Sayings that you hate now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

The reusable bags I have can be thrown in the wash. I love them.

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Over here we're rather environmental (need to as we have hardly any resources). Free plastic bags are an endangered species nowadays. Usually, plastic bags cost 15-60 cents a piece, depending on size and store. Sadly, paper bags are rare; they cost 15 to 30 cents but are much bigger and sturdier than the plastic ones. Most shops have cotton bags that cost 75 ct - $1.25 Their quality differs widely from veil-thin to suitable for carrying an elephant.
    People who come by car often bring foldable plastic boxes that fit in the trunk.

Btw, here you are supposed to pack your stuff yourself. And quickly, because the rest of the queue is impatient and the lady at the cashier mercilessly shoves the next customer's stuff over the scanner into your heap.

3. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    In Hong Kong they used to use plastic bags, but in 2008 supermarkets introduced 0.50 $ for a plastic bag to encourage people to use their own, fabric bags. It worked. Most of people use their own bags and those who forgot to bring theirs, often prefer to carry all their groceries in their arms than paying 50 cents :lol:

HK is so tiny we just ran out of space to throw out all those used plastic bags :lol:

4. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Anyone tries that on me, they'd get an earful about visually impaired customers not being able to pack so fast as other people... and if they argue, the manager gets summoned. Fast. :p

5. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I take my reusable bags about half the time and get plastic the other half, to have enough for cat litter and other trash.

6. rhubarbodendron

My hamster's litter goes into a paper bag. Fortunately, I have a very emancipated hamster. When he considers it time for a thorough cleanup (about every fortnight), he piles all his litter up to a heap in the corner of his cage and then shoves it out. I just have to put a waste basket at the respective corner in the evening and sweep up the floor (the hamster is somewhat vigorous and has a bad aim) and put new litter into the cage the next morning.

7. Tora Ziyal

^ :lol: That's great! I wish I could teach my cats to change their own litter box.

8. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Re. Carrier bags: By breakfast time this morning I noticed that my bread had gone stale and that I had no butter... Oh well, on with the winter clothes and down the street to the bakery after a loaf of bread.

The thing is: my local bakery is actually a cafĂ© that just happens to also sell freshly baked bread - so they had no butter [​IMG] I then continued to the nearest shop that had butter. - And into the next-door shop, now that I was in the vicinity, for a few things for lunch.
    On my way home I saw some half-finger gloves (which I'd been on the look-out for)...

Three shops and three times I was offered plastic bags to carry my few items - but in the last shop I was asked if I wanted to buy a bag and had to respond with a: "With each shop I'm exiting today it's getting more and more difficult to do without a bag, but no thanks, I'll manage" -which actually made the cashier laugh out loud! -having put down several items, I had just bought elsewhere, on her desk before I could dig out my wallet in order to pay for those gloves, and at the time picking them up again, I suppose she did have something to laugh at...[​IMG]

9. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

On the subject of plastic bags, when my retail job of a few months back went down the toilet (along with every other job with that company and the company itself), the manager invited us to liberate whatever spare supplies were left after the end. I carried off a box full of plastic bags, and so now have several hundred of them stored neatly. I am the plastic bag baron. I am the king of plastic bags. I will gladly offer the needy a plastic bag or two, assuming they meet my unreasonable price!

10. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, normally I'm a paper or reusable bag person; but I do get the plastic because hubs insists on using it for the cat litter. Even though we have a litter genie, he refuses to use the damn thing because he says it sucks. I say it works just fine.

11. rhubarbodendron

If they are from a no longer existing company they'll soon get rarity value. In 100 years you could make a fortune from them! :D

12. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Hmm, I've never heard of Litter Genie before. I'm intrigued!

13. Tora Ziyal

Not a saying, but the misuse of a perfectly good word: literally. I am reminded of this by the ad I keep seeing on here for a t-shirt that says, "Misuse of 'literally' makes me figuratively insane." Amen! :devil:

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I've heard it used literally billions of times and it drives me nuts! :p

15. Tora Ziyal

^ I'm impressed that you're able to count that high. :p

16. Silvercrest

It automatically becomes "billions" after I run out of fingers and toes.

17. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I just thought of one.

I can't stand it when someone does something like shaving half of their hair, and dyeing the rest a variety of colors, then rationalizes it by saying "Do it once in your life", meaning it's okay to do stupid or crazy things if it's only once, no matter what it is because you live once.

Before you say that you never seen that happen, the freshmen class at my university dyes their hair (it was usually bleaching or dyeing one color in my undergrad days, but more radical these days) and wears it for several weeks until "bald day", when they shave their hair. Every spring, the university is full of 18-19 year old bald female co-eds. Neither I or my wife had done that, though the wife dyed her hair blond.

18. Tora Ziyal

^I see the problem with the saying itself, because one could use it to justify really dangerous things. But your hair example is totally harmless.

19. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

By itself, yes. However, I've seen parents or prospective students decide against going there because of that, thus depriving them of a full language-accessible learning environment that many of them may not find elsewhere.

20. Silvercrest

So, if they do it multiple times, it's okay...?

:p:p:p