"Do you believe in aliens"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Deimos Anomaly, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

If so, wont they just go where the Earthlings keep saying they want to go? "Bang, zoom, straight to the moon!"

2. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

The nearest solar system with planets is 10 light years away though, so that's not saying much to say that anything passing with 60 light years would pick us up.

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

True. Although that distance will of course increase with time. Can't predict how weak our signals would have to get before they couldn't be distinguished from background noise, though.....

4. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am certainly not going to say that I know for sure that there is life on other planets. Nor am I going to say that there isn't. I simply don't know one way or the other, and until I have proof, I'm just going to stick with that. It's the same approach I take to the notion of God.

I will say, though, that given the immense size and complexity of the universe, I'm inclined to think that there is a very strong chance that there are other intelligent species out there. If there isn't, that would be disappointing... and an awful waste of space.

Do you mind if I ask why? Do you think the existence of aliens will conflict with your strong Christian beliefs in some way?

Just curious.

5. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

Yeah, but I can't even get the new digital signal from a half hour away if there's a wind storm.

So I imagine they're going to think we died out around last year some time. :p
    Maybe they'll learn from our mistakes and never develop reality TV

6. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good luck getting the funding for your space army ;).

7. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't really know. I certainly don't think I will see contact with intelligent aliens in my lifetime. And, yeah, people who say they are "sure" are certainly shooting on par with religious faith. Whose to say an angel or spiritual dimension isn't just as likely? I think it's funny when pro-alien people get all emotional and offended when you suggest their "belief" is as far-fetched as the religions that they mock.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Trekker, not getting sucked back into this argument again.

9. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Annoying or not, there's a significant chance of another earth-like world that's developed a parallel, technologically-equal or technologically-superior set of beings. I have to believe that there's more to the Milky Way than us, beings that have screwed the pooch as significantly as we have, & possibly learned from it (or not.) I have to believe that one day the Governments of our world will allow us to know The Truth. That we've had beings from underground or deep beneath our own oceans or from a relatively-nearby earth-like world aware of us for centuries, trying to find out how to better themselves, protect themselves from us or something more along the lines of M.I.B. with Will Smith & Rip Torn.

10. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Given the fuckers have been harvesting my organs for the past decade or so, then yes.

11. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aliens are everywhere on Earth. In fact aliens are so common there are only about two actual Humans on the planet.

They're hairy, have big feet and are known as Mr & Mrs Sasquatch.

12. The Sneeze Police

The Sneeze Police Captain Captain

Yep, I believe that there is life elsewhere other than on Earth.

I do not believe that aliens have visited Earth.

13. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

Given the sheer scale of the universe, I think find it impossible to believe that life has not evolved elsewhere. Intelligent life? Almost certainly. Will we ever meet/hear from them? Highly unlikely.

14. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

The key to "communication" with aliens, either with us detecting them or vice versa is less about the content of the message and more about looking for artificial radio transmissions, which, if you know what to look for, stand out like a sore thumb. A broadcast of Happy Days 'looks' very different to background radio noise, even if the actual content has degraded beyond retrievability (and, in the case of Happy Days, probably for the best if we want the aliens to bother replying ;) ) the repeating, ordered nature of the signal may still send up red flags with a passing alien.

15. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Use of "believe in" irks me too be it about this topic or something like evolution.

A remarkable number of things are "just right" on Earth, any one of which would make life impossible. However, with some 100+ billion galaxies each with 200+ billion stars each, it's rather unlikely we're the only ones with air, water and just the right amount of sunshine. I remember reading somewhere that there's a mathematical probability of 1 million 'earth like' planets in the Milky Way alone.

16. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

That gives me an idea to write a movie or TV show about some sort of space vehicle that visits other earth-like planets.

I shall call it "Wagontrain To The Stars"!

17. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Brilliant!

18. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Exactly. The simple fact we are here lends credence to there
    being other life out there. Even if it's so far away we never encounter
    them in Human existance, they must still exist somewhere out there.

But I do believe they've been and are here.

19. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I figure by the time any signals are picked up from Earth it will be thousands of years from now. We are one tiny little planet in the middle of nowhere. For all we know aliens might live on the opposite end of the galaxay and we are the only life in this part of the galaxy so it would take million of years for our signals to reach across.

Even if some alien race does pick them up, they might not have the technology to respond or fly to us.

Here is a question that I have: How did aliens evolve so fast if they exist. I am assuming everybody started off on an equal footing at the beginning of time. The universe was formed and then life began on different planets.

How did one life form evolve to the point where they are able to bridge the interstellar void? Did they have supergenes emplaced in their DNA when they started rising from the goo of their planet?

I personally believe God created all life, but I would like to think He made other life out there also.

20. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Well if evolution is the theory, it could have simply started earlier elsewhere.

Simple as that. :vulcan:

Different Galaxies, and solar systems and planets form at different times.
    The right circumstance come along at different times due to star type,
    collisions with the planet etc etc.

It's very plausible that many other races evolved and advanced beyond us
    before us. It's also just as possible we are more advanced than some or about
    the same.