Which Topic Should Have Been Explored Further

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by dub, Jul 9, 2013.

?

Which topic should have been explored further?

1. Kasidy Working/Smuggling for the Maquis

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Alexander as a Klingon Warrior

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Undercover Changelings in the Alpha Quadrant

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Exploration of the Gamma Quadrant

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Benny Russell visions

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. The Orbs

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. The Maquis

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. The Vorta

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  9. Terok Nor backstory

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There were lots of threads started in DS9, some of which were never fully explored. Of these topics, which would you have enjoyed seeing more development throughout the series?

• Kasidy Working/Smuggling for the Maquis - when this idea was introduced in "For the Cause," I thought it would have been interesting to continue this idea as the series continued. Is Kasidy using Sisko in some way? Is she actually a member of the Maquis? What else is she hiding? Those sorts of things.
    • Alexander as a Klingon Warrior - I loved that this made Worf uncomfortable. I wanted to see Alexander participating in actual battles, perhaps even coming close to death or actually dying in battle at some point. The tension between those two was great and I wanted to see more.
    • Undercover Changelings in the Alpha Quadrant - This was probably the most scary idea in DS9 to me. Anybody could be a changeling. They explored this idea for awhile, then it went away and we mostly just saw the female changeling for the rest of the series.
    • Exploration of the Gamma Quadrant - I know DS9 wasn't supposed to be a show about exploration, but with the wormhole right there and the Dominion dominating that quadrant, how fascinating would it have been to explore more worlds or encounter even more aliens on the other side of the wormhole?
    • Benny Russell visions - It was so neat seeing the actors without their make-up and playing different roles in these visions. I loved what they did with this in the last season.
    • The Orbs - There was very little mention of specific orbs or finding the orbs after the early seasons. There could have been a lot of interesting episodes surrounding the location of the other orbs, capturing the orbs, perhaps being bought and sold, used for power, etc.
    • The Maquis - They were the focus of a few episodes mid-series, but what happened to them during the Dominion War? How do they feel about the Dominion, especially after things start looking bad for Cardassia?
    • The Vorta - I find them interesting, but I'd like to see their home world, what is the cloning process, what is their culture like, how do they worship the founders on their home world (or is that just something the clones are genetically programmed to do)?
    • Terok Nor backstory - I loved these episodes. Seeing Odo, Dukat and even Quark in their past lives. It would have been interesting seeing the station built, Dukat taking over, what happened when Cardassians had to give up the station, etc.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Weren't the Maquis more or less wiped out when the Cardassians joined the Dominion?

3. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The writers hinted at this by having various characters (Bashir, Martok, Lovok) be replaced by Changelings throughout the series later seasons. I always thought it would have been interesting if one of the Founders had rebelled against his own people, perhaps desiring to establish order through peaceful means instead of military conquest.

Part of me wishes that the Dominion War had happened on two fronts, with some of the action happening in the Gamma Quadrant. This would have allowed for some exploration even as the war storyline was moved along.

As far as I know, the Maquis were wiped out by the Dominion shortly after they came into the Alpha Quadrant. Aside from a few small cells, they weren't a factor in the Dominion War at all. "Blaze of Glory" was their finale, more or less. We learned later that their organization crumbled due to raids by the Jem'Hadar.

There is a novel trilogy that deals with this. I've never read the books, but they give a lot of information about how Terok Nor came to be and how it's occupants factored into the Occupation.

--Sran

4. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

I would say Exploration of the Gamma Quadrant. Not in a alien of the week fashion but as in explore the dominion more and the other races that make it up and what makes it tick and is the dominion fighting any other wars in the gamma quadrent? Could thagt be why they did not instantly poor through the Wormhole after the romulan and cardassian attack and instead focus on destabilising the Alpha/Beta quadrant power first?

Could have fit the borg in there as like the federation there is a good chance the dominion is under periodic attack.

The others seem good....except the benny russel one.....please I had enough of him any more and it would have ruined my fav Startrek series.

5. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

It would be nice to see if he became a warrior like his father was in TNG season 1, something like that.

6. dub

Thanks! Sorry, my memory was fuzzy on that.

7. dub

(by the way, some interesting additional ideas there, Sran!)

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

It was an interesting story, one they could have built up for an episode or two prior to the reveal--to help show a little bit more conflict for Kasidy in what she is doing.

With Worf and then Martok about there was more than enough Klingon honour and warriors. It would have been nice to see Alexander again, but have him fallen from grace, so he is now just a civilian and has to find his true path in life.

Once the war started there really wasn't any need for sneaking around, the Dominion was cocky enough to think it could win swiftly. I do admit the idea of Changelings being anyone was pretty cool, especially when Bashir was revealed to be one.

They had their moments of exploration, but as a station people came to them. It would have been nice to see more GQ races coming to the station, especially with the Dominion being such a huge presence.

