Star Trek V.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Mr. Scott, May 18, 2009.

1. Mr. Scott

Mr. Scott Commander

Howdy!

I am now watching Star Trek V, in my opinion the worst movie of the whole series, or a close second to Nemesis. William Shatner directed this turkey, a turkey as big as old Scotty's gut.

Star Trek V is so bad on so many levels. The only good part of this film is when Kirk, Bones and Spock are out camping together. That's it.

However, the storyline was awful. Makeup and wardrobe was pitiful. For example, the Klingon skulls looks rubbery. The female Romulan ambassador on Nimbus III was such an awful actress who did not act anything like a Vulcan could act. She did not at all fit any other type of Romulan, from her hair, her clothes or her demeanor. The Uhura fan dance, the horses on Nimbus III. Attack of the three breasted cat-woman.

Sybok, what can I say? In the alternate Universe, someone needs to ask about Sybok and be told that he had a piano dropped on his head. I hate to admit it, but I loved the Klingons, because they were so stupid. The captain had the huge metal-band like hair.

Chinese Romulans, rubber faced Klingons, Grandma Uhura shaking her moneymaker, and Kirk, Bones and Spock acting all gay with each other.

Nemesis is the Star Trek V of the TNG series of films. Nemesis was so bad that Patrick Stewart was embarrassed of it. I would like to see it again, but remember being disappointed with it watching it the first time.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Your loss. I love the movie and can find a lot of wonderful moments to enjoy.

J.

3. Penhall99

Penhall99 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You started an entire thread just to bash Star Trek V?

Anyway, I disagree with everything you said. I like Star Trek V, always have and always will.

4. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like this movie, but less for what it is and more for what it could be - I've always considered it something of a near-miss. It has loads of potential, and lots of good moments, especially for Kirk, Spock and McCoy. But it's bogged down by some really awful humor, insufficient effects work and a weak climax. The story behind the making of this film is fascinating, with all kinds of budgetary issues, an inexperienced director, studio interference and even wardrobe thefts.

5. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

I love informative thread titles.

6. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

7. dave_R_treker

dave_R_treker Captain Captain

I wouldn't say it was an awful movie. But it wasn't a great one either. It had the potential to be a great trek movie.

8. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Brotherly love is gay?

These men have no families beyond each other. I see nothing 'gay' whatsoever about it.

Star Trek V really gets an unfair reputation and I'd daresay people who get off on bashing it are 'gay' in the same meaning as you seem to lend it.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

wow, thanks for that insightful review. must have took a lot of thought to say that you thought the characters were gay and you hated the movie.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

wow, thanks for that insightful review. must have took a lot of thought to say that you thought the characters were gay and you hated the movie.

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Mr. Scott, I'm only accepting this review at face value from you because at some point, you hit your head on a beam and apparently injured yourself.

Suffice to say, I disagree with nearly every statement you make (geez, everybody thinks the rom ambassador is awful), and I love STAR TREK V, warts & all.

12. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Quite possibly one of the best thread replies I've ever read.

I've not seen Star Trek V for a very long time. It'll probably be the first one I watch when my DVD box set arrives. From what I've read, it has some interesting concepts, and the score is lovely.

13. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will agree with the point that Star Trek V is a flawed film, that could have been better had some decisions been made differently with the production. Those issues have been discussed in a couple dozen other threads, so take your pick.
    That said, I personally liked it, flaws and all.
    I also found it an extremely relevant film socially, in how it deals with such issues as the dangers of blindly following a religion - or other leader, and what happens when one can be so blinded by his own ambition, to the exclusion of all else. (A theme that was later handled, but overlooked by many in Generations.)

14. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

Why not? There have been plenty of threads devoted to bashing Nemesis.

15. Penhall99

Another Trek movie that I enjoyed.... :)

16. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

I wonder why more people can't see the sense of this opinion.

To many it's ither 'horrible' or 'great'----it is neither. It is a missed oportunity with many great moments in a movie that is loaded with flaws of every kind.

Sorry, some great 'big 3' character moments don't redeem a bad movie--neither can those great moments be dismissed.

And i also believe a recut removing many of the awful comic bits and upgradinhg the FX could make this a movie i wouldn't be embarrassed to show a non Trek friend.

17. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As usual...blame Paramount for mucking it up with their stupid demands and poor sense of what makes a Trek movie great.

ANOTHER comedy right after Voyage Home was NOT the right move...obviously.

But the chimps in suits saw how much Voyage Home made and went...."UNGH! FUNNY! FUNNY MEAN MONEY, MAKE FUNNY MOVIE!" and proceeded to throw their crap at each other.

Not to mention a Writers' Strike which crippled the scriptwriting process...there was also a Teamsters' Strike, too.

Shatner could not have had worse luck.

18. Penhall99

Yeah, and thats the problem. Everything that could possibly go wrong with Star Trek V did: studio interference, budget cuts, writer's strike, and ILM being unavailable.

Not to mention the fact that Shatner actually approached Nicholas Meyer to pen the screenplay, but he couldn't work it into his schedule, an incompetent effects guy that took on a project he could not handle...

Its amazing that Trek V turned out as well as it did.

19. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Trek V is a film with flaws but I love it. It is a fun movie and has some great scenes and in some way reminds me a lot of the original movie. It is a very enjoyable film.

20. dHunter333

dHunter333 Lieutenant Red Shirt

star trek five was terrible
    laughable
    try showing a non trek fan that.........lol

its the bottom of my list, #11
    with nemesis right above it, insurrection right above it (sometimes i switch those 2)