The Pope

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Deranged Nasat, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Your timing codn't be better. I went out to dinner with a friend, and we both haddock fish. ;)

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Was it salmon chanted evening?

At least you didn't spend the whole night downloading prawn from the net.

3. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you for the correction. Indeed, I was thinking of Peter and typing Paul. Such a slip, however, does not invalidate the principles of the argument... or the definition of a martyr.

Paul had much to write about the requirements of a bishop/pastor. One of the requirements is to be the husband of one wife. Priests do not meet the requirement, because the Catholic Church forbids them to marry. [1 Timothy 3:2]

Jesus himself said, "And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." [Matthew 23:9] Yet Catholic priests are titled Father so-and-so.

I have never understood these incongruities which are clearly outlined in the New Testament. That and grown men wearing dresses and being denied the option to "be fruitful and multiply" were deal-breakers to a young me. [Of course, once I finally came to terms with being gay... all bets were off anyway!:alienblush:]

4. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok I'm hooked....

5. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

The Pope will retain his name, assume the title "Pope Emeritus" and be styled as "His Holiness, Benedict XVI". He'll also keep the white papal garb with the exception of the cape and red shoes.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

7. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

He will just fade away. Despite all his other screw ups, that's who he really is.

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Reelly now, don't you think we oyster stop the fishy puns?

9. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

As a Catholic, I actually look sideways at people who hate on gays and people who are different. Why? JESUS HIMSELF SAID "Love one another as I love you."

God is LOVE. God loves all of His creations, so it's so contradictory to see a person of God hating on gay people.

I personally am not a fan of abortion, but I won't go picketing. I myself wouldn't abort a baby if I got pregnant, but I won't condemn women who do because they're probably in a bad place in life and they need LOVE and understanding, not hate and rejection.

I hope the new pope is a little less tightassed about gay rights and condoms.

10. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

We all know he will miss the shoes most.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely not. Go tell all of your friends and family. You can start with your uncles and anchovy.
    (okay, now that one was reaching, just a bit :lol: )

12. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

But you contradict yourself. Rejecting (as in condemning) a person who does something someone might find immoral is wrong because they need "love and understanding", but rejecting (as in, denying all responsibility for and actively killing) the developing baby is somehow okay? Why are we allowed to reject the foetus? I thought we were to love all of God's creations? The developing baby isn't one of God's creations, then? If it is contradictory for a person of God to hate homosexuals, because, as you argue, this violates the concept of all God's creations deserving love, is it not contradictory for a person of God to condone the destruction of, and deny all empathy or care for, one of God's creations, as you do here?

I'm genuinely curious; how do you reconcile this illogic?

13. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alas, I think this is unlikely, as much as I wish it were so.

The Catholic Church's biggest following right now is in Africa, and several of the top candidates for the White Dress and Red Pumps are from African churches, which as a general rule hold to the "traditional" (read: dark ages) opinions on such matters even more fiercely than European Catholics.

Meanwhile, if the church were to choose another European pope to lead the show (jazz hands!) in an attempt to appear less draconian, they offend where their largest remaining power base is.

14. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

A new pope has an opportunity to correct Ratzingers biggest mistake. By which I mean, failing to take the name George-Ringo.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

... Love 'em all, let God sort 'em out?

_C_ doesn't sound likely to become an abortionist herself, so she indicates that other women's decisions aren't her business. Sounds good to moi...

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

^ Indeed.

To be fair, I don't think cross-examining religious folks who have reasonable, nuanced beliefs that understand that others might not share their personal moral code and are respectful and tolerant of that fact is really the way to go. C's stance seems like it should be the ideal, not something we should criticize as illogical. Knowing you, I know you are just curious and don't intend to sound that way, but it does come across as needlessly adversarial.

17. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, you're right, Locutus. Reading over it, I do come across as rather rudely aggressive there, and somewhat single-minded.

_C_, please accept my apology for the tone, and for any offence or hurt caused.

I've been in a bit of a terse mood all day, and it seems I let that colour my interactions with people here. I sort of dug my teeth in without cause there, and I apologise.

18. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

auf wiedersehen pope

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I want an African Pope, just to see how well Racism and Religion really holds together.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay I lol'd at the picture this gave me..