.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah, I answered down the middle for those. It's one thing to have a few political questions that are pertinent to the topic at hand, but this survey dug right into it for the second half of the questions, asking very leading questions. Explaining something like that beforehand would be wise.

6. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

What Jim said. Been to at least 15 conventions over the last few years.

7. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I've worked on about 20 conventions over the years (including chairing two and doing multiple duty on two Worldcons), and attended probably close to 50 more, but if you don't want input from non-Americans, oh, well. *shrug*

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Snubbed! I tells ya.

9. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've been to over 10,000 conventions, and co-authored a book with William Shatner entitled What it Means To Be a Star Trek Fan: A Guide for Psychologists & Researchers.

But alas, I'm English :(

10. Ashu

Ashu Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty much. Glad i got everyones feedback before i clicked on the survey. Too bad too considering i've been going to ones up here fairly regularly myself

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

yet another questionaire with a question about the big lebowski. weird.

also i'm now a retired, widowed, papua new guinean communist that strongly disagrees with everything.