Why was Kes written off the show?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Kooz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Writers tend to favor certain characters over others.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just like parents.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never really found her to have much personality beyond sweet, wide eyed and super intelligent. Now maybe that's enough for some people but it didn't grab me.

I do think there could have been a huge amount of work done with only living for 9 years if they had her on a 7 year show. She could have been quite aged in seasons 6 and 7, if she was in a relationship there would have been those issues etc.. many things could have been done with this. I do not think she would have stayed with Tom if she had paired with him as she would have outgrown him intellectuality and emotionally in a month at her rate of development.

Really it's like the Maquis storyline, would have taken long term planning and infused the show and for whatever reason they just didn't want that.

4. Guy Gardener

She had her second birthday in twisted, which was originally supposed to be one of the last episodes of season one.

Right out of the gate it was the "Glue is coming out of my hands, I'm going to adhere to you, so that you can't run away for the next sixty hours while I keep banging you whether you're awake , asleep or crying/begging for me to stop because you're chaffing and bleeding."

Then in warlord she was planing orgies as an after event to a massacre, not that it was really her, but Dark Kes really highlighted how "nice" she was in the regular continuity.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If I remember in the original UK VHS releases, it was part of season 1. But if it was a case of the writers found it hard to right for her and played it safe by going with a character that's easier to writer. Where is the challange in that?

6. Guy Gardener

No challenge, just money.

7. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They wanted to put Seven of Nine on the show and budjet wouldn't pay for both.

8. Guy Gardener

You remember how the budget used to allow for Seska and Kulluh and all their minions? That was a second tier of actors and some additional permanent sets....

Berman scrapped all that to increase their cgi budget.

If they wanted to keep Jennifer, or more accurately "Get Jeri" then all they had to do is reduce the cgi budget back to where it was in seaosn 2, or at least what it was adjusted for inflation.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Best CGI moment was Species 8472 crawling up the hull..

10. Guy Gardener

Why am I thinking about looking at Wang's Wang under a microscope in "The Disease"?

Medically speaking, for just in case, or for when he writes a book about the issues of travelling through unknown space, the Doctor would have kept a sample of Harry's STD in a Stasis cooler which medical Students would be studying for the next thousand years.

Actually.

All the diseases, all the crew happened upon.

You can't tell me that the doctor wasn't planning some sort of medical experimentation on caretakers corpse eventually? At the very least of they were able to produce a clone with his memories it would have helped their journey so much.

11. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

The People magazine poll Wang won signalled to the producers and to the studio and to the execs at UPN that he could deliver eyeballs. That's why they kept him - because they had nothing to do with Wang being nominated or chosen for that "50 Most Beautiful People" poll, but they [UPN] weren't going to turn down free press for their flagship show.

Apples and oranges. Just because DS9 did it, it doesn't necessarily follow that Voyager could. And vice versa.

Worf was brought in to shake things up (much the way Seven of Nine was) and also to service the larger storyline involving the breakdown of relations with the Klingons during DS9's fourth season. And while yes, it's true (mostly for budgetary reasons) that each show only had a certain number of regular cast members, I doubt very much it was the defining reason behind Lien's being let go.

The major difference being that DS9 was a syndicated show and Voyager was not only on an actual network, but was that network's flagship series. I've worked on both a syndicated show and am currently on a network show - and you better believe that the level of input, influence and "interference," as it were, is absolutely everpresent when an actual network is involved.

12. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lets keep it in context.
    None of that was a factor during the first 3 seasons for the character. Neelix had a strong fan following during the shows start, more so than Kes or Kim.
    Besides, if the writers feel no interest in writing for the character of Kes, then she is actually the more expendable. They still had interest in Neelix.

13. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

can you cite support for that, your idea that Neelix was more popular in early seasons, and more popular than Kim or Kes? I really tend to doubt that. I remember in the early days of the interwebs when there were polls of Voyager fans, and Neelix routinely came in as most unpopular character.

14. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I think it would have been a mistake to get rid of Neelix too, Phillips was the best actor they had.

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  16. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember that too. It was almost like the "anti-Wesley" campaigns some years earlier.

Neelix got a lot of criticizm and there were also some debates about Janeway and Paris, many liked them but there were those who didn't. Kim was criticized for being boring. As for Kes, she wasn't the most popular character but definitely not the most disliked either.

17. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know every Trek Con I went to during the early years of Voyager there was a fairly large group of middle aged women that started a Neelix fan club and had members in every city turn out to show their love for the character. Ethan Philips acknowledge them as did other cast members that were guest too. If the actors saw such dedication and turn out, them B&B were aware of it too from them. That type of fan support can often save a character from getting the boot on a TV, much like Matthew Fox's character on LOST who was supposed to be killed off first season but huge fan support of the character made the TPTB change their minds.
    So yes to spite what was being said online. fans of Neelix turned up physically to show their numbers and more support for Neelix than Kim or Kes. IMO that shows a great love and dedication towards him.

That and again, he was still the only cast member in full latex make up. Him being the only new "alien" looking character would keep his job fairly safe too.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  18. spot_loves_data

spot_loves_data Captain Captain

Ditto. I always assumed Neelix was kept on the show because Phillips was friends with TPTB. I don't have any support for that, it's just that I couldn't think of any other reason to keep him despite his lack of popularity. After all, the audience hated Wesley and he was written off.

I'd trade Neelix for Kes in a heartbeat. The Kes character was just starting to get really interesting when she was got her superpowers and went away. Warlord was just so damn good.

19. Guy Gardener

Neelix was supposed to be annoying. they wrote an annoying character to piss off the Vulcan.

Success!

Wesley was written to be supercool. The Children watching the show were supposed to want to be Wesley or smooch with Wesley... The adults should have wanted him to be their child, who they could be infinitely proud of for being thoroughly upstanding.

Epic fail.

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Huh? Since when was "Juggernaut" not a "regular" episode?

"Juggernaut" is simply "the 115th episode of Star Trek: Voyager, the 21st episode of the fifth season", according to Wikipedia.