Radio Times 'Best Doctor' Poll

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Nov 2, 2013.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seemed to let me vote as many times as I liked on my ipad.

3. theonering

theonering Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm 26 years old and not from the UK, so I'm hardly an authority on this. But it's kind of surprising to me that the next most popular Doctor after Tennant and Smith is McGann. Granted the demographics of the people actually voting in this pole are going to lean more towards the more recent generations of "Dr. Who" fans, but still. After all the hype I've heard about Baker I would have expected more people to have voted for him.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, it's letting me vote Paul McGann indefinitely.

5. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can click a button again but it actually says your vote was already counted.

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

David Tennant at 46% really surprises me. Considering how many doctors there are and the split in fandom regarding Doctors, I thought things would be a little more closer than that. I still voted for Eccleston though, who probably because of that one season and his refusal to be in the series again, is only getting 5%. I guess maybe as a new Doctor Who fan, I accept his reasons for not wanting to come back. He did a season, went to do other things, more power to him.

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Shhh! Don't tell them that! The thought of them clicking over and over, all for naught, is absolutely hilarious!

Mr Awe

8. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I clicked on Tom Baker about a billion times. That will teach them.

9. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

David Tennant?

Matt Smiths fans? There aren't that many. He's not that good a doctor. Even with him as the current doctor, he's still not particularly popular compared with many other doctors. Goodness knows how popular he'll be in a few years time. At the end of the day as far as doctors go, he's average if that.

10. Green Lantern

Here's my list of doctor for the record. ;)
    1) Tenth Doctor (David Tennant)
    2) Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann)
    3) Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston)
    4) Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker)
    5) Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton)
    6) Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison)
    7) Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee)
    8) Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker)
    9) Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy)
    10) Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith)
    11) First Doctor (William Hartnel)

Since I last did a doctor list, I've seen new stories which gave me reasons to place them higher, re-watched stories I haven't seen for many years which changed my opinion of certain Doctors, and my tastes in general may have changed a bit.

You may remember last time Jon Pertwee was in my bottom five but now he is much higher; mainly because since my last lists, I have watched and fell in love with Planet of Spiders, my appreciation of Three Doctors has gone up even more, and in general he isn't as bad as I thought. Peter Davison is higher too as I've fallen in love with Earthshock even more, and I've rediscovered some great stories I didn't used to think much of. Fourth Doctor is lower now as although I love a lot of his 80s series', I hate the E Space Trilogy, and I find a lot of his 70s stuff boring, he was a good doctor in it, but I didn't like how it was executed back then, something with the Pertwee era seems to do better. Note also I'd have placed Hartnel higher if I watched more of his stuff, but I barley know his era very well, only having six serials of his (Unearthly Child, The Daleks, Edge of Destruction, Dalek Invassion of Earth, Web Planet and Time Meddler). I watched the surviving episode of Celestial Toymaker and fell in love with it though, man I wish that was all complete as I could see it being a favourite. Also, I plan to get Tenth Planet for Christmas, so that should get me more familiar with his doctor. If I like that, hopefully I can place Smith at the bottom at last!!!!!!!! The only reason Smith isn't at the bottom is because I like a couple of his episodes, but I've seen the majority of his run and disliked it.

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's my list:

1. Patrick Troughton
    2. Tom Baker
    3. Matt Smith
    4. Paul McGann
    5. Peter Davison
    6. Sylvester McCoy
    7. Christopher Eccleston
    8. David Tennant
    9. Colin Baker
    10. William Hartnell
    11. Jon Pertwee

12. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've not seen any Hartnell serial, and have seen several from every other Doctors as well as listened to some audio stories, mostly from the Fifth and Eighth Doctor eras. And all of 9-11.

1) Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston)
    2) Tenth Doctor (David Tennant)
    3) Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker)
    4) Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton)
    5) Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison)
    6) Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann)
    7) Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith)
    8) Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy)
    9) Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee)
    10) Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker)
    11) First Doctor (William Hartnel)

13. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Matt Smith started superbly... but that's it. If he'd built on how well he started he might be an easy best by now, but as it is I'd put him just above the middle of the 11, good but not competing for first place ( Tom or Troughton) or even 2nd tier (Hartnell, Eccleston). He's in there with Davison, Tennant and McGann for me.

14. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

I think I've voted for Pertwee at least 3 times in that poll. I find it sad that people are posting in the comments section that they've seen 2 or 3 of the 11 Doctors and voting nonetheless, they're hardly in a position to vote for the best Doctor. Tennant the best Doctor?, not in my book.

Jon Pertwee
    Peter Davison
    Matt Smith
    Paul McGann
    Patrick Troughton
    Tom Baker
    Christopher Eccleston
    David Tennant
    Sylvester McCoy
    Colin Baker
    William Hartnell

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've only seen the new series, but my rankings would be:

Eccleston - I loved his seriousness, and his playfulness at the same time. This was really spotlighted in episodes like Dalek and the Season finale

Tennant - He was just fun, and the more he was around the more I really liked him.

Smith - He's like Tennant, but lately I've actually found him a little annoying. Also, there are times when I can't understand him.

16. Green Lantern

Yeah, if they followed the route series 5 led and even the first two episodes of series 6 led, Smith would be much higher in my lists. Usually, a doctors first series is my least favourite (this goes especially for Tennant who I didn't like until late series 2, took me a while to place him above Eccleston. Not so keen on Pertwee's first either, prefer his later stuff). I think I preferred series 5 to series 2 (apart from a few series 2 episodes like Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel, Girl in the Fireplace, and Army of Ghosts/Doomsday), so if series 6 and 7 got better like they did for series 3 and 4 with Tennant, Smith could possibly even be in the higher end of my doctor list. Alas, they gave us the shittiest series of new who or possibly even entire doctor who which was series 6 with a tiny amount of decent episodes, then series 7 which was rushed to a stupid level (when I say that, I mean the episodes were rushed with silly last minute endings and the doctor using his sonic screwdriver all the time to get out of bad situations)

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's him, I think it's the fault of the material he's had to work with. The series' format and the arc-based storytelling has ill-served Smith. His Doctor has been superfluous for the last two seasons, often serving as the kindly wizard that takes Amy, Rory, and Clara places so they can have adventures. And when he has scenes to push his character, they often revolve around the mystery of River Song. Smith has been crowded out, and I think that's the great tragedy of his era.

18. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

I seen very little classic who, but I'm surprised to see Hartnell at the bottom of people's lists! He was brilliant! I only saw a few first doctor stories, and I'm bothered by the silly plots and awful pacing, but the man himself was nothing short of stellar! Tennant and Smith are very good, but Hartnell's nuances are immediate classics!