Farscape - anything I need to know?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by backstept, Feb 17, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My mom watched the finale in another room of the house (having never seen the show before). I was watching it in the basement, and as soon as it ended, I walked up the stairs, and my mom yelled, "You must be so pissed!" :lol:

2. NumberSix

NumberSix Lieutenant Red Shirt

^ Haha. Lucky for me I didn't watch the whole series until recently and had the PeaceKeeper Wars ready to go, so after a brief moment of :eek:, I put in the next dvd and was fine :D

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I just watched the whole series again, and even though I had the PK Wars DVDs right there and I know how the whole thing ends, I still got a chill when I heard "... and finally, on Farscape".

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That's not how I understand it. From what I've read in interviews, the producers were going back and forth from renewal to cancellation all the way up to the filming of the final episode--as documented in David Kemper's impromptu speech announcing the cancellation during the filming of "Bad Timing," which came as a surprise to everybody.

5. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Urgh, it would have been odd had they not done The Peacekeeper Wars. Ending the show on Bad Timing would have been, well, bad timing...

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And yet, that's how we thought it had ended. It was 2 years later before The Peacekeeper Wars happens, and that was only after a lot of fan backlash.

7. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Exactly, at the time the last episode ended, there was no plan in place for the PKW mini-series, as far as all of us fans knew, it was done. I joined what was then called the "Save Farscape" website, which is now know as the "Watch Farscape" website, and took part in many of the efforts to get the show back. Heh, my wife was part of the infamous "Send Bonnie Hammer bras" incident and I did several other things myself. From what I can see "Farscape: The PeaceKeeper Wars" was announced in May 2004, so from the time of the cancellation, Sept. '02, until this announcement, none of us had any idea if there was going to be anymore Farscape.

Harvey, I'm just going by when I heard the show was cancelled and when the episodes aired here in the states. On Sept. 6th '02 David Kemper and others stated that the show had been cancelled. I'm not sure when I found out about it, but I joined the "Save Farscape" site in Feb. '03 so, obviously, sometime before that. The last episode, "Bad Timing" is listed as showing on March 21st '03, so that's where my timeline comes from.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  8. marplanauta

marplanauta Commander Red Shirt

So, i've just finished watching Farscape. It's quite good, definitely worth watching once. I would not watch it again, even though i enjoyed it. Some episodes really lagged, but all in all, it was good in its "campiness". The first half of the 4th season was the worse, in my opinion, coming out of an excellent 3rd season. Thankfully it got better and i had to watch the last 5 episodes one after the other. I think that Bad Timing is as good a finale as PKW. If it would have been the last of Farscape, it would have been true to its spirit, breaking the mold.

Off to see Jericho now, I have a thing for lost causes ;)

ps: i really wanted to see Zhaan in the PKW, it's a pity she wasn't there instead of the annoying Sark or Noranti

9. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I keep hearing that from people about Bad Timing. Personally though, I think they deserved the somewhat happy ending they got in PKW.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"Bad Timing" would have been an acceptable finale if they cut out the cliffhanger. As it is, however, I don't care how goofy Farscape is; these characters deserved a real ending.

11. marplanauta

marplanauta Commander Red Shirt

i suppose that if you spent 4 years with these characters, you would be more involved, but i only watched for a couple of months, so i thought it was fitting

12. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

"Bad Timing" aired in March 2003, but it was filmed way back in September 2002. So yes, the plug was pulled just as they were filming the finale. There was no time to change anything.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I should correct myself, too. Kemper's speech was during the filming of A Constellation of Doubt, the final episode filmed. It truly appears to me as if they weren't sure on cancellation/renewal until the very last day, from the versions I've heard on the Starburst DVDs from Kemper, Henson, Browder, and Black.