Interesting in small doses, any more than what we got and it would have become very tired very quickly (it'd be the kind of dead horse VOY would beat until there was nothing left, but of course the focus would be on Seven).

I've always wondered what all the Orbs were, there are nine of them and we only ever learned of at most 5/6. I actually liked the religious element of DS9, adding a spiritual side to Trek and showing just how dangerous it could be when taken to extremes.

The Maquis was all but wiped out by the Dominion, but there would have been a few rogue elements left, which could have been fun to play with. I do think DS9 used the Maquis better in their few episodes than VOY did in its entire series.

I got the impression that the Vorta's worship of the Founders was bred into them during the cloning process, it'd be one definite way of ensuring their obedience. They were a interesting race that got some good development, though I suspect that without Weyoun that might never have happened.

This is the one I voted for. I love the backstory of the station and the Occupation, seeing just what the Cardassians are really like and what the Bajorans had to do in order to survive. It was also good to see familiar characters in a different time of their lives and how they went about their lives before S1.

9. LiLiKitty

LiLiKitty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I admit, I liked Alexander the Klingon Warrior, and I wish we got to see more of him. He had the potential to show an interesting and unique viewpoint on Klingon life. In my imagination, Alexander went on to become a bard. He seemed to enjoy telling stories, and it would be a safe occupation for him!

10. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

I voted for the Alexander one because i would have liked to see more on how his relationship with his father developed and how he coped with being part of the house of Martok maybe getting mentored a bit by Martok when Worf wasnt around because i think Alexander would be more receptive to Martok trying to teach him klingon ways than to Worf. There are too many issues with Worf.

Truthfully the plot thread that i think should have been developed more was the Kira/O'Brien surrogacy. Imho the surrogacy plot was never fully explored there was so much they could have done but didnt and it mostly existed as a background subplot usually comical.

11. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Exploration of the Gamma Quadrant...possibly the parts that aren't under Dominion control.

12. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I'd like to know more about the orbs, and how they work. I also wish we got to know more about the origin of the wormhole aliens/prophets, how and why they constructed the wormhole, where they lived before that, what their obsession with Bajor is all about.

13. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

As the Prophets are non-linear, it's likely they've always existed in the Celestial Temple. Why the Temple manifests as a wormhole for the purposes of interacting with our universe isn't clear, but there's no reason to believe the Prophets would have lived anywhere else. They're non-corporeal entities, so normal rules of existence don't apply to them.

As for how the orbs work, that depends partly on what each orb is designed to do. That they're each encased in a weird box doesn't mean that they can be manipulated or used in the same way by whomever is accessing them.

--Sran

14. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

It was definitely stated in "Emissary" and "In the Hands of the Prophets" that the wormhole was artificially constructed, so I don't see that it could be their natural habitat, so there must have been a place they lived before - at least as far as what "before" means to a human.

They are able to perceive time, just in a non-linear way, so I guess instead of asking them "where did you live before," I'd ask "where else do you exist?"

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was the closest thing to what I wanted explored, so I picked the Orbs. I wanted to see more stuff like the Circle Trilogy. Granted, when the Dominion came, things got kicked up a notch, but it was regrettable that we never had a conclusion to whether or not Bajor would join the Federation. Also, when did the Provisional Government not become so provisional? We had Coups, an opportunist Kai, and a leader of famous resistance cell become First minister. I guess what I want to know is given all the upheval after the Occupation and the events of the Circle Trilogy, when did Bajor become Peaceful and "organized"?

16. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Definitely exploration of the Gamma Quadrant as that vanished utterly after the first batch of seasons.

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I would have liked Alexander better if he found some balance between Klingon desire to be a warrior and the peaceful desires he learned from his mother. Maybe something that suggested the events in the future of Firstborn, only with some twist that helped him avoid his original mistake.

Alexander didn't have the skillset to be a warrior so he could have also found some other skillset that could be useful to warriors. Like, if DS9 hadn't established him to be a bumbling moron he could have been a competent medic or engineer who was berated for being terrible at combat.

Or they could have, I dunno, not jumped him in age from 8 to 14 and included him in some other way in the story that was not making him a bumbling idiot.

18. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

Well you have to admit there was plenty of reason to stay out of the GQ. The Dominion were established as a threat early in season 2, even if it was just vague rumors you have to think Starfleet would want to be cautious, even at that point. Then obviously all hell broke loose at the end of season 2.

19. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree it made perfect storytelling sense, I'd just have liked to have seen more of it.

20. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

As far as a plot line that was kind of abandoned. They just left Kai Opaka on that planet in the Gamma Quadrant. That is something that could have been revisted a couple of times, in any number of ways.

It also would've been nice to see a scene or two with Rom as the Grand Nagus; or at least a few lines addressing the fallout of it.