Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The ME2 demo on PS3 was Lazarus Station and, I think, the Archangel mission on Omega. I don't know if there was a demo for the Xbox, can't really remember.

2. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Jesus......Just tried the multiplayer demo and either I suck and am way outta practice, or that shit is just plain crazy hard. Bioware wasn't kidding when they said it was tougher then ME2. But then again, I found the single player demo fairly easy and had no problem mowing down Cerberus punks and crazy Cannibals. Just seemed like in multiplayer that Cerberus grew some balls and were out to get me!

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

There is an Xbox demo, but it didn't come out until some point after the game's retail release.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did you have 4 players? Bioware has made it very clear that it's balanced for 4 and will be difficult-to-unplayable with less.

5. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Played the demo and looking forward to it. Will we be able to adjust our imported character's features as we could in ME2?

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^According to the project director, yes we can.

Just about to try out the MP now. I suspect the inability to pause combat to select abilities is really going to trip me up!

[edit] Just finished a two or three hour MP session and I'm surprised by two things; 1) I didn't suck at it and 2) I totally lost track of time. Seriously, I'm not usually a MP gamer but I can see myself getting hooked on this.

The only thing that's missing is a way to communicate with squadmates (without a microphone.) Something simple like the command wheel in the Left 4 Dead games should work quite nicely.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  7. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just got killed fairly quickly though even single player wasn't that difficult

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

As ATimson pointed out a few posts back, you need a full team of four players (three at a pinch) or things just degenerate fast. I was lucky in that I found a team that was competent and we did well (only failed one out of four missions), but later on I was stuck with a bunch of numpties and it just wasn't happening.

Probably the best thing to do is to split off two-and-two for objectives and all hunker near an ammo cache for the standard waves. It also helps if your chosen buddy is of a complementary class. By which I mean at least one of you needs to be a biotic, because guardians are a major pain unless you can relive them of their riot shields.

It's also vital to long term survival to prioritize your targets. Combat engineers drop turrets so they need to be taken care of asap. Phantoms are also a huge threat if you let them get too close.

Word of warning, twice now I've tried to buy an equipment pack only to have it fail. The first time it was a veterans pack which cost me 20,000 credits and left me with nothing to show for it! Grr.

9. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, unlocks are a bit annoying. It feels like an MMO mechanic (grind for credits, then gamble that you'll get something you want. You get bubkis. Repeat ad nauseum).

10. HotRod

Ok, finally had a good squad going and started to kick some Cerberus ass. Gotta say now that I've had some better luck I'm loving it. Hats off to Bioware for pulling off so well what so many thought would suck.

11. Skywalker

Yeah, I decided to check out the multiplayer this morning now that it's available to everyone, and it's pretty fun once you get used to it. I was doing pretty well with my turian Sentinel, though to be honest I'd rather play a Vanguard.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Funny you should say that, I just logged off after getting a Drell vanguard in a veteran pack. ;)

I already have a human female with a charge/nova focus so I'm specing this one as a sniper vanguard (trust me, it's not as dumb as it sounds!)

13. Skywalker

I don't really like how races and classes are purely random. Everyone's got their own favorite race they'd like to play as. It might have worked better if every class started out with just humans and you had to unlock other races as you leveled up, or something like that.

14. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not a big fan of the randomness either. But I'm sure they'll be happy to sell us specific unlocks as DLC for a buck or two a pop.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You know, I'm actually OK with it. To me, it's only a grind if the combat isn't entertaining in and of itself. While I'd like to have had an Asari adept or a Salarian infiltrator instead, I'm not about to keep playing *just* so I can get the chance of getting the race I want. I keep playing because so far, I'm enjoying it. I'm sure sooner or later I'll get the ones I'm looking forward too and who knows, maybe I'll have more fun than I thought I would with one of the random drops.

I think it also somewhat levels the playing field so that the hardcore gamers who'll play all day are just as likely to get some good gear as the casual gamers who just have the odd hour free every other day.

16. Skywalker

Well, I'm still not a fan of the randomized gear, but I am enjoying the multiplayer. I'm still playing as my turian Sentinel, usually with a Mantis and a Predator. I've gotten pretty good at sniping Guardians through those slits in their shields. :D

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I WAS getting good at that, but somehow I've already lost the knack. Probably too much time playing as either a vanguard or an engineer.

As for the packs, it's really not so bad. For one thing they only cost 5000c for the recruit pack and 20,000c for the veteran. Considering that I usually make around 15,000 per round, I find I'm buying vet packs fairly regularly. As for the contents, it's not really *that* random. I mean you're always guaranteed to get some of the basic consumables (rockets, medigel, etc), plus a few one-use stat-boosters and either a weapon upgrade or a new character. Its only been a few days and already I've accumulated a quarrian engineer, the drell vanguard, and the turian sentinel characters as well as the mattock, revenant, tempest, viper, phalanx, scimitar and the claymore.

Actually the recruit pack is fairly reliable at getting upgrades for the small arms. My shuriken is already up to model IX and I think my predator is a VII or an VIII. Look at it this way, you can think of it as adding to the roleplay dynamic. There's a war on and supplies a strained. you have to take what you can get. ;)

Tell you what is bugging me though; no radar. Yesterday I got snuck up on by a damn Atlas! Oh and there's this weird bug which makes some of your abilities drop off the quickbar. Anyone else run into that one? I think it only happens when you switch classes between rounds.

18. HotRod

I'm loving the work they did with the sound in ME3. Even the Avenger now sounds like a bad ass piece of hardware. Not that I had anything against the Avenger before. It's actually my favorite gun in the series. Yeah when it started out it was kinda weak, but once it was fully upgraded she was a pretty damn fine weapon. Plus it's the iconic Mass Effect gun! I almost wanna drop some serious cash and pick up one of those $600 buck replicas. Though I'm afraid my gal would kill me with it if I did.

19. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a little late to the party, but I only just got the demo.

The thing that bothers me, and bothered me when I saw the E3 videos, is the almost complete lack of dialogue choices. Even on the role-playing mode. Has Bioware confirmed that they were cut from the demo? I won't be at all happy if this is how the final game is.

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think they said back during E3 that yes, most of the dialogue choices were cut down for the purposes of the demo. In fact I think the E3 demo had more options, including one with the Krogan female. You may have noticed that her and Shepard's dialogue automatically varies slightly depending on your previous choices.

It might also be worth remembering that in ME2, it's not until you run into Jacob that you have anything close to a real conversation. All the bits with Liara/Ash/Kaiden and Joker are the same basic paragon/renegade binary choices. Either way, I wouldn't worry.

P.S. I just got me a Krogan soldier class! :D