Fanboys: I can't believe it took me this long

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Neroon, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

... to actually see this film. Our cable service has provided a free weekend for HBO, Showtime and Cinemax, and this was one of the films they were showing. So I recorded it. And watched. And thoroughly loved it!!! It blends some great satire, hilarious jokes and wonderful pieces of poignance and pathos. It has William Shatner as a mole, Kristen Bell looking wonderful and excellent Rush references! What's not to enjoy? :lol:

Maybe it's because I still tend to bristle a bit at the ridicule heaped unnecessarily on geeks like myself. Honestly, I don't really care all that much... but it does get annoying at times. To be sure, plenty of geek behavior really is ridiculous and deserves to be mocked. However.... perhaps it's the effect of the movie, but heck.... I find a great deal of the positives society holds dear in that culture.

Oscar material it is not, but.... it's a fun film, excellent for just sitting back and wasting a couple of hours.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

It's a great film for geeks like us :techman: I would love a Star Trek version of the film based around the latest 2009 re-boot movie.

3. Neroon

Trekkies don't come off terribly well in it, that's for sure, and that kinda bugs me... but not too much. And the whole virgin joke angle does get tiring, but overall I found myself laughing quite a bit at the teasing which was good-natured ala "Galaxy Quest".

ETA: Incidentally, anybody know what the song is played over the scene of Linus watching the film is? The acoustic guitar one?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Fanboys" is a great film that I think captures the spirit of what it is like of being a fan while pokes fun at it at the same time. As for the Trekkie rivalry stuff...I wasn't offended because I've never really believed that there is a true divide between the two fandoms, maybe there is among the fanatics but I love both franchises. Plus "Fanboys" has Kristen Bell! My favorite part of the movie is when they infiltrate Skywalker Ranch and are interrogated by Danny McBride's character!

5. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Yeah, I thought it was a lot of fun. And I'm pretty sure those Trekkies post here.

6. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Fun movie, I love the cameos. Everyone from Harry Knowles as himself to Ray Park as a Lucas guard.

7. Admiral_Young

Actually Harry Knowles is actually Ethan Slurpee. The cameos were fun.

8. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

The only part of that movie I've seen was the brawl between the Fanboys and Trekkies, which was hilarious.

"Han Solo's a bitch!" :guffaw:

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, fun movie. I do think that it's not just for Star Wars fans, but encapsulates the fan in all of us whatever the franchise. I found some bits particularly inspired. I actually found the fact that they were so excited about seeing it didn't detract from the movie at all. I felt that's what added to the charm.

10. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a nice movie, but the humor was too shallow for my taste and if you watch the trailer you've already seen most of the scenes that make it worth watching.

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

If it had come out when it was intended, I'm sure it would have been fine - but years of waiting for the film generated a level of expectation which the film couldn't match.

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't that great either.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

i think it's nice that they let ray speak.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I forgot to add something in my earlier post...

Kristen Bell FTW :drool:

14. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I ended up not really caring for this one. It seemed like such a clever idea, and it has a good cast (having Kristen Bell on board is always a win), but it just never really comes together. Meh.

15. Owain Taggart

You mean like the movie they were waiting so long for? :lol:

16. Neroon

Then I'm glad I missed all of the hype=, because that allowed me to really get a kick out of it. The jokes, the cameos, the liberal use of quotes, Kristin Bell. We had a thoroughly fun time watching it.

17. Owain Taggart

Yep, same here. I swear, it's hard to avoid hype on the internet these days. There are too many trailers and details and the magic of not knowing anything before a movie is out is lost. But avoiding it all allows for a greater appreciation. It's hard, but it's doable. I'm currently doing it with Tron: Legacy. I've only seen the teaser trailer. Last time I did this, it was Star Trek 09.

18. Admiral_Young

It's almost impossible to avoid/create hype regarding various movies now. The internet has allowed everyone to voice their opinion and their interest level in projects even before a frame is shot. I've done with it enough projects myself. The thing with "Fanboys" though is that it's hype was really created through the objected re-shoots to the film that removed the cancer storyline. Plus people who saw the original screenings were raving about the film as well.

19. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I tried watching it a few months ago. Stopped after 30 minutes, as I was getting annoyed at the anti-trek view. Might give it a try tonight, as there is nothing on after Glee.

20. Admiral_Young

Really? The anti-Trek thing was part of the cliche of being a Star Wars, same with the parody of the Trekkies being anti-Star Wars. I'm surprised that people were bothered with it. I thought it was hilarious.