The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Jan 28, 2012.

1. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Anyone notice something peculiar about the USS Hood in the HD episode? ;-)

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

You mean the lower sensor dome being lit up?

3. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Other than her changing speed?

4. gaghyogi49

Nope, something is missing...

5. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Oh, I can't be bothered to turn on my TV right now... what's missing?

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just got my disc and watched SotF. I didn't think the opening shot was too bad. The moving starfield was odd, but not really a huge deal or enough to ruin the shot for me. The up-conversion of the lost scene was done well. It was noticeable, but only because I was looking for it.

I never noticed it on the VHS's, but the transition with the ringed planet in the S3+ credits is very noticeable. I watched the opening credits twice and wasn't expecting anything, but that transition really stood out. It's almost disorienting.

I'm very impressed so far, and that's coming from someone with only a 32" 720p TV with only stereo sound. I'm going to try and ration the last 2 episode to last the week.

7. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My brother and I watched about an hour of Farpoint, and the HD resolution is amazing in the detail it brings out!

We did notice however, that in the holodeck, you can see Brent Spiner's natural skin tone on his neck, hands, and lips; earlier, his lips are remarkably pink on the battle bridge, as if he'd been kissing Yar and got some of her lipstick on him.

The ship at warp at the odd angle is STILL there. Deneb looks a bit 'meh.' Especially with what seem like 20 of the same establishing shot without much, if any variation. I would've preferred a CG planet so we can get more details on the planet, and new angles of the Enterprise in orbit.

As someone stated before, the transporter effect doesn't reflect on the floor as you would expect if it were real. Also, when Riker along beams up to the stardrive section, his transporter effect doesn't look like it lines up quite right.

There is noticeable grain on the image so overall, while the colors are brighter and the detail is sharper, there's still a 'muted' feeling to the episode.

When the Enterprise fires aft torpedoes, it looks painfully like a model. Here, CG would've been an improvement in mine eyes. I'll finish up the episode tonight. Overall, I have to say I much enjoy the HD over the SD, but I wish they would take a TOS-R view and make improvements when you can to enhance the suspension of disbelief (makeup flaws, FX improvements, CG planets/ships).

8. gaghyogi49

The flashing, ventral position light is missing. It was very big and noticeable in the original episode, now it is not flashing at all, while the Enterprise-D's light keeps on flashing merrily. ;-)

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Can't disagree more. I want as much of the original episodes to remain intact as possible.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I wasn't crazy about that either. Now there's one starfield in the inner ring, and another starfield in the outer ring, going in opposite directions.

It just makes the whole thing look even odder than before.

11. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Just arrived! Is there supposed to be a $5 coupon inside for S1?

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Seriously though, what were the producers thinking changing Troi's appearance so much from the pilot? Watching it again I was struck by how much prettier she was, and how much more warmth she projected on screen than in later episodes.

That really cold and severe look they gave her just didn't look good on her at all.

13. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Only heard from UK buyers about a £5 rebate coupon. No mention of it from US buyers.

My fellow Americans, anyone get a coupon?

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't see one in mine. A $5 coupon would certainly make me more motivated to buy the first season on blu-ray, especially since I have to watch my pennies anyway.

15. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Re: Farpoint Audio Glitch?

Agreed.

don't mess with the grain!

There has seldom, if ever, been a grain reduction that didn't go overboard and make things worse.

16. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Thanks guys. Maybe they will make us cut the proof of purchase from our inserts to qualify or something....

Ok watching EaF, my system is a 1080p projector, approx 100" diagonal screen with a 5.1 DTS audio tuner. It looks amazing, and I have to say the sound is really impressing me as much as the picture!

I am going to wait for the sun to set, so I have better theater conditions in my living room!

17. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

CBS may figure that US Trek fans who are willing to buy the sampler don't require the added incentive to purchase S1 (even though S1 seems to be the most maligned of TNG)

It was mentioned somewhere that the visual improvements of HD may bring some new respect for early TNG and I hope that's the case as the look and feel of the show was quite unique compared to later seasons.

18. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

This new release of EaF has got me rethinking my position on the first season (which I thought was painfully mediocre at times) - it definitely has a new look and feel now with this remaster. The story obviously hasn't changed (and I just watched EaF a couple of weeks ago in fact), but I found myself enjoying the pilot so much more watching it in Blu-ray. I wonder how much of it is novelty factor? Will we all still feel as impressed on the 16th, 17th, and 18th episodes of season one?

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

A proofs of purchase thing would be cool, but then I'd have to cut into my box! :lol:

True, but every little bit helps!

I rather liked Season 1 and 2 of TNG, so for me, this is all a welcome treat.

20. trekfan_1

trekfan_1 Commander Red Shirt

For the most part the picture quality has blown me away. I've had to tinker with my TV's settings as it actually looks too bright.

BTW did anyone else think the picture looked fuzzy when the Bridge was first revealed in the opening scene of EAFP? It's only fuzzy for a few moments though.