Neverending Story remake

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Norrin Radd, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

2. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

I love the book as well as Wolfgang Peterson's 1984 film adaption, hell I own the crap DVD. That said for once I wouldn't mind somebody else taking a shot at it as the 1984 version only liberaly adapts only the first half of the novel. A more direct adaptation would be my preferance this time around.

3. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Only if Limahl does the theme song again. :bolian:

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a miniseries or something too, but I never saw it. I love the first two movies and would be interested in this.

5. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

kill it with fire. some books arent meant to be made into movies.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

I thought the movie was at least as good as the book. Unlike many childrens' fantasy flicks, the film had heart and was actually quite disturbing in some places.

7. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is nothing sacred anymore?

I'd rather see Legend II. I always thought Legend should be an anthology fantasy film series...

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

It's a neverending story of suck for them, isn't it?

9. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always liked Neverending Story and even the second movie. But yeah it would be kinda neat to see it redone with more modern effects, and maybe tell more of the story from the book. Even if they did it in a 2 or 3 movie plan, it could work. Given the current crop of fantasy movies and 80s nostalgia, it could do very well. Sure many will still say the original was great as is, but as long as they don't Tim Burton it like they did Charlie and Chocolate Factory.

10. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

While I don't loathe the idea, I confess it makes me more uneasy than happy. The first movie is just so perfect in my child's nostalgic heart. I really hated the second one, and avoided the third with all diligence. I did like the book when I read it, but always preferred the movie's simplified treatment and more sympathetic Bastian.

I wouldn't dismiss a remake out of hand, but they'd have to do something pretty amazing with the source material to convince me it's worth the trouble.

11. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

This makes me a saaaaaaaaaaaaaad luck dragon. :(

12. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great. I also want Legend and Goonies remake.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have no idea how that post got in this thread..

14. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I've suggested this idea more than once, and many fans don't seem to like it. :p I enjoy the original movie as much as anyone else who grew up in the '80s, and it's certainly the best adaptation to date (the sequels don't count for me), but it is still only half the story. I'd kind of enjoy a director like Peter Jackson, whose work on LOTR is far superior than the more truncated versions that were made in the '70s and '80s. And that's a far tougher set of films to accomplish than NES.

15. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

No! No! No! Leave it alone!

That goes for Legend as well.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've often had thoughts about a Neverending Story remake but disregarded quickly. I took a crack at a story treatment for a Neverending Story Part IV where Bastian's kids find the book inside of their house's attic and the adventure continues but never got very far past the beginning.

17. ancientone51

ancientone51 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved the first one, enjoyed the second, (best "reset" line ever) had no idea there was a third...and must find the book.

New version? I would give it a chance, but it would have to be brilliant to make me like it above the first two.

18. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

There's a review of the third on Agony Booth. But trust me, that's as close as you should get to it. ;) Personally I'd love to see a book-accurate Southern Oracle, as she'd be one of the easiest creatures to do. :D

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The Third is awful. Jack Black is the villain. He plays an angsty, punk rock teenager. And it takes place in the real world, not Fantasia. They spend most of the movie trying to keep the Rock Baby hidden from the grown-ups.

20. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

...and, in one scene, the Rock Biter and "Junior" are riding through Fantasia while the Rock Biter sings "Born to be Wild." I'm not kidding. :wtf: